What happens if you miss the boat?

MikeMonty

Hi,

I am going on a Med. cruise in June. Just have a few questions. My itenirery says the boat departs Barcelona at 7 pm? What time would they typically begin boarding for a 7 pm departure? What is the latest time you can board before departure? I am arriving early that morning, just trying to figuire out if I have time to show my wife around Barcelona.

Hypothetical situation, say I am in Florence doing my own thing(not on the cruise's excursion) and I missed the boat? Do they allow you to reboard at another port(assuming I took a train there)?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Boarding is usually 1/2 hour before sailing. If you miss the boat (ship) [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] it is your responsibility to catch it on the next port. If you are worried, make sure you get off the ship with a credit card and your passports.

I would check into the ship first and them go and check out the sites.

Nordic Prince, 82
Song of America, 89
Sovereigns of the Seas, 92
Song of America, 94
Ecstasy, 94
Millennium, 02
Grand Princess, 03
Majesty of the seas, 04

You'd be much better off flying into Barcelona a day or two early, and seeing the sights well before you cruise. And like since1982 said, carry your Passport with you at all times, in case you do miss the ship during a port of call. Yes - it's your responsibility to get yourself to the next port.

Thanks for the reply. "Ship", not boat, however I guess I will miss the boat if the ship sails without me[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I would love to get to Barcelona early, however, I can only get a certian amount of days off work. I have been to Barcelona several times, and since I only had 1 extra day, I choose to spend it in Venice after the cruise. My flight arrives at 9:30 AM, ship leaves at 7 pm. It should be fine, knock on wood. I will be sure to bring my passports b/c I am doing the majority of the excursions on my own. Thanks for the replys.

Mike

I think that someone suggested that you go ahead and board, and then leave the ship. You can probably get a local taxi driver to show your wife (and you) the highlights, and get back to the ship on time. Don't forget Gaudi!!

So what do you think is the earliest time they would allow you to board assuming a 7 pm departure? I figure I can make it to the ship by 12 pm assuming no major hang ups. I would like to just grab so tapas and vino tinto on Las Ramblas and chillout. I lived in Spain for awhile and love it there. The wife and I will go back and see Spain properly when we have more time. Thanks.

The time they let you start boarding depends upon what time the last passenger from the previous cruise gets off the ship.

Check the previous cruise, see what time embarkation is supposed to start, and add about 4-5 hours to that. That is a good time to plan on for getting to the ship, if you want to make dinner, hair, etc. appointments. Most lines want you on the ship 1 HOUR prior to sail away.

Counting down to the Rhapsody OTS - 12/05/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;5;18;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600[/img]

[This message was edited by mconthehighseas on 05-18-04 at 09:44 PM.]

What I can compare is the Southern Caribbean cruises from San Juan that leave in the evening, between 7-10:00 pm. We've been able to board by about noon, even though the ship left hours later. Europe may be much different, because of the visa requirements of certain European/Eastern European/South American citizens re-entering Barcelona (Spain). If I were you, I'd check out the Ports of Call Board to get more information. All cruise ships have to clear local Immigration and Security before previous passengers can debark, and new passengers can embark. European requirements may be far different than US requirements. I know that someone else pointed out that is a "ship", and not a "boat", and with all due courtesy, I would encourage you to say "[B]my[/B]" wife, instead of "the wife". She's very lucky that you're taking her on a Meditteranean cruise, and I'm very jealous that you got to live in Spain!

Having sailed out of Barcelona I can tell you embarkaton is no different that sailing out of Florida to the Caribbean. Our ship departed at 7:00 and we boarded at noon. The advice to check in first is a good one. You can easily get a taxi to take you up to the top of Las Ramblas for some siteseeing or lunch. The wife and you will have a blast.

Peter

Thanks for the input. This is our honeymoon so I am getting used to the "wife" thing. A little off topic, Imsulin, is it considered rude to call her "the" wife? Forgive me, I am new at this. Any other people want to chime in with their opinion? Thanks.

Mike

Hello Mike I like your attitude. Boarding at noon should be correct, however, if you have sailed with that cruise line before you may be able to board the "Ship" [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]earlier.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> is it considered rude to call her "the" wife <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I found that that worked better than "wifey" or "Old ball and chain".

Your mileage may vary!

Thanks for answering my question as well as correcting my improper use of certian words[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] So it looks like the old ball and chain (Nitemare said this was the proper term)[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] and I will try to board the ship around 12 pm. Then, if we have time we will grab a cab and spend some time in the city. Take care.

Mike

Well Mike, I wish you and the wife...er, my wife..no, that can't be...your wife have a pleasant med cruise. Do yourself a huge favor and don't book any of the ship's excursions - it will be like paying double for the cruise. We researched all the ports and primarily took the trains to the destinations we wanted. Saved enough for our next cruise. Bon Voyage.

Peter

MikeMonty - I think that you and your new "ball and chain" are going to have a great time! My husband always called me that, too, and I loved it! He once thought he was going to surprise me with a fancy Anniversary dinner, and the kids rigged up a dog leash chain to a bowling ball and tied it around my leg, and dropped me off at the restaurant. Had to carry that thing into Spago wearing the black slinky and stilettos! Your bride-to-be is very lucky, and you're both going to have a wonderful time!

Peter, thanks for the advice. I agree with you 100%. We plan on doing our own excursions. I am comfortable traveling Europe. I think it is much more fun on your own, having the freedom to explore the city and get lost in the wonders. Not to mentioned the money we save.

Thanks Imsulin! We are starting to get very excited, only 2 weeks away! Her first time to Europe, we are fairly young(25), so this is a dream trip for both of us. Mastercard is going to love me for the next 6 months[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Mike

Archived