priority check-in OPT Sydney

pax2

We have not previously embarked at the Overseas Passenger Terminal, only disembarked.

Where is the marquee located to drop off the luggage?

When we sailed on Radiance earlier this year it was located at the right side of the terminal if viewing from the road. Only a short distance from the queue. They have flags & signs to identify it.

Just a cautionary tale...have heard that some ratbags have taken the opportunity to relieve people of their bags at the kerb while everyone is over excited and distracted...may sure you are aware of your surroundings and only surrender your luggage to the appropriate people...they should be wearing identification.

Sydney is a pretty safe place but wherever there is an opportunity there is some scum willing to take advantage.:mad:

Two weeks to the Radiance doing happy dance now..

Sue

When we sailed on Radiance earlier this year it was located at the right side of the terminal if viewing from the road. Only a short distance from the queue. They have flags & signs to identify it.

Thank you for your reply.

I've got some photos to show you where the Baggage Drop-off is and where the marquees are for check-in. Not good quality photo as I took them on my phone, but you can see where those 2 locations are.

Baggage Drop-off

IMG_20121104_142018.jpg

You can see the Check-in marquees, I couldnt really get any closer as it was really busy with passengers queuing and crowds watching various buskers.

IMG_20121104_142045.jpg

HTH

The baggage drop off was ina different spot when we went earlier this year, it was right up against the OPT building not so far away.

I wonder if they change it depending on the ship size etc?

This placement in the pic makes me wonder about security regards being in an open area with the public walking past & potentially walking off with a suitcase, especially if things got busy?

Tillydog, are you working at the OPT or were you a passenger?:)

I wonder if they change it depending on the ship size etc?

Tillydog, are you working at the OPT or were you a passenger?:)

I'm not keen on the new luggage drop off system and that was just from watching everything going on. Lots of port staff/baggage handlers around, but to me it just seems to be kinda double handling. Just seemed easier all round when the luggage drop off was in it's previous spot nearer the terminal.

No I dont work at the OPT, neither was I a passenger! I'm just a cruise ship stalker!! (arent we all on here?!!!) :D

Maybe Gbenjo can shed an opinion on the new baggage drop off. He does work at the OPT!

To Gbenjo,

You have such good information and a sense of humor.

Could you please tell me how Celebrity is now handling passengers on a back to back?

I understand that may have changed as well.

Thank you so much,

GC

Thank you....... have to have a sense of humour dealing with all those "different..hard to handle....... demanding.. passengers :D:D:D:D

Not sure about Celebrity and back to back pax. If I recall correctly from last season they were issued new sea passes on board but dont hold me to that. We have not yet had a 'briefing" about the Celebrity turnarounds for this season so I cannot really help you. We dont get the Millenium in till the 22nd November and Solstice 9th December so I will know more then and let you know.

Thank you....... have to have a sense of humour dealing with all those "different..hard to handle....... demanding.. passengers :D:D:D:D

Not sure about Celebrity and back to back pax. If I recall correctly from last season they were issued new sea passes on board but dont hold me to that. We have not yet had a 'briefing" about the Celebrity turnarounds for this season so I cannot really help you. We dont get the Millenium in till the 22nd November and Solstice 9th December so I will know more then and let you know.

Hey Gbenjo,

I have asked you a question on another thread regards the luggage check in, so won't repeat myself here.

I was thinking though you may need to start your own thread - 'all things OPT' from the one that knows! :D

Better still start your own website & charge a dollar an answer, with so many cruise passengers sailing you could soon afford to retire!!!

Must say though we found the check in staff earlier this year were lovely, very friendly & easy going, although it was early in the day & we are low maintenance type passengers!:D

I'm sure some of the passengers really push your buttons at times!

Not sure about Celebrity and back to back pax. If I recall correctly from last season they were issued new sea passes on board but dont hold me to that. We have not yet had a 'briefing" about the Celebrity turnarounds for this season so I cannot really help you.

Yes, that's the way Celebrity have done it for many years, that you have a separate meet-up on board and there's no need to get off. If you change cabins, a steward will move the bags for you (if desired). I haven't heard any changes to that lately.

With the popularity of Royal rapidly increasing, i see the priority line being larger than the newbie line very quickly.:cool:

Somewhat concerned about the baggage security though.

:D They will then have to have multiple priority check in lines, one for each suite type & C&A level! LOL Bigger terminal needed asap!!

I agree re baggage security, this is the question I asked on another thread. If the baggage check in is too far from the OPT I think I'll stand around to watch until our bags head out the back of the tent!!

Don't want my new formal night high heels dancing the night away on someone elses feet!!! :D

The new set up with the long Marquee and and luggage drop off point is intended only for the Voyager and Solstice due to the much larger number of pax for these two ships in an attempt to reduce congestion near to the entrance if they used the original baggage drop off point. Having said that the set up was used yesterday with Rhapsody due to a norovirus outbreak on the incoming cruise and the delays it caused in cleaning and sanitizing before pax were allowed on board. I dont think there will be any security problems with the new baggage drop off point as the bags will loaded straight onto trolleys and taken to the security screening area.

Hey Gbenjo,

I have asked you a question on another thread regards the luggage check in, so won't repeat myself here.

I was thinking though you may need to start your own thread - 'all things OPT' from the one that knows! :D

Better still start your own website & charge a dollar an answer, with so many cruise passengers sailing you could soon afford to retire!!!

Must say though we found the check in staff earlier this year were lovely, very friendly & easy going, although it was early in the day & we are low maintenance type passengers!:D

I'm sure some of the passengers really push your buttons at times!

I have already retired...That's why I work at the OPT...... the perfect retirement job for a cruise "enthusiast"

Don't know so much about the website we only do the"turnarounds" for RCI & Celebrity so I dont know much about the other cruiselines but more than happy to answer any questions if I can

Happily there are very, very few (if any) "button pushing" passengers. The vast majority are just excited about going on a cruise for the first time and are unsure of how things work. I guess understandably when going on holidays a lot of people "switch off the brain" to a certain degree but this just adds to the fun for us.

Gbenjo

Thanks for the info re OPT that you have been passing on

Re the "new" marquees--- will these have seats in them?? On the few occasions I have departed from the OPT, we have always had to queue out in the sun before entering the terminal building. We will be on VOS in late January, so boarding time of around midday will be HOT!!! :(

Barry

Gbenjo

Re the "new" marquees--- will these have seats in them?? On the few occasions I have departed from the OPT, we have always had to queue out in the sun before entering the terminal building. We will be on VOS in late January, so boarding time of around midday will be HOT!!! :(

Barry

Sorry Barry no seats....... the idea of the marquee was to give shade for the people standing in line... hopefully with staggered check in times (of which I know you are a BIG fan :D) and the priority lines, plus I believe we will a lot more computers and check in staff available, things should flow pretty smoothly. The reason for the long lines outside by the way is partly due to the fact that because of the space (lack of ) available inside the terminal there is a safety issue as to how many people can be inside at once, so, sadly we have to hold people back in the line outside.. not ideal but we have to comply with the safety requirements.

Gbenjo

Barry

From what I saw, no seats in the marquees. But the lines do seem to move pretty fast. Yesterday alot of passengers filling out paperwork sitting on the benches nearby, and alot of passengers up on the Observation Deck talking to friends and relatives and just killing time as they didnt want to board until later. I didnt quite get that part as I'd want to be on the ship as soon as I could. Oh well, each to their own I guess!

Once you're under the shade of the marquees, it looked ok and then you're straight into the terminal. As I said, the lines moved pretty fast when there were lines.

HTH

From what I saw, no seats in the marquees. But the As I said, the lines moved pretty fast when there were lines.

Just goes to show that Gbenjo and his mates are working hard and doing a great job processing all those passengers!

according to the documents I got from carnival you can drop your luggage down there from 8 am. That's what we are planning to do as can't board before 1 pm and need to be out of our hotel by 10:00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Has anyone tried dropping luggage off for the Carnival Spirit at 8.00 am at OPT ? I am going to work in the morning and would be great to check in luggage before hand and not have to drag it around Sydney

Just goes to show that Gbenjo and his mates are working hard and doing a great job processing all those passengers!

Thanks Brad .. nice sucking up Now........ when are you cruising from the OPT????;););)

Don' t worry folks.. it won't do him any good. Dollar signs are the only things that work for me.:D:D:D

Priority check in starts at Gold level, so pretty much anybody who has sailed with RCI before.

There should be a small coloured block with a letter.. eg: gold block, letter G , just below your stateroom number just up and to the left of the barcode which indicates your C&A level.

Provided that you have registered for C&A it should be on the set Sail so you may want to ring Royal Caribbean and check with them. You could also go online and check your status that way and it will be updated before you you sail in December

I found my little gold G on my set-sail pass so I'm ready for "priority boarding" for all C&A members.

Thanks so much for all your informed information about what to expect at the dock.

I will share this information with our ROLL CALL for 23&24 November. I'll be the one with the biggest grin on my face!:D

Gae

Archived