What name would you give the new HAL ship?

ASIWISH

... Edam would be good historical choices.
What a cheesy idea!
** For those of us who have English as our first language, the names I have put asteriks are near impossible for us to pronounce.
Arguably, that already goes for Oosterdam, Rijndam, Veendam and Zuiderdam - so I can't see how it would stop HAL if that's what the line wanted to do!

What a cheesy idea!Arguably, that already goes for Oosterdam, Rijndam, Veendam and Zuiderdam - so I can't see how it would stop HAL if that's what the line wanted to do!

I'd have to argue that point. We english as our first language folks can prounounce Veendam without difficulty, HAL spells Rigngam in a familiar looking letter arrangement for us and spells it Ryndam...... Some of the names in that other thread were impossible for my tongue to wrap around. :D

But I think most of us probably recognize that. ;)

They should retire the current Statendam and Veendam - and call the new ship Statendam (VI)

Many of us think those ships are for sale. The trick is to find a buyer. HAL would likely be happy to find a ready, willing and able buyer for those ships. :) Easier said than done.

I'd have to argue that point. We english as our first language folks can prounounce Veendam without difficulty, HAL spells Rigngam in a familiar looking letter arrangement for us and spells it Ryndam...... Some of the names in that other thread were impossible for my tongue to wrap around. :D

But I think most of us probably recognize that. ;)

Come on... challenge yourself to go beyond the known. :)

Many of us think those ships are for sale. The trick is to find a buyer. HAL would likely be happy to find a ready, willing and able buyer for those ships. :) Easier said than done.

Seabourne? ;)

Don't be surprised if the ship is named Prinsendam. The current Prinsndam can't sail forever and has seen much water go by under her keel.

Keep in mind that the Prinsendam was the 4th ship to be built for Royal Viking, and I believe her three older sisters are still in operation. In fact, her 16 year older sister is now known as Black Watch with the Fred Olsen Cruise Lines. (Although, I think the main engines had to be replaced several years ago to help keep her going.)

Don't be surprised if the ship is named Prinsendam. The current Prinsndam can't sail forever and has seen much water go by under her keel.

Bite your tongue! :eek:

I'm with you on this one Ruth:D:D Prinsendam has a lot of life left in her as long as she is cared for (where is that darned fingers crossed icon:confused::confused:)

Come on... challenge yourself to go beyond the known. :)

:D We all know our limitations...... :) ROFL.........

Seabourne? ;)

Why would Carnival/HAL want Seabourne to have two old ships that HAL wants rid of? :confused: If HAL guests complain so about Veendam, I don't think Seabourne's guests would like her deficiencies very much.

Whogivesadam

Notworthadam

Boosterdam

Notmydamjob

and if the boosters would stop blindly defending HAL's decline thereby providing a steady stream of uncritical revenue

StoptheRotadam

HAL is just fine...IMHO...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Why would Carnival/HAL want Seabourne to have two old ships that HAL wants rid of? :confused: If HAL guests complain so about Veendam, I don't think Seabourne's guests would like her deficiencies very much.

Maybe they can transfer smaller ships and write-off the expenses of major fixes and upgrades. (Pure speculation!)

Maybe they can transfer smaller ships and write-off the expenses of major fixes and upgrades. (Pure speculation!)

IF they spend heavy money on them, great. They are lovely ships.

But, if they were to do that, why not keep them in the HAL fleet and put the money and work into them?

The small ships still appeal to a large market of people and if the ships got the deficiences addressed, let HAL have them for more years.

I know it always comes down to money and Seabourne guests would expect to pay higher per diems than the vast majority of HAL guests so Statendam could operate at more hope of 'decent fares' under Seabourne than it can for HAL.

When we started cruising, as often as not, we traveled on old ocean liners that were pushing fifty years of service. They were often elegant and did not present many of the issues that dog some of HAL's older stock. Did they just build them better in the "old days" or were they maintained better? It seems so wasteful to discard ships that are only pushing twenty years of age. Why not maintain and update?

Oh yeah, I know the answer -- economy of operation for a large cookie cutter ship rather than maintain the ships that created the unprecedented loyalty that HAL has enjoyed and has built her reputation.

Viva the lack of difference between cruise lines! I will miss the old HAL.

When we started cruising, as often as not, we traveled on old ocean liners that were pushing fifty years of service. They were often elegant and did not present many of the issues that dog some of HAL's older stock. Did they just build them better in the "old days" or were they maintained better? It seems so wasteful to discard ships that are only pushing twenty years of age. Why not maintain and update?

Oh yeah, I know the answer -- economy of operation for a large cookie cutter ship rather than maintain the ships that created the unprecedented loyalty that HAL has enjoyed and has built her reputation.

Viva the lack of difference between cruise lines! I will miss the old HAL.

I think things were made better in the old days (one of the reasons I think prinsendam can be around):rolleyes: I remember my first stove lasted over 25 years - this one is not that old and is already on it's last legs and has had several repairs:eek: so, yes I think things were made better in days past;)

Rather than sell, IMO Carnival would do better to internally transfer those vessels:

Statendam, Ryndam and Maasdam to Cunard: After a few months each of extensive maintenance/renovations on their internal HVAC/Plumbing systems and renovation of the Loft/Club HAL areas as exclusive Queen's Grill dining rooms, they could serve well for the next 5-10 years as small cruiseliner alternatives to the Queens - rename them Caronia, Carinthia and Carpathia, put them on extended itineraries and charge the fares necessary to make them profitable while offering the service that makes the high fares justifiable.

Veendam I would ship off to P&O Australia or Costa for the South American or Asian market.

Archived