Appropriate Attire for Visiting European Churches

lbenson

Our family is taking a Med cruise this July. We will be visiting churches and other sites. In the past, I remember that women had to be modestly dressed. Can we wear shorts (golf length), sandals, or short sleeve or sleeveless tops? Are the standards the same for adults as well as children (9 year old boy)? Are you actually not permitted in if your are not wearing the proper attire? Thanks Laura

The problem seems to be with spaghetti strap tops or tank tops. Entry is either refused or a shawl is provided. The elderly matrons and the nuns can be quite severe. Clean, neat, and mended summer attire should present no problem. Revealing attire or attire that is more appropriate for a beach will not be accepted.

Sailing from Galveston aboard the Grand in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;11;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Cruise/Tour around Cape Horn in

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2005;1;20;9;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

You may also want to bring along a head-covering of some sort - hat or scarf. When I visited Russia, women were not permitted in churches without their heads being covered.

Voyager of the Seas - 05/04

Tahitian Princess - 10/03 (Our Honeymoon)

Carnival Paradise - 08/02

If Rome is one of your stops, know that St. Peter's is very strict with clothing. Last year we saw lots of women turned away wearing shorts and sleevless tops. You must have your shoulders completely covered and absolutely no shorts. It's the same for St. Mark's in Venice. They have people standing outside the churches and if you're not dressed appropriately you are refused admittance. Shorts for men is also a no. Capris are fine and t-shirts with sleeves are also OK. If you should go into other churches, some are more restrictive than others. Greek Orthodox and Islamic are quite strict with clothing requirements.

Darcie

From what I been seeing for the med cruise is most places want knees and shoulders covered. I didnt read anything about head wear. But its good to know such stuff.

THis isnt just for churches but museums also.

Going NOWHERE

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Miracle, February 13, 2005

Legend, October 22,2004

Voyager August 31,2003

Victory September 22,2002

Regal Empress,June 2001

Sensation,August 2000

Bottom line is... cover your shoulders and knees, and you will be fine, in most cases. These were the only regulations that I found when on my Med cruise, a couple years ago. If you want to wear shorts, if it is very hot out (as it was when I was there in July), bring a large sarong to tie around your waist, and just refrain from wearing a tank top, unless you have a second scarf to cover your shoulders. We were not questioned about wearing something on our heads at the Vatican, or any other church in Italy, Greece, or Turkey...

Pam : )

Emerald Seas 6/20/83

Nordic Empress 6/93

Imagination 3/30/00

Ecstasy 9/4/00

Majesty of the Seas 10/27/00

Triumph 12/16/00

Radiance of the Seas

3/26/01 & 3/29/01

Crown Odyssey 6/24/01

Golden Princess 10/11/01

Spirit 11/11/01

Sensation GGC 1/13/02

Sovereign of the Seas 3/24/02

Imagination 5/18/02

Pride 11/2/02

Explorer of the Seas 3/29/03

Enchantment of the Seas 9/1/03

Serenade of the Seas 10/28/03

Grand Princess 11/16/03

check out my pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/lunyma

It was really hot when we were in Italy a couple of years ago (July), and I found that a sleeveless dress was really cooler than shorts and a t-shirt. I brought a lightweight scarf to tie around my shoulders. I noticed some of the men had those pants that convert to shorts -- that seemed like a great idea!

Just an aside note, Europeans dress more formally in the city than we do , they don't wear beach wear to town , period. As North Americans we sometimes forget how much more casual we are here. Tourist do tend to stand out because of their clothes , so to make your self less of interest to pick-pockets try to look like a local!

If you are going to Italy the rule is that your shoulders and your knees need to be covered. This has been the requirement since my first trip there in 1978 and was the same last month. I watched women being told to leave at the entrance to St. Peters.

Whether it is hot or not it is a matter of respect and other countries, especially Italy, take their religious beliefs seriously. In Turkey I had to cover myself with a drape at the Mosques and stand in the rear with the rest of the women.

I have spent a lot of time in Europe and hope to live in Italy in the not too distant future and I have learned that one of the reasons Americans are considered "ugly Americans" os that many are so disrepectful of the cultures and beliefs of the countries they are visiting. The previous poster is right on. You can spot an American tourist a mile away by his/her dress and sneakers.

CG

RCI(37),NCL(12),Princess(1),HAL(2),Celebrity(3), Carnival(2), Eastern (13),Radisson(2), Star Clippers(1),Home Lines(2), Costa(5),Big Red Boat (6), Dolphin (1), Commodore (2), Others (11)

Covered knees and shoulders seems to be the common practice. Additionally I ave take a sarong and used that over my shorts or tank when entering. Some places have paper pnchos that you can put over your shoulders (silly looking but at least you get in). icon_smile.gif

I read these posts about looking like a tourist and I start laughing out loud. OK, so take away the sneakers, the shorts, the "beachwear" and dress like a local. Then go to all the touristy sites with your camcorder rolling and no one will pick you out as a tourist! Good grief! You are an American and you are a tourist - dress the way you like (except for the churches and museums).

Peter

Not all travellers carry camcorders and spend their time visiting the tourist sites. Some of us do not even own a camera and prefer to just absorb the culture, the architecture, and get to know the places we visit.

To each his own.

RCI(37),NCL(12),Princess(1),HAL(2),Celebrity(3), Carnival(2), Eastern (13),Radisson(2), Star Clippers(1),Home Lines(2), Costa(5),Big Red Boat (6), Dolphin (1), Commodore (2), Others (11)

Archived