Planning for a world cruise!

ijkh

antique sailor, in the end each person needs to figure out what works for them.

For my wife and myself part of the pleasure we get it so dress nicely and we also like to not wear the same things often so for us we will take quite a lot. For a 110 sailing eight large suitcases and two carry ons for us. Some would do it with a few suitcase less and they are happy with that choice. The latter would not work for us but it does for some.

Keith

antique sailor, in the end each person needs to figure out what works for them.

For my wife and myself, part of the pleasure we get it so dress nicely and we also like to not wear the same things often so for us we will take quite a lot. For a 110 sailing eight large suitcases and two carry ons for us. Some would do it with a few suitcase less and they are happy with that choice. The latter would not work for us but it does for some.

Keith

AHOY SHIPMATE, YOU SPEAK THE TRUTH, We took way too much in the early cruises, and over the years have reduced packing to what we need to maintain the level that we are comfortable with. THE one thing that is special is the diner at the CAPTAINS TABLE......a memorable experience!!!!!

Spoke to someone tonight who has been to Dubai and said not to miss Abu Dabi. Says it's about a 1-1/2 hr drive between the two cities. The mosque in Abu Dabi is not to be missed....it's huge! Our ship will be there two days. Any comments?

Thank you....cruise.gal

I took 3 suits, black, blue and gray. I could switch slacks and jackets so I had many combinations. The black worked on formal nights with a tux shirt and tie. Being on Cunard, a jacket was required every night.

I never really noticed how often someone had on the same outfit unless it really stood out, and usually not for the good. One guy had a jacket that looked like it was made from material from a couch my mom had back in the fifties. :eek: You did notice when guys wore their kilts.

Don

well...i have a year, ill try not to sweat the small stuff just yet... Itl be great watching the world cruises leave in the next few months and follow them around.

ten months till my TA wants payment...yikes...

• 2 months later...
Since most world cruises occur during tax season, how do most folks plan for filing with the IRS? Do you file for an extension before leaving or rely on the internet to file electronically while onboard through Turbo Tax or similar? Thanks!

ill be relying on the internet, in the 4.5 month period Il have two returns to file but fortunately the IRD down here is very up to date and its all done online.

Unfortunately the world keeps turning while we are at sea!

Since most world cruises occur during tax season, how do most folks plan for filing with the IRS? Do you file for an extension before leaving or rely on the internet to file electronically while onboard through Turbo Tax or similar? Thanks!

Since you no longer have to physically sign your return with electronic filing, my daughter did my taxes for me.

Filling out your taxes online on the ship could be very costly and take a long time.

• 5 months later...

Another option for getting money before you leave: I go to a coin collector store. People cash in their money for US and others buy it. When I went to Europe I was able to get several thousand Euros in many denominations so had envelopes for each tour another for hotel and another for tips, food and souvenirs.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Shocked over the no-tip couple reference above. Just amazed that someone would take a world cruise (even in an interior cabin) with the express plan of stiffing the hardworking staff that is going to take care of them. And planning not to spend anything in the ports they visit simply screams "Ugly American."

I've actually been concerned about deals offered by travel agents or the lines themselves where tips are prepaid. Does the crew still get tipped? We always leave the recommended amount to accrue on our ship account and then slip extra to special people at the end of the voyage--our cabin stewards, regular dining room servers and the like. If we have a meal in our room, we tip the person who delivers it right then. We rarely have to wait after that.

The crew talks to each other. Of course, they do. And I'm convinced that word is spread when someone removes the auto tip from their account. If it isn't, it should be. I've never met any crewmember on a ship who isn't working tirelessly and with a smile on their face. Why would anyone want to cheat them of just compensation?

We're planning (and saving!) for a WC in 2021 and part of our plan is to provide extra tips for the wonderful crew and spending money in the ports we are blessed to visit. Otherwise, why go?

There is an art to gracious service and I'm convinced there's an art to being graciously served as well. It involves saying "please" and "thank you," not being snippy when there are delays or disappointments, and tipping as lavishly as you can.

We take our misery or our joy with us when we travel. Guess what we leave in our wake...

Most cruise lines let the crew know who has removed auto-tips from their onboard account.

On the world cruise I took, we were discussing the tips that were prepaid at the dinner table (we all were taking the full world and had tips paid as part of the package). We asked out waiter if they really got them and he said they certainly did. All of us handed him an envelope on the last night so everyone is not cheap. (I happened to see him a year later on the same ship and he greeted me by name!)

Prepaid gratuities are becoming more popular as part of a world cruise package. The cost is built into the fare and this way staff are guaranteed to get paid.

As others have said - that amount of packing varies on how formal you get for dinners. It will also vary on the itinerary - while most of the trip will be in hot weather areas some w/c spend part of the time in cool areas requiring some extra items.

That eases my mind. I'm glad to know the crew actually receives them.

I think between now and 2021, we need to broaden our horizons and try some different lines. Of the 7 different ones we've traveled with, only HAL and Princess have world cruises. (Well, Costa does too, but I've crossed them from my list.) It may be time for a shorter jaunt on Cunard or Oceania. Maybe Viking Ocean too.

I'm a little worried about the size of the ships. I'm a scopolamine patch afficianado. It makes me a little loopy, but I don't get sea sick. Still, I'd hate to be in a fog for 100+ days. How's the ride on ships with less than 1K passengers?

The ship that Oceania uses is the same design as the ship used by Princess - both ships were built for a cruise line that went out of business very shortly after the ships were built. They hold 684 passengers.

On our w/c this year we had great sea conditions. We were supposed to go to Tasmania after Sydney but the seas were expected to be 40 - 50ft around Tasmania so we skipped that port. For less movement try to book near center of the ship.

We missed a couple of ports on our 30 day HAL cruise to the South Pacific this year. There was a good bit of grumbling, but I didn't mind. Safety is #1 as far as I'm concerned & I appreciated the captain taking the heat for those decisions.

Besides, the ship itself is always a destination to me and we love sea days.

...is part of the fun! Imagining, planning, dreaming...I love thinking about this trip. It's been on my bucket list for a while, but now it's starting to look doable. I want to get everything right.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a perfectionist. If things go sideways, we're good with rolling with it. But as much as I can, I want to pre-plan this voyage. Who knows when/if we'll ever be able to do something like this again?

• 3 weeks later...
The cruise comes out about 24 months before' date=' so 2021 is not that far away. I am planning for January 2019 know.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Regent has posted their 2019 WC and it is open for booking. Glad we booked the one for 2018 as it will have several new-to-us ports. Not so much on the 2019 trip.

• 2 weeks later...

On most cruise lines, they will store your excess suitcases that do not fit under the bed. Just ask your cabin steward.

I don't know of any cruise line that does not have a laundry service (although you do have to pay for it on most lines). I don't believe any will do the laundry on a gentle cycle (big industrial washers set on hot). Most of the mainstream cruise lines have self-service laundries on their ships that do a world cruise. They have normal sized washer/dryers that you can choose the settings. You can, of course, wash things out in the sink.