Cruising vs. All Inclusive Resort

xplnusa

I haven't done either yet. I'm going on my very first cruise in a couple of weeks and I'm excited. However I've always been intrigued by the AI deals as well.

Can anyone thats done both give me some opinions and what you found to be the pro's and con's of both please? I'm not a big drinker so the unlimited alcohol isn't a deciding factor to me for AI.

Thanks,

Heath

I've done a few all inclusives and 2 cruises (one good, one bad), im currently all inclusive in Mexico and i must admit i'd rather be on a cruise as the food is much better and i have no issues with my food allergies there!

Do you mind sharing the resort? We're always looking for new vacation spots to try, and now that we have kids, good children's programs are key!

Look into Beaches Resorts. There Beaches Resorts all over the Caribbean. This would be the same company that operates Sandals Resorts. Beaches is strictly designed for families and kids, whereas Sandals is for couples.

I have done both and frankly I find the AI more relaxing . The resorts usually have a few restaurants , lots of water activities and entertainment . I like cruising but if you are a beach person it is easier to just get up and hit the beach not have to worry about getting off the ship , taking a cab & having limited time at a beach.

We'd love to know to which you've been and would recommend.

~~~~

I'd agree that they're very different experiences. My husband would pick an AI over a cruise any day. What he prefers is the relaxation aspect of the AI. He can't stand the fact that he is on such a schedule on the ship - if he's on an excursion, he can't be on his own time, it's the ships time. Even on a ship excursion. He can't enjoy the ports on his time. Everything, other than food costs extra and the pools are so small. He doesn't like how crowded the pool decks are either and other than our Celebrity cruise he has found the food to be just OK.

We've been to probably 15 or so AI's and he finds for the most part that type of vacation to be on his terms. We have learned to find resorts with multiple restaurants, which include A la carte choices so we aren't at buffets every meal. We choose resorts with several pools and large beaches. We always plan an excursion or two, which are the only things we pay for the entire trip. We certainly don't go to the AI's because all of the alcohol is included, but it's nice to know that we're not running up huge bar tabs everytime we do order a drink here or there. We're not huge drinkers and we don't party at night, either at the AI's or on cruises.

I definitely see his perspective. For me, I love to vacation and look at the cruise vacation for what it is. I don't try to compare it to an AI. I love the cruises for seeing new destinations. I love waking up and being in a new port every day. I love sitting on my balcony and watching the ocean.

So, I'm not sure for me it's one or another. I've been fortunate enough to be able to do both, and would continue to do both types of vacations.

I'd agree that they're very different experiences. My husband would pick an AI over a cruise any day. What he prefers is the relaxation aspect of the AI. He can't stand the fact that he is on such a schedule on the ship - if he's on an excursion, he can't be on his own time, it's the ships time. Even on a ship excursion. He can't enjoy the ports on his time. Everything, other than food costs extra and the pools are so small. He doesn't like how crowded the pool decks are either and other than our Celebrity cruise he has found the food to be just OK.

We've been to probably 15 or so AI's and he finds for the most part that type of vacation to be on his terms. We have learned to find resorts with multiple restaurants, which include A la carte choices so we aren't at buffets every meal. We choose resorts with several pools and large beaches. We always plan an excursion or two, which are the only things we pay for the entire trip. We certainly don't go to the AI's because all of the alcohol is included, but it's nice to know that we're not running up huge bar tabs everytime we do order a drink here or there. We're not huge drinkers and we don't party at night, either at the AI's or on cruises.

I definitely see his perspective. For me, I love to vacation and look at the cruise vacation for what it is. I don't try to compare it to an AI. I love the cruises for seeing new destinations. I love waking up and being in a new port every day. I love sitting on my balcony and watching the ocean.

So, I'm not sure for me it's one or another. I've been fortunate enough to be able to do both, and would continue to do both types of vacations.

Another request here for identifying some of the AIs you like! Thanks.

the all inclusives such as club med include so much more than cruises they offer a much better value and vacation; all sports included, all drinks, actually better food quality than princess, holland america or carnival or cunard too; to compare prices with cruises you would need to add your drinks and othere expenses to cruise costs to compare. Have enjoyed club med Turks and Caicos, bahamas, mexico, europe, worth considering.

• 6 months later...

Club Med and the better all inclusives include all sports and activities which includes tennis, watersports, circus, snorkel boat trips, beach games etc., along with all meals and restuarant choices, all drinks, very good value. and more time on beach, ocean, relaxing.

LeSport all inclusive Spa resort in St. Lucia includes all sports, all food with restaurant choices, drinks, also includes a massage etc. each day you stay. (and priced much less than if you bought these on cruise)

While I've done ten all inclusives and as many cruises, if you select a nice resort you can be more active and relaxed at the end of the week. Also attracts more fit people than a cruise.

When comparing price you need to add to cruise price, port fees, any trips in port, extra costs for select restaurants, sodas, the coffee card, internet on board, wine and drinks, tips, etc. etc. etc. so the final cost tends to be much more than a quality all inclusive resort. (however those who are less fit and prefer cruise seated bingo games will prefer a cruise, they don't mind paying the extra fees for everything).

We have done both and are each in our early 40s. We enjoy both and will do both in the future. For us, the deciding factor is the type of vacation we are seeking. If we are looking for a truly relaxing vacation where the biggest decision of the day is when to leave the beach and head up to the pool or vice versa, we go the AI option. If not, we go with a cruise. We've found the food comparable between the two and the entertainment a bit better on a cruise. I do agree with the earlier comment, that in the event of bad weather, you may be trapped at an AI, depending where you went.

Archived