Oasis Non-Issue

jmom5

I went on the Oasis in September for the first time. My DH and I took our 5 kids and extra for my daughter. I was going to write a review but just never got around to it - but I want to address one thing that seems to be a concern for many about the Oasis/Allure - and something I was worried about until I went.

I did not have reservations for any show prior to boarding, nor did I make reservations for any show once I boarded, and I got to see every show when I wanted to see them.

I was worried about this, I only book my excursions ahead of time - everything else I like to play by ear and do what I feel like at the moment. I see a lot of people not wanting to book these ships because they think they can't do anything without planning months ahead, but I found that its not true at all and wanted to share the good news with others that are concerned about that:)

BTW - Oasis is amazing and my only complaint about this ship is the Windjammer - too small!

Thanks for this. Don't know that I'll go on one of these monster ships, but you did address one of my major concerns about them. One of the things I like most about cruising is making one reservation and you're done. Dinner is already planned, eat breakfast & lunch whenever you want, go so a show if the mood strikes you. Everything is pretty much taken care of -- all you have to do is show up.

I have been reading about people stressing out about not getting a reservation for this show or that show, or the specialty dining reservations are opened yet -- MONTHS before the ship even sails. WAY too much stress for my vacation.

Now that I know that I can still "just show up" on one of these ships, I might consider them.

My co-worker went on the Oasis last year and could only attend one show without the pre-reservation. When she learned that I was going, she highly suggested that I make reservations NOW! That was a month ago for our 12-1-12 cruise. I also like to "plan as I go", and not to stress over stuff. I made the reservations and will go if I want to go, at least I have them. If I don't want to, I have that option as well. I'll just give the tickets away to someone else, or give them back to guest services. Better to have them and not need them, that to want them and can't have them!!!

My co-worker went on the Oasis last year and could only attend one show without the pre-reservation. When she learned that I was going, she highly suggested that I make reservations NOW! That was a month ago for our 12-1-12 cruise. I also like to "plan as I go", and not to stress over stuff. I made the reservations and will go if I want to go, at least I have them. If I don't want to, I have that option as well. I'll just give the tickets away to someone else, or give them back to guest services. Better to have them and not need them, that to want them and can't have them!!!

You do not actually recieve a ticket that you hold in your hand. The information is in the computer that they retrieve by scanning your sea pass card. People who do not have a reservation for a show can line up outside and 10 minutes before the show, they can come in and take any available remaining seats.

Thanks for this. Don't know that I'll go on one of these monster ships, but you did address one of my major concerns about them. One of the things I like most about cruising is making one reservation and you're done. Dinner is already planned, eat breakfast & lunch whenever you want, go so a show if the mood strikes you. Everything is pretty much taken care of -- all you have to do is show up.

I have been reading about people stressing out about not getting a reservation for this show or that show, or the specialty dining reservations are opened yet -- MONTHS before the ship even sails. WAY too much stress for my vacation.

Now that I know that I can still "just show up" on one of these ships, I might consider them.

Oh yeah, I agree with the OP. No worries in getting in for the shows. Last year on Oasis, we spoke to several different people who didn't make reservations in advance and they got in to all the shows they wanted to also.

Even though (some of us) have reservations, that certainly doesn't mean our plans won't change once we get on. I also don't like having to make reservations (one HUGE hesitation I had about Oasis), but it really worked out just fine. We went to a few shows, but didn't go to 2 of them. (Had other fun things we wanted to do).

So, now that we've eased your mind about show reservations, how else can we help convince you that you should try one of them out?:D:)

While I don't doubt the OPs sincerity or accuracy, keep in mind he went in September in case you think about reserving for Spring break of during the summer. When we went in May, we could have "walked" into any show (we reserved all our shows) but its just my wife and I. People in groups of 4 or more on our cruise had no chance of sitting together in many shows with the Aquatheater being the worst. All that said, I do encourage you to try it, we found nothing stressful about it for the two of us.

Oh yeah, I agree with the OP. No worries in getting in for the shows. Last year on Oasis, we spoke to several different people who didn't make reservations in advance and they got in to all the shows they wanted to also.

Even though (some of us) have reservations, that certainly doesn't mean our plans won't change once we get on. I also don't like having to make reservations (one HUGE hesitation I had about Oasis), but it really worked out just fine. We went to a few shows, but didn't go to 2 of them. (Had other fun things we wanted to do).

So, now that we've eased your mind about show reservations, how else can we help convince you that you should try one of them out?:D:)

Offer to pay for it?

I went on the Oasis in September for the first time. My DH and I took our 5 kids and extra for my daughter. I was going to write a review but just never got around to it - but I want to address one thing that seems to be a concern for many about the Oasis/Allure - and something I was worried about until I went.

I did not have reservations for any show prior to boarding, nor did I make reservations for any show once I boarded, and I got to see every show when I wanted to see them.

I was worried about this, I only book my excursions ahead of time - everything else I like to play by ear and do what I feel like at the moment. I see a lot of people not wanting to book these ships because they think they can't do anything without planning months ahead, but I found that its not true at all and wanted to share the good news with others that are concerned about that:)

BTW - Oasis is amazing and my only complaint about this ship is the Windjammer - too small!

Your comments are spot on. Same for Allure.

You don't actually receive a ticket for any of the shows on the Oasis class. Your key scanned as you enter the "show place" if you reserved a space, you are allowed to enter. If you did not reserve a space, you must enter the line of hopefuls.

You don't actually receive a ticket for any of the shows on the Oasis class. Your key scanned as you enter the "show place" if you reserved a space, you are allowed to enter. If you did not reserve a space, you must enter the line of hopefuls.

oh!! hmmm?! ok! then maybe I'll go on to the shows then! wow! glad you said something... interesting!

Having been on both ships, I highly recommend at least make the reservations online. I mean, its pretty easy to do and if you are doing something else at the time, just don't go. There is no reason to stress enough that one avoids these ships. They have awesome shows that you shouldn't miss. When I was onboard both these ships, those without reservations started lining up 45 minutes ahead of time. That in itself would make me make reservations. For the comedy shows, which were sold out, I do not believe either wait lines were let in to the time of my show. The comedy club is very small.

Thanks for your thoughts. The kids must have had a ball. I agree about the Windjammer. Went once, never to return. Terrible. :)

We did go in September and if you sail during the high season, maybe going without reservations wouldn't work.

The only thing we stood in line for was the comedy club on the second night because we knew it was small and we wanted to make sure we could make it. Turns out, they have 2 shows every night so if we would have waited a couple of days, it would have been easy to get in.

If you do have a larger group and you all want to sit together, not reserving may not work for you either. It was just dh and myself going to shows so that was never a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts. The kids must have had a ball. I agree about the Windjammer. Went once, never to return. Terrible. :)

The kids loved it and now they don't want to go back on Freedom!

We went to the WJ a couple of times and always walked away a little disappointed. I was hoping that the reviews on here were wrong when talking about it but unfortunately most were right on!

But, it was our favorite cruise yet!

Having been on both ships, I highly recommend at least make the reservations online. I mean, its pretty easy to do and if you are doing something else at the time, just don't go. There is no reason to stress enough that one avoids these ships. They have awesome shows that you shouldn't miss. When I was onboard both these ships, those without reservations started lining up 45 minutes ahead of time. That in itself would make me make reservations. For the comedy shows, which were sold out, I do not believe either wait lines were let in to the time of my show. The comedy club is very small.
50+ days out from our Allure cruise and all the shows were sold out and not available.

50+ days out from our Allure cruise and all the shows were sold out and not available.

They are only "sold out" for online booking. When you board, there will be availability for booking. I would know exactly what I want and book as soon as you get on board. You should be fine.

The comedy show venue is minute compared to the others, very small. If you want to do that, I strongly suggest reservations. Also, even with reservations, there will be quite a few waiting in line without reservations, and they started letting those folks in 15 minutes before show time.

The ice show I also recommend reservations, as that is not as large as the main theater.

Archived