Anyone ever get depressed BEFORE vacation?

SoCalKJ

I know it sounds like a real kill-joy/bummer, but does anyone ever get so overwhelmed before leaving...thinking about all the crud you gotta come home to, that it puts a temporary stop to the anticipation/excitement?

I'm excited, but I feel mixed emotions. I can't wait for this vacation and we definitely deserve it, but it's hard to stay in the moment and enjoy it for ALL it's worth without getting grumpy about the crap that awaits upon returning.

I gotta ask God to help me stay IN THE MOMENT! :rolleyes:

I did notice this time I wasn't as excited as I have been in the past but now that its getting closer I am starting to get excited. You are going to have a great time. I remember my mother-in-law telling me its my job as a parent to worry. But I strongly disagree. I like your idea about praying. Don't worry about anything but pray about everything. That will keep you in peace so you can be free to enjoy yourself.:)

I am the same way, sometimes it's just not worth the struggle of making sure everything is covered at home and anticipating what you're going to return too.

It's all good when you get there, it's just the 72hours before leaving that stress me out. Here's what I did.....make a list of inspirational quotes that relate to your feelings, put them in your pocket and read through them during the day. It helped me to put my anxieties aside and concentrate on just how lucky I am to be able to go on vacation.

I have anxiety attacks until I get to the airport, and then at that point I finally realize I'm going on a cruise and it's real.

Roz

I was starting to list the monumental "worries" I have upon returning home but the list would go on forever - own business, older dog, did I lock the doors?, on and on...

Our cruises have been MAGICAL - as Roz posted, the worries all go away once on the plane

We arrive home, a little hectic, but EVERY TIME, everything is well and we look forward to our next cruise and REAL vacation

I used to actually worry that all of my stress and concern would ruin my cruise - NOT! :)

Not knowing what "crap' awaits you upon your return, it's hard to say what you should do!

If the crap is something you can do something about...do it...and get it over with! Lists help get things in perspective...cross off items as they are done. You'll find that stuff isn't as bad as you thought it would be to complete.

If it's something out of your control, well, there's nothing you CAN do about it! So, realize that, and don't obsess over it...if possible!

And you hit the nail on the head....you deserve a vacation...everyone does! Keep saying that over and over!

The 4 big things I'm hit with when I get home are:

1. Laundry

2. Mountains of mail

3. Jammed e-mail inbox

4. Grocery shopping to restock perishables

If possible, I allow myself a day at home before heading back to work so I can attack all four.

Roz

I know it sounds like a real kill-joy/bummer, but does anyone ever get so overwhelmed before leaving...thinking about all the crud you gotta come home to, that it puts a temporary stop to the anticipation/excitement?

I'm excited, but I feel mixed emotions. I can't wait for this vacation and we definitely deserve it, but it's hard to stay in the moment and enjoy it for ALL it's worth without getting grumpy about the crap that awaits upon returning.

I'm feeling that way today. My cruise is just weeks away and I'm super excited about it, but at the same time, I'm thinking about how much I'm going to miss my little chihuahua. She's almost 12 and will be boarded for the week. I know she's going to feel like I've abandoned her. :(

I think this is very common. We are still two months out and I can't wait but when it comes to the last days before we leave I will be thinking, "I don't want to go." Happens all the time but once we get on the road I am fine and love the whole experience. I hear people say this all the time. Just so much to think about and do and so many things that could happen it's all a little overwhelming.

Yes, I sometimes do. We plan and wait for the vacation to come and then it's over so quick! The money we spent on it is gone, but we still have the memories. Everytime I walk up onto the ship I'm thinking to myself how quick this will be over. My cure is to always be looking at the next one!

That's it, though...totally excited months and months in advance, but then different things start to surface and I get a little...well...you know.

A few weeks ago, my elderly Basset Hound had a seizure...the first and only so far, but enough to make me worry about the things I can't control...especially across the country.

Then worried that the person covering our gigs could have technical difficulties....

Then, I started to feel guilty because everyone around me is in financial hell...and my DH and I have (kinda) been living as if there hasn't been a recession and rather than save our hard-earned money, we're out spending like we've got money trees all around.

I am kind-of a self-sabotager...somehow seem to kill my own joy by forgetting to stay in the moment and enjoy every moment as they come...I'm usually doing some sad countdown of days left...or being bummed that we're back...AND WE HAVEN'T EVEN LEFT YET!

Oh well. I'm hopping on a plane in 10 hours. DisneyWorld/Sea World for 3 days, Ecstasy for 5 and then Tampa-area for another 3 days...so this HARD-EARNED 12 days of VACATION will be ENJOYED.

That's why we quit cruising in February. Sure, it's nice to get away from the snow and ice for a week, but it's a real bummer, after a week in the Caribbean, to come back home to Winter weather.:(

I definitely have pre-cruise anxiety. All the planning, packing, etc, falls on my shoulders and it can be overwhelming in the days immediately before we depart for the cruise. I hate flying, so any cruise that involves a flight already puts me on edge. I'm a natural worrier, and I replay in my mind all the things that could go wrong or important stuff I may forget to do. My sleep patterns get interrupted, which adds to my anxiety issues.

I'm feeling that way today. My cruise is just weeks away and I'm super excited about it, but at the same time, I'm thinking about how much I'm going to miss my little chihuahua. She's almost 12 and will be boarded for the week. I know she's going to feel like I've abandoned her. :(

The dogs are #1 on my worry list - one is 13, old for a bulldog so I know exactly how you are feeling.

Fortunately, they stay at Bed & Biscuit :) The BIG help is the owner emails us daily......the owners live on the premises and do not have Kennels per se'. The little doggies stay in the "Cottage" area. The dogs are never left alone, exhausted from playtime, and WE like the place and the owners.

Finding a fun and freindly boarding situation really helps, also, like kids, you worry about them, come home to find they had a great time!

Again, the emails help

Archived