Anyone know why the Star Princess Hawaii itinerary was changed?

erin313

If they change from tendering at Lahaina to docking at Kahului it is quite a change. At Lahaina you can get off the tender and walk around a fairly popular tourist town. You are right at the Lahaina marina where a lot of excursions are available.

At Kahului the cruise ship dock is in an industrial shipping port. Not much close by. Really no services at all without a substantial walk through an unattractive area. It is on the opposite side of the Island from Lahaina.

Some of the worst traffic I have ever encountered was going from the port at Kahului to Lahaina, not just once, but twice in the same weekend. And I thought So. Cal. traffic was bad! :eek:

Some of the worst traffic I have ever encountered was going from the port at Kahului to Lahaina, not just once, but twice in the same weekend. And I thought So. Cal. traffic was bad! :eek:

Without traffic it's about 45 minutes but if there's an accident or brushfire the 2-lane road is closed for many hours. The only other limited option is the narrow road around the north end of Maui through the small town of Kahakuloa which takes about 90 minutes even without heavy traffic. The section of the road around Kahakuloa makes the Road to Hana look like a freeway.

There's so much more to do in West Maui after tendering into Lahaina but for those going to Haleakala or Hana then Kahului is mo bettah. ;)

Without traffic it's about 45 minutes but if there's an accident or brushfire the 2-lane road is closed for many hours. The only other limited option is the narrow road around the north end of Maui through the small town of Kahakuloa which takes about 90 minutes even without heavy traffic. The section of the road around Kahakuloa makes the Road to Hana look like a freeway.

There's so much more to do in West Maui after tendering into Lahaina but for those going to Haleakala or Hana then Kahului is mo bettah. ;)

LOL :D I know exactly what you're talking about!

I was just in Maui last week, not on a cruise. I saw a Norwegian ship, I believe, docked at the port in Kahului and later that day a Princess ship tendered at Lahaina. Not sure why they would changes ports, but Lahaina is a much better location than Kahului. Lots of stores and great places to eat.

I was just in Maui last week, not on a cruise. I saw a Norwegian ship, I believe, docked at the port in Kahului and later that day a Princess ship tendered at Lahaina. Not sure why they would changes ports, but Lahaina is a much better location than Kahului. Lots of stores and great places to eat.

There was no change of ports. NCL uses Kahului and Princess uses Lahaina.

I had posted last week when I received notification from Roberts Tours that the itinerary had been changed for the Star Princess on Nov. 20.

I had booked shore excursions thru them for my mother, and they then notified me that the schedule had been changed. I have been checking daily with them and today they confirmed what everyone has been saying, that the schedule has not changed.

Here is the email the sent to me today: :)

It was so nice speaking with you! Per our conversation, we did receive response from Princess Cruise Lines advising all tour operators that we are reverting our schedules back to what it originally was (and what you scheduled it as). Therefore, please discard the vouchers that were provided to you on October 26, 2012.

Per your request I will ask our Shore Excursions team to create new vouchers for you and I will scan them to you once I have them.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should there be any questions or concerns about anything. Mahalo!

So thanks for all of your input and enjoy the cruise!!!

Archived