Planning for a world cruise!

ijkh

I really would figure out what you need and get them all before you leave. We have taken five full world cruises so we have learned the benefit of doing this.

You will find that you don't want to occupy time in ports looking and searching for these items and that in many ports you will not find the name brands you are used to or that the prices will be a lot higher then what you pay at home. Just think through what you use at home. Also bring items in case you get sick such as cough medicine, lozenges and the like.

Keith

I am curious if anyone has a list of which cruise lines have world cruises?

It would be nice to be able to follow along from fellow WCers on a variety of lines. I have learned a lot from the folks on the HAL WC as well as our Crystal correspondent Keith ;) Do Oceania and Regent do world cruises? Princess? Anyone ever blog from any of them?

Could someone who knows pleae post a link or list of future scheduled world cruises?

Princess do 90 nights and 104 night cruises - usually on Dawn Princess or Sea Princess. I did a 46 night one around the Indian Ocean a few years ago and would love to do one of the longer ones. Maybe one day.:)

Princess actually cancelled their January 2014 World Cruise. They are still doing one that starts and ends in Australia later in the year.

Costa, P&O, Fred Olsen and Hapag-Lloyd also do world cruises.

Edited by Scrapnana

• 5 weeks later...

We have just started exploring the idea of doing a world cruise in 2017. I know it's too early for itineraries, deposits, etc., but was considering HAL for this one. I looked at their itinerary for the 2014 sailing and liked the variety of ports. Would like to hear opinions from others who have done this cruise. Also, do the itineraries on a world cruise usually stay the same from year to year?

We have just started exploring the idea of doing a world cruise in 2017. I know it's too early for itineraries, deposits, etc., but was considering HAL for this one. I looked at their itinerary for the 2014 sailing and liked the variety of ports. Would like to hear opinions from others who have done this cruise. Also, do the itineraries on a world cruise usually stay the same from year to year?

HAL's itineraries have not varied very much for the last few years (same general direction, a few different ports). Have you read the blogs that this year's world cruisers have written? Great information and pictures. They also seem to have a dedicated group of travelers who do part or all the WC each year. When I started planning my WC HAL was my first choice but the single supplement and the high cost of a balcony made me finally decide on Cunard.

I hope to do a world cruise some day. However, I am afraid I will be bored if staying on one ship for a very long time.

I am playing with an idea to combine a few cruises on different ships or even on different cruise lines, and eventually circling the globe.

Anybody has the experience doing this?

Please share your thoughts and comments. Thank you.

I hope to do a world cruise some day. However, I am afraid I will be bored if staying on one ship for a very long time.

I am playing with an idea to combine a few cruises on different ships or even on different cruise lines, and eventually circling the globe.

Anybody has the experience doing this?

Please share your thoughts and comments. Thank you.

Barry (aka Bazzaw) did a world cruise on two P&O ships. http://ukagain2010.blogspot.com/

Ana, if your a social type person you don't get bored. I loved 46 nights and would love to do world cruise but hubby not convinced and finances might prevent it but a girl can still dream.

I actually enjoyed sea days but we had a great bunch of people and our meet and greet and communications before the cruise here on CC made so much difference in getting to know people and who to be able to do tours with or play trivia, etc. the 46 nights was only my second cruise and now I am well and truely hooked on cruising.;)

• 1 month later...

Something I learned on our 30 day Hawaii/South Pacific is to make sure you vary activities on shore. Never hot bored on the ship but seeing volcanoes at several stops got a little old. Now I list the ports and what I have planned at each port and review that for variety before finalizing anything. Also found it is important for us to have some port days on our own rather than on a tour.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 1 month later...
what clothes you take should be based on the cruise line

some like cunard with two lots of clothes a day means lots of luggage

but depends on the itinerary also

so many world cruises now

for port info I found the cunard site had great info you could use for any cruise on tours etc as was not only for when tours are available

theme times are on alot of the wc

they will list them in the documents though so you can plan

can list heaps I have had on ships

but a mask is a must to take as usually a masquarade night is involved plus 70's and rock n roll

Hi Dancinman66,

My husband and I had been on three WC on Cunard and will be on Queen Victoria WC next year. I am one of those people who always dress for the theme balls. Here is a link to my pictures of the balls:http://www.flickr.com/photos/mpell/collections/ .

We are also booked 180 days WC on Oceania for 2015.

M

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There seem to be cruises out of Italy each year on Costa that travel to South America during their 1st couple of weeks. We are thinking of picking up the cruise in South America to arrive in Italy in around 90 days. Then we want to travel slowly through Europe for the next few years using repositioning cruises to sail back to the states a few times while we are there. One repositioning cruise I saw on NCL was only around $500 pp from Barcelona to New Orleans!

We love sailing (we are sailors and own a 36 ft sloop) but also enjoy cruising on large ships. We are planning to retire in a couple of years and want to basically move abroad to Europe. We think starting off with a west bound ship leaving from South America. This would give us a taste of Pacifica, Australia, Asia and Africa before settling down for land based travel in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

In the med you absolutely need euros. For many purchases use a credit card that has. I foreign transaction fee. To obtain euros ideally use an ATM Card for the best exchange rates but if you are. It going to exchange a lot of money consider getting some euros at your local bank before your trip begins.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...
I am hoping that experienced world cruisers can tell me about currency exchange. I know dollars are accepted but I feel I should get euros, As we will be in the Med. Thoughts?

Some ATM cards have no fees and Wells Fargo bank has free curency exchange if you have a account there, We have one with 25$ in it ..

Some ATM cards have no fees and Wells Fargo bank has free curency exchange if you have a account there' date=' We have one with 25$ in it ..[/quote']

I do have an account at Wells Fargo and didn't know that. Thank you, I will look into that.

• 2 weeks later...

The one thing I haven't noticed anyone mentioning is turning off the hot water heater and incoming cold water. This action is self explanatory. If you use tankless water heaters or instant hot water appliances this is not necessary.

Also, bring your own pain medication should you get injured or have sometimes serious back problems like I do. Many ships infirmary’s do not have medications stronger than aspirin and ibuprofen. You do not want to learn this the hard way.

Another item not to forget is the house alarm system. Be sure to have someone (with their own discreet code) be the person to check on the house. If any repairs need to be done while you are gone, these folks need to be there and available. You would be very unhappy if your favorite Picasso was stolen while you were away. <g>

You may find that your internet provider has internet web service like Comcast does. Turning that off MAY effect your getting your email. Email, for me, is VERY important and I need to view it at least every other day or so. As a result my on-board internet costs are higher than most folks. TIP: use the internet very late at night or very early in the morning for decent speeds. WiFi on the new ships is very good.

Of course bring your laptop. Be sure you have to put your passwords in manually each time in case it should get stolen. Do not store any sensitive information on it. I keep my passwords and login information safely hidden away and separate from the laptop.

Lastly, I could go on forever I think, is to notify your credit card folks on your travel plans because you might have to use them or they will not work at all.