Wonderful cruise on the MUSICA- any questions?

marc1255boats

We had a wonderful cruise on the Musica even after hearing all the bad reviews. The room was clean, the staff spoke english, and the ports were all wonderful. We did ship tours in most of the stops and they were all in English and ran without a hitch. The food was above average and if you didn't like something, there were plenty of alternative choices. We joined the ship in Bari and embarkation ran very smoothly. It was interesting because half the people at our table said they'd return and half said they wouldn't. We certainly would return. Any questions?

We had a wonderful cruise on the Musica even after hearing all the bad reviews. The room was clean, the staff spoke english, and the ports were all wonderful. We did ship tours in most of the stops and they were all in English and ran without a hitch. The food was above average and if you didn't like something, there were plenty of alternative choices. We joined the ship in Bari and embarkation ran very smoothly. It was interesting because half the people at our table said they'd return and half said they wouldn't. We certainly would return. Any questions?

Good for u............glad it was great.............we are doing our 4th on MSC in January.............

Hello

I have one question. We will be on the Musica this Sunday 14 Oct and what are the names of the restaurants one can go to for breakfact and lunch?

Thank you.

That's great to hear you had a good time! Makes a difference to the musica-bashing we've had for the last few reviews, I feel more confident in my choice now : )

I was wondering how you found getting from the ports to the towns generally if you did that? I think qyite a few of the ports of call are a little bit away from the detinations so was wondering if there were shuttle bus options etc and any rough prices if you recall?

Are there any excursions that were particular highlights for you?

And any other general tips/observations greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Sandy

It was interesting because half the people at our table said they'd return and half said they wouldn't. ...Any questions?

How many different cruise lines have you sailed on?

How many people at your table? That 50% would not repeat the MSC experience is not a stellar recommendation. Were the naysaysers more or less experienced cruisers than those who said they would repeat?

About getting into town during the ports. We took the ship tours and our table mates did it on their own so I can compare.

Bari- They have a shuttle service from the ship for around 8 euro but you can really walk if you're in decent shape.

Olympia. The port is really small so the main attraction is the ancient olympic ruins. They have buses that you can book right at the pier for around 20 euro. We did the ship tour for around 60 euro. No real difference other than ours included entrance fees and a guide to the museum and the ruins.

Santorini. Tender in to port and then either a 4 euro skyride or 5 euro donkey ride. We did the donkey ride and loved it.

Mykonos- You need to take a taxi or pay the 9-10 euro ship bus transfers. We rode the bus

Athens- We did a ship tour to the acroplois and museum for around 60-70 euro. Our table mates paid around 20 euro each way total for 3 people for a taxi ride the acropolis. I think I would take the taxi next time.

Corfu- We did a ship tour to Paleokatrista and it was worth every penny. I think it was around 40 euro. The most beautful scereny you will see. It also gives you time to shop in town. Take the optional boat tour for an additional 7 euro when you get to paleokatrista. If not, you'll can shop or visit the beach before heading to the monastary on top of the cliff.

Dubrovnik- We bought the bus transfer for around 9-10 euro and that's really the only way to do it. Highly recommend the skyride which overlooks the walled city. I think it was around $15 each but the views are breathtaking. Also pay to walk the walls if your not afraid of heights. Another favorite stop.

Venice- We did the tour to the Murano glass factory and a gondola ride for around 70 euro. Can't really beat that price. We opted not to take the tour back to the ship so we'd have more time to shop. That cost us an additional 8 euro for the water bus.

We've been on over 10 cruises from Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. I'd compare it most to Carnival. The reasons given by other passengers for not wanting to return were very vague such as not enough english being spoken and the quality of the food. Every annoucement was in english, my waiter spoke english, my cabin stewerd spoke english, and the tours were in english. There was so much food that if you didn't like something then you could find something else. I guess we're pretty laid back when it comes to alot of things but everything seemed to run very smoothly. We don't book cruises because of the cruise line. We booked it because it had 8 ports in 7 days. Just get off early and get on last and you'll have plenty of time to see the sights. If you have a positive attitude then you have a wonderful time. If you nit pick everyting then you'll forget why you left work to enjoy the time off.

That's great to hear you had a good time! Makes a difference to the musica-bashing we've had for the last few reviews, I feel more confident in my choice now : )

I was wondering how you found getting from the ports to the towns generally if you did that? I think qyite a few of the ports of call are a little bit away from the detinations so was wondering if there were shuttle bus options etc and any rough prices if you recall?

Are there any excursions that were particular highlights for you?

And any other general tips/observations greatly appreciated!

All the best,

Sandy

Sandy,

Marc has already given you great advise. I was on the ship the week before him and would add

Santorini - I was on the second tender off the ship so definitely early. I used the cable car but had to wait at least 40 minutes to go on it. Laterbon the queue was horrendous and I think soul take more than an hour. There was a third option for Inthink €20 which was a bout around to Oia with a bus transfer in to Oia itself, then onward to Fira but then you were own and had the

choice of cable car down (could be huge queue if you didn't come backmdown sharp), walk down or donkey down. Met a few people who also did this and thought it was fine. The queue for that seemed a lot shorter but then it cost more although it did include Oia as well as just Fira.

Corfu - I used the shuttle which I think was €7. drops you off right in town at the old fortress wherevthere isnantourist infomoffice dispensing free street maps. Esplanade and city centre were just a short walk away. This was one of my favouritenports, very easy tomexplore on yourbown and I plan to return for longer.

Yes, for Santorini make sure you wait in line a few minutes early at the tour desk when they hand out tender # tickets. They gave them out that morning before we anchored. We got tender # 1 so there was no line for the cable car and I doubt there's ever a line for the donkeys. LOL. We had to wait half an hour to take the cable car back down but MSC has reps at the cable car line to make sure everyone gets back to the ship. Just leave yourself some extra time on the way back down and you'll be fine.

Hi, thanks for all info. re: ports etc. We're going on 21st October, from Venice.

Flying from Birmingham and having to have 2 nights in Venice after the cruise as we couldn't get flight back to suit. But will be fun! Have been before to Venice and similar cruise with the ex husband, now taking my partner of 6 years who is not a fan of cruising! However I am hoping to persuade him otherwise as I love it. Have sailed with MSC twice before and have no complaints, this cruise certainly was a bargain and loads of ports too. Anyone else going on this cruise??

We've been on over 10 cruises from Princess, NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Carnival. I'd compare it most to Carnival. The reasons given by other passengers for not wanting to return were very vague such as not enough english being spoken and the quality of the food. Every annoucement was in english, my waiter spoke english, my cabin stewerd spoke english, and the tours were in english. There was so much food that if you didn't like something then you could find something else. I guess we're pretty laid back when it comes to alot of things but everything seemed to run very smoothly. We don't book cruises because of the cruise line. We booked it because it had 8 ports in 7 days. Just get off early and get on last and you'll have plenty of time to see the sights. If you have a positive attitude then you have a wonderful time. If you nit pick everyting then you'll forget why you left work to enjoy the time off.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. The reasons given by your tablemates who didn't like the cruise (e.g., not enough English spoken and poor quality of food) are not "vague" reasons, per se. You just seem to disagree with their opinions, which, of course, is your prerogative.

I do concur with you that for people like you who apparently want an intensive port itinerary, but who "don't book cruises because of the cruise line" and don't "nit pick" - MSC may be a fine choice. However, given your admittedly "laid back" attitude about service and food, what you consider "nit picking" may simply be an expression of opinion by others that the level of food, service, accomodations, etc. offered on other comparably priced lines is better than MSC's product.

Also, while a positive attitiude no doubt enables one to overcome shortcomings in service and food etc, it would be better not to have to rely on one's own laid back attitude about such things. A positive attitude alone doesn't ensure a wonderful time, unless of course, a wonderful time is defined in a very odd way.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. The reasons given by your tablemates who didn't like the cruise (e.g., not enough English spoken and poor quality of food) are not "vague" reasons, per se. You just seem to disagree with their opinions, which, of course, is your prerogative.

I do concur with you that for people like you who apparently want an intensive port itinerary, but who "don't book cruises because of the cruise line" and don't "nit pick" - MSC may be a fine choice. However, given your admittedly "laid back" attitude about service and food, what you consider "nit picking" may simply be an expression of opinion by others that the level of food, service, accomodations, etc. offered on other comparably priced lines is better than MSC's product.

Also, while a positive attitiude no doubt enables one to overcome shortcomings in service and food etc, it would be better not to have to rely on one's own laid back attitude about such things. A positive attitude alone doesn't ensure a wonderful time, unless of course, a wonderful time is defined in a very odd way.

I would say to anyone who complains about English not being spoken on MSC that they shouldn't have booked the cruise. It's an Italian Cruise line, and every review states that you don't hear much English. What are these people doing on the cruise in the first place?

Poor Quality of Food: To each his/her own. Serving 3000 people every night isn't going to be easy. I found there to be enough choices to find something worth while. The food was above average, but it's a budget cruise line - what should people who do their research be expecting?

I believe the 'nit-picking' referenced here is correlated with the lack of research done by most people who book these cruises. With a cheap cruise line such as MSC, being flexible and open-minded is a necessity.

I think your response was thought out, but I believe 'service and food' ARE vague answers/reasons. What about the service? What about the food?

Was the service too in your face, non-existant, rude, untimely...? Was the food cold, too hot, not enough, too much, not a good selection...?

Nevertheless, I feel MSC is a budget line and expectations (and proper research) should reflect that.

All the best.

Archived