First Time Cruise !

We just booked our very first cruise for our upcoming 10th wedding anniversary ! We are also taking our daughter. I've been told there is plenty to keep her busy and we will be able to enjoy a little quiet time while she is in the kids club. We opted for a short 5 day just to get make sure we like it and get our feet wet with cruising. I have been told the private island of Labadee is goregous with a ton to do, but after I read some reviews of the island, I'm a little worried that maybe I picked the wrong itinerary. And then there is Falmouth which there doesn't seem like there is much to do there ?? But on the other hand..its our first cruise and it seems to be that we won't even want to leave the ship ! We are a very busy family. While the idea of taking our daughter on our anniversary trip with us sounds boring to some of you, we love family outings. I would have a blast playing family bingo poolside !! I guess I'm worried about the ports we are going to. We are only there for a short amount of time, so I think it will be OK. After all we are going on a cruise ship for the ship experience, that is why we picked RCI, which we have heard was a fantastic ship for our family. Just curious to get some peoples thoughs on the Liberty and Labadee and Falmouth. I'm really excited ! Hoping to even meet some friends that might be cruising the Feb. 11 !!

I would not worry at all...I think the only thing you will be disappointed in is that your cruise only lasts 5 nights...our first cruise was only three nights...and about one day into it, I was certain that we should have booked a longer cruise...

Nothing wrong with Labadee...I've been several times now...it's a "beach stop"...it's not a place where you tour and see history and culture...it's a place where you go and enjoy a day at the beach...of course, there is a lot of fun stuff on the island...from zip lining to a roller coaster-type ride to banana boats and fun water stuff...there are some shops to buy local handicrafts and such...but, for the most part, enjoy a trip to the beach with your daughter...

Jamaica (I've only docked in Montego Bay, not Falmouth...but it's all really the same) is a good place to do an organized excursion...like river rafting (I guess it all depends a little on the age of your daughter)...

For the most part, cruising is a GREAT vacation experience...We started taking our daughters when they were 3 and 5...and we're taking them again this December (they're now 26 and 28)...the kids' program is great...and it will allow you your time alone...and keep her very entertained...

The Liberty of the Seas is a beautiful ship with lots to do on board...for you and for her...you are simply not going to match it with any land-based option...

Do not fret...you made a great choice...

Looks like you are new to CC. Welcome. Here is a link to the Royal Caribbean "Roll Call" for your specific cruise. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1588706 Take a look and you should find plenty of information about your cruise. You can "chat" with others that will be on your cruise. This is a great way to share information, tours, airport transfers etc. Have a great cruise.

Congrats on both booking your 1st cruise and your 10th anniversary. Don't stress about what you could have should have done. Your booked and it's going to be great!!!!

I love Jamaica. It's a beautiful Island. My first trip I was a bit overwhelmed with all the folks trying to get you to buy something or braid your hair. Just smile and walk on, because I find that the prices get better the further you get from the ship. When I go there, I hire a cab for the day, this way you get your own private tour. Also, they take you to places you would have never thought to go. I have never had a problem with any of them waiting for me, keeping my beachbag in the trunk and showing me their island that's just paradise. In Ocho Rio's, I actually used the same driver multiple times. I get off the ship and ask where is "Fritz", all the other cabbies know him and have always called him for me. If you chose this route make sure you use an official taxi, they have red plates and start with PP or PPV. Also while they have meters in thier cars, most drivers won't use them, this way you can negotiate a price for the whole day....$100-$150 is about right.

My boys love the kids programs. Even my friends older children have a blast. Your daughter will too I bet. For me I think cruising is the best family vacation, there is something for everyone. You only have to unpack once, and get to see several different countries. Enjoy it, but be forewarned cruising is ADDICTIVE!:)

Get a guidebook on your ports...that way, you'll know what there is to do in each place, and you can make an informed decision! Libraries have guidebooks...go check one out!

Yes...port days will only give you a "taste" of each place, but that's ok! You'll have a fabulous time.

I think you have made a great choice. You didn't mention how old your daughter is but no matter - she'll have a great time at AO. My oldest 18 18 years old and my youngest is 14 months old and I've cruised with them all. They all love to cruise.

Labadee is a beautiful beach stop.

As for Falmouth, it really is just a mediocre shopping area but there are a couple of unique stores. (Dragonfly is one.) The rest are jewelry and repetitive souvenirs. But never doubt the beauty of not loving a port as being docked while most people are off the ship is a beautiful thing.

Liberty is a great ship. If you find you love to cruise, I'd suggest Oasis or Allure for the next trip.

Archived