Need help...

JodiBB

I wish you lived closer.....I would help you...... Do you belong to a gym? That's where I practiced until our heater was turned on at our pool.... lol... Just take your time and you'll do it....but don't pressure yourself.... :D

cruzegirl...you're so sweet! Thanks for all the support...I belong to a gym, but no pool there :(

I've decided I'm not going to pressure myself over it this weekend. It'll just psych me out and I definitely don't want that...I'll work with my instructor on it on Tuesday (next pool dive) and master this thing yet!! My first OW dive isn't until 6/12, so I've got some time to work on this...

Your welcome Jodi......I will think positive thoughts for you... And do take the weekend off....Give yourself a break...... lol... Have fun....Once your down there, it's amazing.... Wish I could post a photo of me underwater here but the file size is too big.... lol.......

I agree with Kent! When my kids and I got certified last October my 14 year old son had this same problem. Our instructor also would not let him pinch his nose. This was the some of the best advice our instructor gave my son. It is best to be familar with the sensation of water at your nose as if your mask does come off in the water you must not over-react. Our instructor let us schedule an additional pool session with him at no extra fee to give my son the extra time required to GET IT. This one extra session was all he needed for him to be able to grasp this drill comfortably. He can now no mask breathe like a pro and is very comfortable with this exercise. Kent is right, if your instructor isn't able to help you master this exercise, it may be time for a new instructor. We finished our course at the end of October and received our PADI OW cards with our pics in the mail 2 weeks later. We have since done 4 lake dives and 6 ocean dives including a night dive and love it more each time. Diving is an Awesome experience! Good luck!

Sandie

Ok JodiBB,

It's now Wednesday......How did your pool session go? I hope all went well...... I thought of you yesterday as I was swimming in our pool....... Still practice the mask off/clearing..... Just to keep on it.....lol......

cruzegirl...how sweet of you!!

I had my second deep pool dive yesterday. The instructor and I worked on mask removal and I actually did it for about 10 seconds without having to pinch my nose closed. We went to the surface and every trick she suggested still allowed me to breathe through my nose freely, which she found odd...she agreed to contact other instructors to find out other alternatives for me.

She still wanted me to swim underwater with the mask removed, but allowed me to hold my nose closed while doing it. I had NO problems doing it this way and could even put my mask back on and clear it afterwards without any problems. I think she felt a lot better knowing I wouldn't freak out at least and could successfully swim underwater without a mask.

All the other exercises were SO easy!! She said that many people tend to inhale during the CESA ascention and fail that, but we had no problems and taking the BCD off underwater was also easy..

So she's letting me boat dive in 2 weeks (it's supposed to be this weekend, but my schedule prevents me from going with my class) and she'll be there so she'll know my strengths/limitations...

In the meantime, if she comes up with other ideas to help me with the mask removal exercises, she said she would contact me...

Well at least you had a good pool session...... And some of the other things were easy....I had a hard time with the BC removal. I wore myself out trying to get it back on....Just a coordination issue but after the pool session, I went to the pool and practiced for an hour....lol.... I'm a bulldog like that.... I was good with my CESA.. the first boat dive I failed it though.... I forgot to take a good breathe of air but did fine on the next dive.. I kept trying to remember what I did yesterday when removing my mask to help you.. I know that as I get ready to take it off, I inhale, close my eyes, hold my breathe for 1-2 seconds then exhale out my mouth....That keeps me doing mouth breathing because the initial shock of the water does make me inhale through my nose... then I just do mouth breathing... And when I put the mask on, as it goes on I exhale out my nose when I put it against my face.... then finish clearing.. I know it's different for each person.... I know you can do this....lol... I know it.....good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone...Here's an update!!!

First, I experienced my first OW dive (under instruction of course) out at Catalina. I completed 3 of my 4 dives on this one day. It was a boat dive and it was great! As there was only me and my instructor (private lessons), we had the opportunity to knock out the skills in 5 minutes or less and we had 30 minutes or so to just dive and enjoy the kelp forests...it was a great experience!!

Second, last night, my instructor had another pool dive class and invited me to practice in the shallow end. I could easily sit in the shallow end with my respirator and w/o a mask under water. So then I tried it with a partially flooded mask and my respirator. I realized my nose didn't like being confined and would pull the mask off underwater and suddenly, I was breathing just with my respirator underwater without the mask!! Putting it back on was a little more difficult and sometimes I had to clear it twice. This was the only time my instructor allowed me to hold my nose so I could take a second breath to finally clear my mask...I did it!!!!

When the rest of her class did the exercise at 13', she asked me to join them, I swam across the pool without my mask with ease and put my mask back on...I passed this skill!!! It was the only skill that was holding me back as at our beach dive we have to do this and I wasn't prepared to do it without trying it in the pool first. Now I know I can and I'll be able to do it in the ocean with ease!!!

Certification, here I come!!

:D Jodi,

I am so proud of you...... Congratulations....... I knew you could do it.... I know what it's like to both have those issues as well as when you conquer them.... I don't even know you but have a little emotion that you did so well and are well on your way to certification...... :) Good job..... You mentioned diving Catalina.....Do you live in California? I do too.... Maybe one day we'll meet up on a dive.... And wait til your certification is done and you get to do your own dive with friends.... I did that a week & 1/2 ago and what a great feeling.... Now it's on to Advanced for me... I need more practice.....lol;) ... Good job Girl.........

:D Jodi,

I am so proud of you......You mentioned diving Catalina.....Do you live in California? I do too.... Maybe one day we'll meet up on a dive.... And wait til your certification is done and you get to do your own dive with friends.... I did that a week & 1/2 ago and what a great feeling.... Now it's on to Advanced for me... I need more practice.....lol;) ... Good job Girl.........

Thanks so much cruzegirl!! My instructor was so happy for me she was hugging me UW in the pool! We also really bonded on my boat trip (dives # 1,2, & 3) as she's been telling other instructors that diving with me was more like diving with a buddy than a student....what a compliment!!!!!!

Yes I live in So. Cal. We took off from Long Beach (Pier 55) on the Cee Ray. Had 2 GREAT DM's who really set a "party" tone for the boat!! Can't wait to finish this up this weekend and get my C-card!

That is a great compliment Jodi..... Good job.... What are do you live in out here? Don't give specifics.... For me, I'm in the Santa Clarita area.... You keep going.... your doing great..... :D We went out San Pedro on the Magician....Very cool too.... Then went out of Ventura the last dive on the Spectre..... Loved it......

I live on the border of the LA/Inland Empire area.

On the Magician...it was on Saturday, June 4? If so, you were on the boat with my classmate and instructor. My class was supposed to go out on the 4th, but I could not attend and my make-up was on the Cee Ray the next weekend (Sunday)...small world... :D

We knew you would get it! In Catalina no less - that's some COLD water!!!

Now all you have to do is get some dives under your belt to become a lady shark.

Lady sharks:

are first off the boat and last on with air to spare

don't wear makeup on the boat

don't care that their hair is a mess

gently help out other divers

keep track of their gear

help keep an eye on the newbies

encourage ALL the other lady divers!

Welcome to our underwater world.

Wendy

Wendy & bruce_r...

Thanks so much for your support! The water in Catalina was about 66 degrees at the bottom (35'). With a 7mm wetsuit, the water warmed up pretty fast and as long as we were moving, it wasn't that bad. I felt the cold mostly when we were kneeling at the bottom while I completed my required skills. Happily that would only take 5 minutes at the most and then we dove for the next 25-30 minutes...never felt the cold then...

Wendy...as for the Lady Sharks...

Lady sharks:

are first off the boat and last on with air to spare

Could never get off first, our tanks weren't positioned in that way on the refill bar. But we were usually one of the last back on the boat after each dive!!

don't wear makeup on the boat

That wasn't a problem...no makeup anywhere in sight!!

don't care that their hair is a mess

Wearing a hood, never had to worry about this either.

gently help out other divers

I left this to my instructor *wink wink*

keep track of their gear

Always.....

help keep an eye on the newbies

Being I was the "newest" newbie on the boat, I kept close tabs on myself *wink wink*

encourage ALL the other lady divers!

I plan to!!!

Again...thanks for all the tips and support!! It helps a lot knowing that at my beach dive this weekend (my last dive to get my c-card!!) that I'll be able to accomplish this task!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey JodiBB,

Thought I'd check in and see how your diving is going? Are you doing alot of it out here? I have been almost every 1-2 weeks.... I'm having so much fun.... Going out with my friends tomorrow off Catalina Island... It's such a blast.......:D

• 3 months later...

Jodi,

Thought I'd check in and see how your diving is going??? Are you diving in California?? I'm looking for another dive buddy... My current one has a steady guy and not available that often:rolleyes: .. lol..... I'd love to hear how it's going for you.........:p

• 4 months later...

Jodi,

Hey there.... I saw you post on the Nitrox thread on the Scuba board and thought I'd check in and say hi.... How are you?? How's the diving?? I just got back from Acapulco and it was wonderful.... Always looking for a dive buddy!!:p :D

I agree with Kent, go back to the pool and work with the instructor or DM, get some positive feedback and quit beating yourself up over this. You'll do just fine because you sound determined to master this skill and have put in great effort in doing so. I am sure your instructor will see the improvement. A little more work will go along way. Good luck...Paul:)

Jodi,

Hey there.... I saw you post on the Nitrox thread on the Scuba board and thought I'd check in and say hi.... How are you?? How's the diving?? I just got back from Acapulco and it was wonderful.... Always looking for a dive buddy!!:p :D

Hey cruzegirl! Thanks for looking me up!! Things are great! I took a hiatus after getting my OW cert due to financial issues, but I jumped back into it this last February. Since then, I've become AOW certified and almost Wreck Certified as well (one more wreck dive to get the cert).

I'm jealous that you dove in warm water...I'm now on a hunt to find the right gear as I've been renting up to this point and have come to the conclusion that purchasing (except the tank for now) is going to keep me in the water...

Would love to dive with you! Let me know when you're in So Cal and want to dive!!

I agree with Kent, go back to the pool and work with the instructor or DM, get some positive feedback and quit beating yourself up over this. You'll do just fine because you sound determined to master this skill and have put in great effort in doing so. I am sure your instructor will see the improvement. A little more work will go along way. Good luck...Paul:)

Paul...thanks for the encouragement...this was actually an older thread from last summer when I was in my OW class....but it's nice to know scuba divers stick together!!!

Hey Jody,

So glad you checked in.... I always wondered how you did and are doing... Yes, us divers stick together.... so you did your AOW.. Very good.... And the wreck diving? Your braver than me.... I'm not yet brave enough for that... I'm so afraid of getting trapped.... lol....

Yes, the warm waters are awesome.... I also dove in Hawaii last year.... On the webshots site are my Hawaii photos too.... You should join our scuba cruise to the Caribbean in Dec... Check out the Carnival Valor cruise under cruise critic cruises... It's for Dec. 10th.... Should be tons of fun....

Your right about buying your own equipment... Plus there's such security in having your own and knowing how it's taken care of.... Can't believe you did so much diving in the winter... lol... I went twice, Jan. & Feb. and decided I would not dive again until it warmed up...... Something about 50 degree water bugs me......lol....So I'm going out May 21st on the Spectre.... You should check out www.ecodivecenter.com.... I'm not sure where you live but they have great meetings, great trips and are a very active dive club...

Take care and good to hear from you....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey cruzegirl! Just checkin in with you! I just signed up to go out on the Sundiver on the 27th...it'll be my first dive since the wreck dives...BTW, your wreck specialty...it's not a penetration specialty...it's just a "dive down to the wrecks," but knowing the hazards involved...penetration is a whole other specialty. But diving down to the wrecks and seeing the reef-life is incredible!

As for the cold water, I wear a .5 mm isotherm underneath my 7 mm....even at 51 degrees at 90', I can't feel a thing!! It's great! Might want to consider that if you want to dive in winter.

I'm still working on getting my own equipment...haven't yet...will be renting next weekend. However, I am going to the SCUBA show next month in Long Beach...are you going????

Take care!

Hey Jodi,

So cool your going out on the Sundiver.... Let me know how that boat is.. I haven't been on that one... always looking for new places to go....

That would be cool to go see wrecks.... I could do that specialty.. have so many to do, so little time.....lol..... Check out the dive club I mentioned.. They have great speakers and are very active.... they are having a guest speaker, Karl Huggins doing a presentation next month.... And they will have a booth at the Scuba show.

Wait to get your equipment until after the Scuba show... I went last year and tried on everything I could find... That's how I found the BC I liked.... it helped alot..... I will be there.. On the 24th as I work the 25th but they also have alot of photo taking seminars going on.... So must check that out...Which day are you going?? Maybe I'll see you there??

Let me know how your diving goes on the 27th..... Have fun......

Archived