Planning for a world cruise!

ijkh

By the time we go on our world cruise in 2021, I hope to assemble a versatile, interchangeable wardrobe for the trip that can all be washed and dried in those hot industrial laundries. With the exception of my formal wear and possibly a few delicate unmentionables, I want to be able to send everything out. After all, we're saving for the trip of a lifetime. I don't want to waste time waiting for a washer and dryer to open up or worse--get into one of those fabled "laundry wars" with my fellow passengers.

Soooo if you can't afford two rooms but bring 6-8 suitcases, where do you store them? Also which cruise lines do your laundry for you and which do you have to do it? Do they have gentle cycles? All my clothes are hand wash only:rolleyes:

We are on Oceania's 6-month RTW now. We had a total of 8 bags -- four of them duffels; two oversized suitcases, and two smaller ones ... plus our 2 carry-ons. We gave our two oversized bags to our cabin attendant to be stored until we are ready to start packing. The rest easily fit under the bed. We use the two smaller bags to store our cold/wet weather layers in one, and excess toiletries/meds etc in the other. We are, by the way, in a regular veranda cabin for space comparison purposes.

I have used Celebrity laundry in the past ... and was unhappy with the results. We have a free laundry perk on Oceania on the RTW and I was hesitant, but they have done a wonderful job. I wouldn't send anything that was hand-wash only, though. We separate items that require more delicate handling -- like cold water instead of hot -- in a separate bag and so note on the laundry ticket. Everything has come back in perfect shape -- ironed and on hangers, or folded and wrapped in tissue as appropriate.

Edited by h2so4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seems like 2021 is a good year for World Cruises as I'm planning to be on one for the big five-oh birthday that year!

As a solo traveller my concerns are as to whether I'd be lonely and whether I'd be considered a "youngster" ;) But like most people my prime concern was packing all the associated "stuff"! No way I could manage to go with only one suitcase, but I'm also thinking that travelling on my own will provide me with at least lots of space to hide the cases away! Perhaps I could rent out storage space to pay for the bar bill at the end??

As I'm based in the UK, I'm looking to cruise out of Southampton (my home town, thankfully) and looking at either P&O Cruises or Cunard... Based on 2018 prices, I've still got a lot of saving to do!

Anyone have an P&O World Cruise experience they'd care to impart?

Bon voyage for now

Karen

We'll be celebrating our 45th anniversary in 2021, so that's our motivator. But lately, I've been looking at a few "Grand Voyages"--most particularly the 49 day HAL Atlantic Explorer round trip out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Med & back and the 80 day HAL roundtrip from San Diego that hits Australia, NZ & all points Asia. We could take both these trips for the cost of a single WC.

So I'm beginning to have a bit of a rethink...

From you veteran WCers, is there an advantage to doing it all in one extra long voyage (some up to 180 days!) or are there reasons, aside from not shooting your whole vacation stash at once, to break up the travel over a couple of years?

• 2 weeks later...

While discussing our 2016 taxes with our accountant, we mentioned that, because of our HAL 2018 WC, we would have to file an extension for our 2017 taxes. Asked him to predict a good number for our estimated taxes. Told us that we had to pay at least 90% of the taxes due at filing in October 15th to avoid an underpayment penalty.

• 1 month later...
I'm always confused by these special offers. For example, for cabin category D, the promo fare is $45K. Is that per person or a 2 for 1 fare.

Afraid that's per person for the Oceana...180 days though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We'll be celebrating our 45th anniversary in 2021, so that's our motivator. But lately, I've been looking at a few "Grand Voyages"--most particularly the 49 day HAL Atlantic Explorer round trip out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Med & back and the 80 day HAL roundtrip from San Diego that hits Australia, NZ & all points Asia. We could take both these trips for the cost of a single WC.

So I'm beginning to have a bit of a rethink...

From you veteran WCers, is there an advantage to doing it all in one extra long voyage (some up to 180 days!) or are there reasons, aside from not shooting your whole vacation stash at once, to break up the travel over a couple of years?

Both cruise are great A World Cruise is in a leg of it"s own .

• 1 month later...

So what happened to the announcements for HAL's Grand Voyages that were supposed to have been made in April??? I am so anxious about the 2018 Grand Asia. I can't even get our PCC to answer.Unfortunately, the 2019 WC does not interest me, but I think the announcements for the WC and the Grand Asia usually come out about the same time.

Anyone know?

When I first started lurking on this thread, I thought our WC was years away. 2021 was our target. Then a couple of weeks ago, we caught a sale on Princess and it's official! We're booked for 94 days on the Pacific Princess, from LA to Ft. Lauderdale. We embark on Jan. 22, 2018!!!!

Still in the "somebody pinch me please" phase, but we're starting to plan in earnest now. That includes starting a blog about our adventure at RoundTheWorldWriter! Hope you'll join me there. We're counting on some sage advice from all you more experienced cruisers!

When I first started lurking on this thread, I thought our WC was years away. 2021 was our target. Then a couple of weeks ago, we caught a sale on Princess and it's official! We're booked for 94 days on the Pacific Princess, from LA to Ft. Lauderdale. We embark on Jan. 22, 2018!!!!

Still in the "somebody pinch me please" phase, but we're starting to plan in earnest now. That includes starting a blog about our adventure at RoundTheWorldWriter! Hope you'll join me there. We're counting on some sage advice from all you more experienced cruisers!

Congratulations on your find.

Aquadesiac,

I can not wait to follow your blog...It looks like a GREAT itinerary. We are also embarking on a trip of the lifetime...Jan of 2018 on Viking's 120 WC. We will be traveling with 2 other couples which will be fun!

Have not started the Visa process because we had to send our passports in so that we had enough blank pages! Someone said that the Chinese Visa required pictures with NO smile, no jewelry and ears showing!!!

I am also intrigued that you are an author who uses 2 names...I will try and read one of your books(hope they are in the Kindle library) while floating in the ocean!!!

Congratulations, Acquadesiac and Deec! How exciting! I hope that both of you will continue to post your respective boards. It will be interesting to compare the experiences of posters who have been on other WC's,

Thanks, We’re sailing away, Deec, & Tampa Girl! We are super excited.

Deec, I've been salivating over the Viking website, most especially all the recommended reading pages that go with your itinerary. It sounds like my kind of cruise, but since I use supplemental O2, I'm not sure how I'd do on a long international flight. Airline cabins are pressurized to approximate 8000ft, which is trouble territory for me. We're toying with the idea of renting a car and driving to our embarkation and debarkation ports so I don't have to haul my portable O2 concentrator through TSA. And yes, all my books are available for your Kindle. ;-)

Tampa Girl, I've been reading enough WC blogs to know that even if you're on the same ship, everyone is experiencing the cruise differently. It's fascinating to see the world through someone else's eyes for a while.

Thanks, We’re sailing away, Deec, & Tampa Girl! We are super excited.

Deec, I've been salivating over the Viking website, most especially all the recommended reading pages that go with your itinerary. It sounds like my kind of cruise, but since I use supplemental O2, I'm not sure how I'd do on a long international flight. Airline cabins are pressurized to approximate 8000ft, which is trouble territory for me. We're toying with the idea of renting a car and driving to our embarkation and debarkation ports so I don't have to haul my portable O2 concentrator through TSA. And yes, all my books are available for your Kindle. ;-)

Tampa Girl, I've been reading enough WC blogs to know that even if you're on the same ship, everyone is experiencing the cruise differently. It's fascinating to see the world through someone else's eyes for a while.

Driving with a one way rental has a few benefits, no wait limit, you could bring all your toiletries, Easer to pack, no airline problems,.

You would need to find a car drop off near a Hotel near the port. The LA/ Port board will show all that info.

Good to know. I was thinking we'd have to drop the car at LAX and take a taxi to the hotel near the port. Will investigate further...

Also an excellent suggestion. But the DH just booked us for flights to & fro. Can't fuss at him though. Princess Air offered a better deal than we could find on our own at http://www.google.com/flights (which lists ALL carriers & prices) He got us in Business Class for way less than it would cost to rent a car and drive--not to mention the three extra days going and 2 coming home with the accompanying hotels and meals. The flights are short enough that I'll be ok with my O2 concentrator and we got a nonstop going, so I won't worry about losing luggage.

At least not too much.

Now I just have to figure out how to pack for 94 days in 2 suitcases and a carry on apiece...