Dance floor vs. ballrooms at sea

stewieL

My wife and I have taken 4 cruises thus far, and have been very disappointed in the very small dance flors that are almost always present on ships, including Celebrity ships, Royal Carb. ships and Carnival ships. I am not talking disco dance floors, where the crowds can get very tightly packed, but the lounges where music other than hip-hop is played.

We enjoy latin dancing (salsa, cha cha, tango), all forms of swing and huslte, and even fox-trot. The pictures of the Queen's room on the QM2 compelled us to book a cruise on her this Fall.

Are there any folks out there with other recommendations? We absolutely love dancing, and are looking for a ship with a lounge or dance floor that allows some room for a number of folks. It takes a commitment on the part of the ship/line, since it means fewer tables for serving drinks. Anyway, we would appreciate any input, thoughts, suggestions.

Stewart and Marilyn

Crystal has two areas that have a very nice dancing area plus with two of their three ships carrying only 940 passengers, the dance floors are never crowded. Crystal also has professional dance teams on every cruise to give lessons on all the dances you mentioned plus many others.

Darcie

Believe it or not, the NCL Sea has a good-sized dance floor in one of their larger lounges.

This was a few years ago, but for some reason, because of the scheduling of several events, we had the ship's show band on that dance floor all to ourselves one evening for about an hour. It was wonderful and very romantic.

I understand your frustration, we love to dance, too.

NCL Norway: 10/89,10/93, 4/00, 4/01-- RCI Viking Serenade: 1/97 -- RCI Majesty O' Seas: 10/97 -- NCL Wind: 10/98, 10/99 -- NCL Sea:11/00 -- Celeb Summit: 11/01 -- Celeb Millennium: 3/02 -- NCL Sun: 11/02 -- Carnival Pride: 5/03 -- RCI Radiance O' Seas: 11/03 -- NCL Sky: 01/04

All aboard the NCL Sun, 11/06/04!!

I agree that NCL has the better dance floors for ballroom type of dancing, at the mid price range cruise line.

We have also found that on longer cruises, the type of dance music that you are looking for is more prominent. We did a 11 day cruise on Princess, and found before dinner was the best time to "ballroom" dance. Although the floor was not all that large, the floor was not crowded.

On shorter 3 and 4 day cruises.... not a chance at all!!!!

Thanks for the input. I guess it would sound dumb to those who don't love dancing, but in our hectic life we hardly get enough chances to get out and dance...maybe 2-3 times a month. It's the one thing we love, so a vacation on a Ship, with all the costs, should give the benefit of letting us do what we love best in the evening.

Sounds like Crystal might be one to do next. Our QM2 cruise is in a few months, but will definitely post how the Ballroom is there.

Stewart

Archived