HELP! Scavenger Hunt in Old San Juan.... need ideas!

lmaea1974

In December me and my boyfriend are going on a cruise with another couple out of Old San Juan.... deal is, it is a secret that the husband of the other couple doesn't know about. (It's his 40th b-day trip)

Since we are not flying on the same flight down he won't know we are there so we thought we would have a little fun with it. We have an extra full day between arriving and boarding the boat and we thought sending him on a scavenger hunt would be fun and in the end he would find us.

So now comes the hard part in figuring good places to send him and clues to get there. I am mainly looking for items that are quick to do, within Old Town San Juan (walking distance of the Sheraton) and also a good place for breakfast and lunch that might be willing to serve him a beverage in a pre provided glass with his picture on it.

Me and my boyfriend had this area as a port of call in January of this year so are vaguely familiar with the area, just not enough to come up with those MUST DO items.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance!!!!! :D

Lisa

How fun!!! Let me think about this....

Could you leave him notes with hints to his next location or a geocaching type of thing? You could leave notes in stores, hotels, etc. with his name on the envelope ( like the amazing race). You could tape clues to the bottom of church pews. You could give clues to historical sites or landmarks where he would have to figure out where to go next (longitude or latitude thing).

Here's what I've found on Cc and from ***Frommer's)

La Bombanero for breakfast or lunch (except I think it's closed now) :(

Tio Danny's or Partot Club on Forteleza.

El Asador (grill)

Cafeteria Malorca is great for breakfast or lunch (pastries)

La Madre

***La Fonda del Jibarito- wonderful native Puerto Rican food. A local favorite

Punto de Vista - local cuisine and reasonably priced.

Cafe Puerto Rico- wonderful mofongo!!

*** Barrachina's - home of the original Piña Colada!! Wonderful food and they have a great flamenco show.

Marmalade - a GREAT tasting menu!

Well.... That's a start! :D Have fun!!! Let us know how it goes!!!

I don't know how his wife can get him to do a scavenger hunt w/o him thinking somethings strange! She could say we have to go to the Don Q Rum tasting room....everybody says its a not to be missed...and then you guys could be there when they come in. Have fun. Hope it stays a surprise!:)

....Or have his DW tell him she wants to taste a pina colada from the place that claims to have 'invented' them at Barrachina. You could be sitting at the bar when they come in. They way it is configured, they have to pass the bar to enter.

There are some old prison cells off the courtyard behind the Puerto Rico Tourism Company. This is along the Paseo La Princessa promenade .. but before the Raices Fountain .... I originally discovered courtyard area on an OSJ Self-Guided Walking Tour that I found online.

Archived