Planning for a world cruise!

ijkh

We have now done seven world cruises.

We have a neighbor watch our home.

We leave the water on. This is subject to debate and I have asked several plumbers and get all sorts of answers. We prefer to keep it on so that they can flush our toilets weekly and also run water down our drains and drip the water in two specific faucets when outside temperatures get well below freezing. We turn the water to the washing machine off.

Keith

We leave the water on. This is subject to debate and I have asked several plumbers and get all sorts of answers.

Yeah, this is a judgement call. If you have someone regularly checking your place, I would leave the water on for the reasons you mentioned. But if your place will go unchecked for an extended period, I would turn the water off as the the lessor of the evils.

A few years back a neighbor headed south for the winter. They thought they had turned the water off, but actually they had forgotten. There was a serious freeze that winter and a pipe cracked with a slow leak. By the time they returned, the entire carpeted floor had been flooded and mold had bloomed. The house was declared unsafe (due to mold) and had to be torn down.

• 3 weeks later...

Always turn the water off in our TN home because it could always freeze. FL house we never turn the water off but do wrap the outside faucets since north FL was below freezing 24 hrs last winter

Done..

7d Royal Caribbean

7d Celebrity

10d Princess

14d Carnival

75d Holland America

Next..

7d Carnival Conquest

21d Carnival Triumph

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Some ATM cards have no fees and Wells Fargo bank has free curency exchange if you have a account there' date=' We have one with 25$ in it ..[/quote']

So, I went into Wells Fargo to get some money exchanged. The girl was clueless. Anyway, she talked to a manager and the problem I could see was that the fee was waived, but the exchange rate was terrible. How do you determine when it becomes worthwhile to just pay the fee and get a better rate?

Euros usually have to be ordered at US banks. Special service, always pricey.In Europe there are ATMs on almost every city block .Make sure you use a

bank one, no change outlets. Let your local bank know your itin or you will be blocked internationally.Use a money belt and never carry more $ than you can afford to lose. Leave money and passport in ship room safe.

Edited by zoncom

I try to get money at an ATM with my debit card whenever possible (you get the best exchange rates and my credit union does not charge a foreign transaction fee). On a cruise this can be difficult depending on what you are doing (on excursions it is often difficult to find an ATM in the time allowed) and where you are. I exchanged money on the ship once on my World Voyage (for China). Cunard does not charge a fee but the exchange rate isn't great.

I found that many, many vendors will take US$ especially near the port.

Have a great time!

AHOY SHIPMATE,

CONGRATULATIONS. You are getting an early start You will stay busy with paperwork and a lot of MISinformation between now and Sailing. Get on the Roll call for the cruise on both Cruise critic and on the HAL website. Call the World Cruise desk at HAL and become FRIENDS with those people. Double verify info you receive from unknown well meaning people. SHOTS AND VISAS

can be the most confusing. Use a Passport/visa co. It is worth the $$. but shop around for the best one. HAL used to use ZAIER ? but they have changed their name . ( still good tho. )

One could write a book just on how to prepare for a World Cruise. We have done 5 in 15 yrs and no two are the same. (in prep). Take it slow but keep active.

How are the Visa's don on a world cruise?? Holland 2016

The ship will get most visas for you and add the cost to your onboard account. There are a few that you have to get on your own (China, India, and Brazil being the most common ones - don't know which of these you might be going to). The cruise line will let you know and give you information on their recommended company. I checked three before I decided on Cunard's suggestion (Visa Central) - they were all within a few dollars of each other. You usually cannot apply for visas more than 90 days before your departure date.

I need to question this statement seriously.

Scott & Karen

Visa Central told us (I was not the only one on our roll call who used the service) that we could apply no earlier than 90 days before our January 10th departure.

I know a few people in the UK (where it is much easier to get your own) had theirs rejected as being too early (in October). The consulate wanted them to wait until 90 days before they actually reached the country to apply (which would have been only a couple of weeks before sailing). When this was explained, the visas were granted.

Scott & Karen

A number of countries require that you use the visa for your initial entry within a certain amount of time, 90 days being a pretty common time frame. As a practical matter, that translates to not applying before that period.

One of the reasons I've heard from this is that if too much time elapses between application and entry into the country, some of the things they ask you about on the application are more likely to change, and could produce a different result as to your eligibility to enter the country.

• 1 month later...
The ship will get most visas for you and add the cost to your onboard account. There are a few that you have to get on your own (China, India, and Brazil being the most common ones …. You usually cannot apply for visas more than 90 days before your departure date.

Visa Central told us (I was not the only one on our roll call who used the service) that we could apply no earlier than 90 days before our January 10th departure.

I know a few people in the UK (where it is much easier to get your own) had theirs rejected as being too early (in October). The consulate wanted them to wait until 90 days before they actually reached the country to apply (which would have been only a couple of weeks before sailing). When this was explained, the visas were granted.

A number of countries require that you use the visa for your initial entry within a certain amount of time' date=' 90 days being a pretty common time frame. As a practical matter, that translates to not applying before that period....[/quote']

I would very much appreciate anyone telling me exactly which country requires a US citizen to enter their country within 90 days of a tourist visa being granted (or will not waive the requirement [if existing] with a simple request). I am under the impression that China, India and Brazil do not require this, Russian Visas are usually handled by the excursion company and all other country’s visas are handled by the ship.

I ask this question after having taken six world cruises and six other cruises half way around the world.

Scott & Karen

I would very much appreciate anyone telling me exactly which country requires a US citizen to enter their country within 90 days of a tourist visa being granted (or will not waive the requirement [if existing] with a simple request). I am under the impression that China, India and Brazil do not require this, Russian Visas are usually handled by the excursion company and all other country’s visas are handled by the ship.

I ask this question after having taken six world cruises and six other cruises half way around the world.

Scott & Karen

Scott & Karen:

China: Depends what type of visa you obtain. You can get one that is good for six months or one year from issuance and only requirement is you can only use it for the duration of the visa. They do issue some that are three months in duration so jut be careful what you get.

Brazil: Used to be you had to enter within 90 days of issuance but that changed when they went with a 10 year visa and no requirement as to when to enter.

India: No three month requirement either.

Russia Visa is handled by cruise if on one of their excursions and most other excursion companies but the key is you can't get off on your own. You can only go this route taking tours.

Keith

The ship will get most visas for you and add the cost to your onboard account. There are a few that you have to get on your own (China, India, and Brazil being the most common ones - don't know which of these you might be going to).... You usually cannot apply for visas more than 90 days before your departure date.

A number of countries require that you use the visa for your initial entry within a certain amount of time' date=' 90 days being a pretty common time frame. As a practical matter, that translates to not applying before that period.[/quote']

Scott & Karen:

China: Depends what type of visa you obtain. You can get one that is good for six months or one year from issuance and only requirement is you can only use it for the duration of the visa. They do issue some that are three months in duration so jut be careful what you get.

Brazil: Used to be you had to enter within 90 days of issuance but that changed when they went with a 10 year visa and no requirement as to when to enter.

India: No three month requirement either.

Russia Visa is handled by cruise if on one of their excursions and most other excursion companies but the key is you can't get off on your own. You can only go this route taking tours….

So if I understand Keith’s response (which by the way I agree with completely,) not only is it not true that as Scrapnana has mistakenly stated that “You usually cannot apply for visas more than 90 days before your departure date.” And that “we could apply no earlier than 90 days before our January 10th departure” and also it is not true that as wishIwerecruisin' has mistakenly stated that “A number of countries require that you use the visa for your initial entry within a certain amount of time, 90 days being a pretty common time frame. As a practical matter, that translates to not applying before that period”.

I tried to be polite in my previous posting but now I will be blunt. IMHO, there are exactly NO countries that impose any kind of 90 day limit on the obtaining (or after obtaining the required use,) of their tourist visas for US citizens.

This is an urban legend that ought to be put to rest.

Scott & Karen

Edited by CaveDiving

Okay....all of you experienced world cruisers....here is a question:

Regarding vaccines...in your opinion...what are the absolute must do's before a world cruise? We will not be going to Africa; however, will be in India, Vietnam, Malaysia...to name a few.

I have checked the CDC website...but curious as to what your thoughts are on the actual vaccines....not to be missed?

We had the flu vaccine last week, also shingles and DPT vaccines recently.

Will be checking with our local Health Dept also.

It appears that one can go overboard (no pun intended) on getting all of the vaccines/shots suggested. << ouch >>

Thank you for any info that you may want to offer.

cruise.gal Lu :confused:

cruise.gal,

To me the must do is to either see your physician or in our case we go to a travel medical professional and we bring our itinerary with us and also provide them with our vaccination history and then the can make recommendations based on our own health. We don't know your situation so I really never make specific recommendations.

For us, we made sure that our tetanus vaccination was up to date along with having hepatitis vacation, and our flu vaccine. WE also had the typhoid vaccine based on our specific itinerary for last year.

Again, best to see a travel medical professional and also to do your homework up front based on the information on the CDC web site. But start by making sure your vaccinations are up to date.

Keith