enhanced driver's license?

jp98

Has anyone from Michigan, New York, Washington, or Vermont used an enhanced driver's license for their Caribbean cruise? My husband and I are taking his parents and sisters on a cruise Jan 7, 2013 on Constellation. It will be cheaper for them to get a Michigan enhanced drivers license instead of a passport.

Has anyone had problems using this identification? I already know the benefits of a passport (can be used for air travel, etc.). I just want to make sure we don't have any problems getting on the ship.

Thanks,

Julie

Has anyone from Michigan, New York, Washington, or Vermont used an enhanced driver's license for their Caribbean cruise? My husband and I are taking his parents and sisters on a cruise Jan 7, 2013 on Constellation. It will be cheaper for them to get a Michigan enhanced drivers license instead of a passport.

Has anyone had problems using this identification? I already know the benefits of a passport (can be used for air travel, etc.). I just want to make sure we don't have any problems getting on the ship.

Thanks,

Julie

Since the enhanced DLS are fairly new, I would definitely call the cruise line to see if they will be accepting them as ID.

Thanks,

Julie

I've had an enhanced drivers license since 7/26/09....I just checked.

At least five times traveling I have been told that I was the first enhanced driver's license that they had ever seen.

Although you are supposed to be able to use the enhanced license alone and without a birth certificate....this has been a bone of contention at times.....

In May of 2011 I had a very nasty customs agent tell me I am wrong....I had the birth certificate with me anyhow "just in case".........

When I first used it in 2009 the representatives in the cruise port had never seen one....they had no idea that it could be used without a license. They had to go and get a three page memo and read it line by line....... I didn't really care because I had my birth certificate "just in case".

You are supposed to be able to use the enhanced license without a birth certificate.....but in practice I have often been asked for it and I have not wanted to sit there arguing about it......

Just make sure it is a "closed loop cruise" because if you are on an open loop cruise you must have a passport.

I thought about having them bring their birth certificates too but that just defeats the purpose of getting the enhanced license. I can call Celebrity but as I've seen from other threads, I cold possibly get a few different answers.

The enhanced license shows identity and citizenship and it meets Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requirements so it should be accepted.

If my mother in law brings her birth certificate, will she also need her marriage license?

Julie

Enhanced in michigan is good in Can. and Mexico.. In the carabean last yr a friend of ours wasnt alowed to disembark in a couple of southern carabean countries because the enhanced wasnt recognised by the country.. Enhanced is restricted ... Islands wernt a problem but Panama , Costa rica and Columbia were .. CARL

I thought about having them bring their birth certificates too but that just defeats the purpose of getting the enhanced license. I can call Celebrity but as I've seen from other threads, I cold possibly get a few different answers.

The enhanced license shows identity and citizenship and it meets Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative requirements so it should be accepted.

If my mother in law brings her birth certificate, will she also need her marriage license?

Julie

Back when I still used a birth certificate, I was never asked for my marriage license nor my divorce decree. Cruise lines know that most adult women will not have the same last name on their birth certificate as they do on their photo ID (like a driver's license). As long as the name on her reservation is exactly the same as on her photo ID, there will be no problem.

Caution, although the enhanced DL is valid for return to the USA via ground or ship, it is NOT valid for admission to the USA via air. While I'm sure that all who have booked a closed loop cruise expect to return by ship, every year some number of passengers have medical emergencies or have other issues that require them to leave the cruise and return to the US via air. None of us are able to predict an accident or illness by our cruising party, or by a loved one at home. I have no idea how much trouble it would be to get a passport issued at a US consulate, but I think it is something to consider.

As Clint Eastwood said, "Do you feel lucky?"

Caution, although the enhanced DL is valid for return to the USA via ground or ship, it is NOT valid for admission to the USA via air. While I'm sure that all who have booked a closed loop cruise expect to return by ship, every year some number of passengers have medical emergencies or have other issues that require them to leave the cruise and return to the US via air. None of us are able to predict an accident or illness by our cruising party, or by a loved one at home. I have no idea how much trouble it would be to get a passport issued at a US consulate, but I think it is something to consider.

As Clint Eastwood said, "Do you feel lucky?"

You are absolutely correct. If someone has a medical emergency, they may need to receive treatment off the ship. Who knows where that may be? The Enhanced Driver's License is not accepted for entry from certain countries and is not valid for international air travel. I would not want to go on a cruise with the worry about gaining re-entry. A cruise is for relaxation. Spend the extra few dollars and get a passport!

Why would anyone get an enhanced license or a passport card to save money over a passport? These documents types are designed for those that do frequent land border crossings. While they are acceptable, theoretically, for closed loop cruises they are no more acceptable than a regular drivers license, or similar ID, and a copy of a birth certificate.

So if money is the issue then just bring your drivers license and birth certificate. If you want a document that will give you security while traveling then get a full passport. That is the only document that will allow you to fly home, or catch up with a missed ship, without a giant hassle in the event of an emergency or other unexpected situation.

Besides, you never know when the opportunity will come up in the future for travel outside the country which involves air flight.

Julie

I'm not sure I understand your comments. If you don't want to suggest that they bring a birth certificate then why bother asking your initial question in the first place. You asked if anyone had any experience and those that did indicated they had issues with the enhanced license. The fact that they shouldn't have issues doesn't make a real difference. When I get to the port I just want to check in quickly and get on the ship. I don't want to debate the adequacy of documents with the check in personnel and go through a hassle to prove I'm right.

Why would anyone get an enhanced license or a passport card to save money over a passport? These documents types are designed for those that do frequent land border crossings. While they are acceptable, theoretically, for closed loop cruises they are no more acceptable than a regular drivers license, or similar ID, and a copy of a birth certificate.

So if money is the issue then just bring your drivers license and birth certificate. If you want a document that will give you security while traveling then get a full passport. That is the only document that will allow you to fly home, or catch up with a missed ship, without a giant hassle in the event of an emergency or other unexpected situation.

Besides, you never know when the opportunity will come up in the future for travel outside the country which involves air flight.

I personally wouldn't travel with a Passport Card or Driver's License and BC, but I guess for some people it's just too much of a hassle to bring a full size Passport Book or whatever. We have had Passport Books for the past 5 years "just in case". You never know what may happen and it gives me greater peace of mind. It is 100% worth getting the Book and you will find that in the end, it is easier than not having it when you need it. So I would rate in order of best to worst - Passport Book (for all International travel), Passport Card (Only for Land/Sea North America crossings), Driver's License/BC same deal. Advantage to Passport Card over BC and DL- only needing to carry one small sized ID and no paper BC.

You are travelling abroad, not to the nearest supermarket...

Get a Passport is all I can recommend. it actually is amazing that I read over and over again posts like this of people not wanting to pay for a passport when travelling...A Passport is THE MOST essential thing in travel. get one. the cost is minimal compared with the trouble you'll get when stuck abroad with a totally useless driving license.

Thanks,

Julie

...that are regularly visited by thousands of people, on many different ships, operated by multiple companies. You are cruising with a well known and highly reputable cruiseline, on a relatively short, five day itinerary. What could possibly go wrong???? :confused:

PLEASE, get passports. The added expense will NOT be insignificant, :( but please, get passports.

Your entire trip COULD go without a single incident, for all members of your family, :) but PLEASE, get passports.

You could very well (and hopefully will) return from your trip and be REALLY upset that you completely WASTED all that money for NOTHING. :rolleyes: Please, get passports.

PLEASE don't risk betting against Murphy, he has SUCH a long track record. :eek: PLEASE, GET PASSPORTS.

Archived