Panama Canal partial transit

erbunny

Princess is the only line offering the cruise to Lake Gatun and turning around, ending up back at the starting point. As my DH just can't tolerate flying anymore, this looks like our best bet to see the canal. I would really appreciate feedback from anyone who has done this trip. We are thinking of 2014.

Thanks much, and happy cruising !:)

If you are doing the partial transit, the only tours you can take of the Canal are through Princess. The location where the tenders dock in Gatun Lake is in the middle nowhere. You can do a small ship through the canal or a train that travels close to the canal and has a stop at the Miraflores Lock and a bus to the Pacific among others.

Excellent choice. We have done the island and are repeating this cruise on the coral.

As others have suggested you can see the first locks on the ship and take the tour on a small boat right through to the pacific. we did this once and another time took the train tour which was good as well.

There are many other good tours . Or you can stay on the ship and come back through which we may do this time.

We really liked the island princess.

My dh also will not fly so I thoroughly understand your situation! You have to be very creative! Lol!

I believe Holland America also has partial transits that go thru the Gatun Locks and have tours from the lake. This is also a 10 or 11 day round trip from Ft. Lauderdale usually on the Zuiderdam.

I did the HAL partial in April and loved it. I would strongly recommend doing the ferry to the Pacific side. You get up close and personal with the canal (you can even touch the sides while the water is lowered and feel the vibes of those who worked, and some died, on this amazing project). You then board a bus and rejoin the ship on the Atlantic/Caribbean side. A wonderful excursion, that I will never forget.

Maureen

Princess is the only line offering the cruise to Lake Gatun and turning around, ending up back at the starting point. As my DH just can't tolerate flying anymore, this looks like our best bet to see the canal. I would really appreciate feedback from anyone who has done this trip. We are thinking of 2014.

Probably a lot of people argue that a full transit is the best choice and that probably is true. However, the partial transit you are looking at is a great alternative when you consider not having to fly across country. By combining your partial transit cruise along with the tour that takes you through the Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut you will have been through a large portion of the Canal and will have seen some of the best parts as well. This cruise and tour combination also gives you a chance to see the Canal operations from your large Panamax ship and then be able to contrast it with seeing everything from a smaller vessel, something you are not able to do when you are on a full transit. A great comparison.

As others have pointed out, you can expand your choices by giving HAL a look.

We haven't done this trip yet, but will be boarding next week. If you want to go all the way thru to the Pacific, Princess offers an excursion on a smaller boat that goes all the way. Then you take a bus back to Colon to re-board the Princess ship.

We are looking forward to this trip.

Joan

Seeing only 3 locks still gives your the gist of the canal......

Not really. It gives you the gist of the locks, but not the canal.

You miss the transit through the Gaillard Cut which was the biggest challenge in creating the Canal. You also miss going past the Continental Divide.

Of course taking the small boat excursion through the rest of the canal will give you the whole experience.

If you get off at Gatun Lake and take the smaller boat thru the other locks, to the pacific side, how long of a ride is it back from the pacific side to Colon (where we would reboard the ship)?

I honestly don't remember how long the bus ride was, but I think it was about 90 minutes. The reason I don't recall is because we had a guide who gave us a lot of history and information about Panama and their relationship with the USA, and it was interesting (although a bit off putting a few times), so the time flew. Also, we got back to Colon in PLENTY of time to do some shopping at the open market, which was really well worth the time. When our bus arrived back in Colon the ship was just backing into it's berth.

I was a magical day.

Archived