Love to eat on a cruise? How do YOU do it?

Toddcan

Hot breakfast - the works and a pastry. If on a longer trip I will try and be "good" on a few of the days but doesn't work out that way sometimes:o

Skip lunch usually but maybe grab a snack around 3.30pm, salad or wrap, or maybe cheese and biscuits from room service and have that sitting on the balcony with a nice glass of wine.

Dinner in MDR (or specialty) every night and eat the lot bar dessert as prefer savory over sweet for most things so appetizer then soup or salad and then entree.

Midnight snack normally too full but will sneak in some tidbits if I see them, I am weak and cant resist:D

Port days are pretty much the same but we lunch "out".

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

• 2 weeks later...

On our first cruise, I didn't put any weight on and on our second, I put 1lb on.

I didn't skimp on the food, but I found that what I ate during the day filled me up very nicely, and stopped me from grazing at the buffet last thing before bed. In fact, we've hardly ever eaten at the buffet on either of our cruises.

Typically on a sea day, breakfast is in the MDR and will be reasonably hearty - bacon and eggs, eggs benedict etc, with toast to follow and plenty of black coffee; I need my morning kickstart on holiday too! Lunch will generally be just a burger or pizza from the poolside diner and then it will be two, perhaps three courses in the MDR for dinner, never more than that. I always try to do between six and ten laps of the Promenade deck on sea days - I'm not one for sitting/lying down all day.

The only difference on a port day is that lunch is (obviously!) not taken on ship, but instead I try to find a good, local restaurant/cafe. When we are ashore, we rarely take the cruise line's excursion and if we do, they are of the 'on your own' variety so we always do plenty of walking.

I don't hold back on the booze. Sea days it's generally a pint or two of beer in the afternoon whilst I'm reading, a glass of wine in our cabin before dinner, perhaps a cocktail in a bar, half a bottle of wine with dinner and then three or four gin and tonics whilst we watch the shows/acts/bands etc. Oddly, I have never woken up with a hangover on a cruise ship - must be the fact that it's a marathon not a sprint, combined with the lovely sea air!

I have the opposite problem - I have to remind myself to eat and when I do get hungry its at odd hours. I'm grateful that when I did have the pangs on my 1st 2 cruises there was places that was open 24-hours compare to land vacations where places were closed at 11pm or 12am.

I find myself drinking more water than I normally do on vacation, so now I just bring refillable water bottles. And a decent-size insulated travel mug because I need my caffeine jolt from coffee /tea during the day.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

First off, this thread is intended for those of us who just go on a cruise with the full expectation of gaining 3-4 lbs. Yes, I try to keep in shape, and I will lose those ls within a month of returning home, blah blah blah.

So, here's the question..

Of course there is TOO much food on a cruise, but you don't have to eat it all :cool:

So, how do YOU eat? What are your eating patterns on a cruise? I love to eat, I really do, but I am simply not hungry enough for a big breakfast, lunch AND dinner. Maybe some of you are?

Me?

Sea Day: I normally eat a decent, but light breakfast. Some yogurt, fruit and maybe a bowl of cereal - nothing big like a stack of pancakes, bacon, eggs, etc.

Port Day: Big breakfast because we will eat a light lunch

Lunch -Sea Days - johhny Rockets

Port Day - I just grab a drink, or small treat somewhere

Dinner: always a full dinner. Most times with dessert.

Evening - usuaally just drinks, but maybe a cookie or two from the promenade cafe

How do you guys do it?

I can usually break even....I try to get a cabin as far away from the buffet as possible... although I hear they are putting coffee makers in some rooms.. and studio rooms totally ruin that with espresso I can get in my PJs.. sort of defeating that forced morning walk across the ship and back... plus all the port walking helps. Now for the eating... I skip the bread when it's not necessary (garlic bread is necessary!) and skip sweets because I've never had a sweet tooth. Otherwise, full breakfast, with mimosa, lunch probably buffet, dinner maybe specialty, maybe buffet if I'm just hungry but in a hurry... either way, it will involve mimosa, prosecco or wine. I'd probably drop weight if it wasn't for wine... I plan for lots of wine.. I have a designated driver :D

Edited by kessdarln

• 2 months later...

For the first couple days we admittedly eat until we are sick, my husband and I, the roll us back to the room so we can die kind of eating. The excitement of that tends to wear off by day three and we reign it into eating a bit less so we don't feel constantly ill.

But we absolutely love food, are foodies, do chefs table, want to experience and taste everything, it's important and a big part of our trip is the enjoyment of the food. Maybe we are weird,I dunno, reading everyone else's routine makes me feel like a glutton, no wonder we are fat! LOL

For the first couple days we admittedly eat until we are sick, my husband and I, the roll us back to the room so we can die kind of eating. The excitement of that tends to wear off by day three and we reign it into eating a bit less so we don't feel constantly ill.

But we absolutely love food, are foodies, do chefs table, want to experience and taste everything, it's important and a big part of our trip is the enjoyment of the food. Maybe we are weird,I dunno, reading everyone else's routine makes me feel like a glutton, no wonder we are fat! LOL

You are not weird. There is full and then what we call it "cruise full" - eating til it hurts. Usually around the third dessert after finishing 2 entree and 3 appies, not to mention those buns with butter. My goal is a pound a day. Usually home for 2 days before I remember what being hungry feels like.

First off, this thread is intended for those of us who just go on a cruise with the full expectation of gaining 3-4 lbs. Yes, I try to keep in shape, and I will lose those ls within a month of returning home, blah blah blah.

So, here's the question..

Of course there is TOO much food on a cruise, but you don't have to eat it all :cool:

So, how do YOU eat? What are your eating patterns on a cruise? I love to eat, I really do, but I am simply not hungry enough for a big breakfast, lunch AND dinner. Maybe some of you are?

Me?

Sea Day: I normally eat a decent, but light breakfast. Some yogurt, fruit and maybe a bowl of cereal - nothing big like a stack of pancakes, bacon, eggs, etc.

Port Day: Big breakfast because we will eat a light lunch

Lunch -Sea Days - johhny Rockets

Port Day - I just grab a drink, or small treat somewhere

Dinner: always a full dinner. Most times with dessert.

Evening - usuaally just drinks, but maybe a cookie or two from the promenade cafe

How do you guys do it?

Only 3 or 4 lbs????:confused::eek::p