Full Steam Ahead - the AMERICAN QUEEN!

eroller

Very nice review, thanks for sharing with us.

I remember quoting a river cruise once after seeing the prices that was the last time I thought of it. For now I am forced to stay with ocean liners, but a steamboat cruise is in my to do list along with a clipper cruise.

Your pictures are amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

We just received our cruise documents today (for our Feb 23 sailing)... We were very pleased as we had read that previous posters didn't get them until a few days before sailing. It looks like they have speeded up the process. The document package is very informative and comes in a nice folder with a few luggage tags too. We have also reserved a couple shore excursions and are really looking forward to this cruise!!

• 2 weeks later...

Sailaway, your cabin attendant will bring you coffee to your room each morning. When they introduce themselves on day one you'll be asked how you like it and at what time. They serve Starbucks and it was wonderful

It is getting close to your cruise. I hope you have a wonderful time, we sure did.

Thank you DebbieMH & nhjoo for the well wishes & that we can have coffee in our room. We're packing this weekend and going a few days early to enjoy New Orleans!!! Can't wait.

Cheers

Thank you DebbieMH & nhjoo for the well wishes & that we can have coffee in our room. We're packing this weekend and going a few days early to enjoy New Orleans!!! Can't wait.

Cheers

We look forward to reading your impressions of the trip - we will be going on the Queen from Memphis to New Orleans in late April. And thanks, njhoo, for the news about the Starbucks!

I remember quoting a river cruise once after seeing the prices that was the last time I thought of it. For now I am forced to stay with ocean liners, but a steamboat cruise is in my to do list along with a clipper cruise.

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the review and pics.

Ernie

• 3 weeks later...
We look forward to reading your impressions of the trip - we will be going on the Queen from Memphis to New Orleans in late April. And thanks, njhoo, for the news about the Starbucks!

We are back from our RT New Orleans sailing February 25. We were very pleased with the service, the food, the steamboat and the included tours. The whole experience was great.

Whatever negatives that were written earlier last year about the service and food was certainly not what we experienced. We had late seating, and our waiters were very attentive. If we wanted an extra appetizer, it was provided with a smile. All of our meals were tasty -- no complaints from us.

We will look forward to booking a future cruise with this company next year.

The only one item which needed attention is that they charged us again for the pre-hotel stay, but quickly removed it from the bill when it was called to their attention that I had paid it ahead of time. We also paid for some of the premium shore excursions before we sailed and those were added to our shipboard account again. They did remove them promptly when this was pointed out. So, do check your hotel bill as well as your ship-board account.

Their premium shore excursions were well-done, with knowledgeable guides. Their bus drivers on the hop-on, hop-off were very helpful and pleasant.

The shows in their theatre were worth-while too. We especially loved visiting the plantations and civil war sites in Vicksburg. The bayou excursion was interesting too.

Tip -- take along your own insulated coffee mug to refill you coffee on the "front porch" or library and carry around the boat or back to your room. They do have the paper cups for your use, but we preferred the mugs.

We really did love this steamboat and the cruise... Please ask if you have any specific questions.

You will love this cruise.

Cheers

What pictures are you referring to? I'd like to see them. We are going on this cruise in late april.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for your reply - I have a specific question. Can you tell what kinds of wine were served with dinner and for tastings?

Thanks! We are going in late April.

They served some various Red (Merlot & Cab) and White (Chardanay & Riesling) on our recent RT New Orleans February cruise. My DH says they were California wines. I can't remember exactly what brands. They served a different red and white every night.

Have a great trip.

We arrived in New Orleans, yesterday, after our fabulous Memphis to New Orleans cruise aboard the American Queen. I wrote blog posts about the cruise, however, I still need to write my wrap-up post about my experience aboard ship, including the food, entertainment, staff, etc. And, I will blog about New Orleans, as well. If you would like to read and see photos I have posted so far, go to: www.ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com . After I return home, I will be posting my photos at: www.ExquisiteCards.Fototime.com

Overall, it was an outstanding experience; I give it an "A" for excellent!

Regarding the question about wine, several different wines were served throughout the week from various wineries. I did not write them down- sorry! But, they were enjoyable wines and they were plentiful, as the server came around often.

There is also a "Welcome Aboard" and "Farewell" reception where tasty complimentary champagne is served.

As for the food, it was awesome! Make sure to attend the Jazz brunch and have the crab cakes benedict. I didn't even take the egg; I pushed it aside for the crab; the best crab cake I had ever eaten!

Other highlights: Cobia (fish), Gumbo, duck, Fig Bread Pudding, chocolate lava cake. And, the fresh baked cookies available 24/7 were addictive!

At the Front Porch, the biscuits and scones were delicious, too!

We arrived in New Orleans, yesterday, after our fabulous Memphis to New Orleans cruise aboard the American Queen. I wrote blog posts about the cruise, however, I still need to write my wrap-up post about my experience aboard ship, including the food, entertainment, staff, etc. And, I will blog about New Orleans, as well. If you would like to read and see photos I have posted so far, go to: www.ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com . After I return home, I will be posting my photos at: www.ExquisiteCards.Fototime.com

Regarding the question about wine, several different wines were served throughout the week from various wineries. I did not write them down- sorry! But, they were enjoyable wines and they were plentiful, as the server came around often.

There is also a "Welcome Aboard" and "Farewell" reception where tasty complimentary champagne is served.

As for the food, it was awesome! Make sure to attend the Jazz brunch and have the crab cakes benedict. I didn't even take the egg; I pushed it aside for the crab; the best crab cake I had ever eaten!

Other highlights: Cobia (fish), Gumbo, duck, Fig Bread Pudding, chocolate lava cake. And, the fresh baked cookies available 24/7 were addictive!

We have really enjoyed reading your blog (I now have it bookmarked!)- it has given us some great ideas about the ports. And your description/pictures of the American Queen have just whetted our appetites for our trip.

Thanks for all your posts.

Craftsoncruise,

Last fall while I was onboard the dining room service was extremely poor. Food and proper service are so important to me, especially when I've paid such high per diems, that I decided to give the company one more try, but that's it! I know it can be done as the old Delta Queen Steamboat Co succeeded.

How was the dining room service during your trip? Also did you notice the noise and vibration of a diesel generator running somewhere near the port side of the J.M.White Dining Room or was that taken care of during winter lay up? You mentioned a champagne reception and farewell event during your trip, but was there a gala Captain's Farewell Dinner with second line and free flowing champers?

Thanks so much.

Elaine -- what a fabulous review & blog with pictures you have written. It just took me right back to our recent cruise on the American Queen last month. You captured everything beautifully. Will look forward to reading your report on New Orleans as we also stayed there a few days. Loved it.

Like you, we enjoyed the whole experience --- wine, food, service, tours, the South. We plan on doinig it again someday.

Thank you for sharing.

We have really enjoyed reading your blog (I now have it bookmarked!)- it has given us some great ideas about the ports. And your description/pictures of the American Queen have just whetted our appetites for our trip.

Thanks for all your posts.

Thank you very much! It's nice to hear my blog was of help to you. I hope you have a fabulous tirp; make sure to let us know all about it!

Elaine -- what a fabulous review & blog with pictures you have written. It just took me right back to our recent cruise on the American Queen last month. You captured everything beautifully. Will look forward to reading your report on New Orleans as we also stayed there a few days. Loved it.

Like you, we enjoyed the whole experience --- wine, food, service, tours, the South. We plan on doinig it again someday.

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, sailaway! I had planned on posting about New Orleans, but I decided I will just post my photos instead at :http://www.ExquisiteCards.Fototime.com , as soon as I get them edited. I do have a lot of photos, so they will just have to speak for themselves this time around! Sorry!!

By the way, it was my second time in New Orleans and I loved it as, well!

My husband has been looking through the brochure I brought home and we are planning an AQ cruise, perhaps next year. He is going to love it!

Craftsoncruise,

Last fall while I was onboard the dining room service was extremely poor. Food and proper service are so important to me, especially when I've paid such high per diems, that I decided to give the company one more try, but that's it! I know it can be done as the old Delta Queen Steamboat Co succeeded.

How was the dining room service during your trip? Also did you notice the noise and vibration of a diesel generator running somewhere near the port side of the J.M.White Dining Room or was that taken care of during winter lay up? You mentioned a champagne reception and farewell event during your trip, but was there a gala Captain's Farewell Dinner with second line and free flowing champers?

Thanks so much.

That was last fall. If you read through all of the AQ reviews on this website, you will see a gradual transformation from mostly poor reviews to almost perfect reviews in 2013!

Everybody I spoke with was completely satisfied with their entire American Queen experience, including the dining room service. Of course, it depends on your waiter/waitress, however, we were pleased with ours, even though he had just been promoted from being an assistant.

(By the way, I was in the food service business from 1980 - 2002, so, I understand what good service is all about. I was the head server/ trainer at a gourmet fine dining private city club, for my last seven years in the business.)

As for the noise, our table was on the starboard side, so I was unaware of any noise or vibration.

The farewell reception was just a reception prior to dinner. And, yes, there was plenty of champagne there.

If you decide to take another cruise aboard the American Queen, I am sure you will be satisfied!

PaigeM,

I´d say it depends on your son! Actually there is no kids or teens program, no video arcade or stuff like that.

But if he´s technically interested he can go down to the engine room, watch the steam engines and talk to the engineers. The Riverlorians do have a great program including a pilot house tour. He can learn a lot about river navigation (day and night) and also about steamboat history.

There is a small pool and gym onboard. I´m not sure whether the table tennis is still on or not.

It also depends on the itinerary. On the Ohio and Upper Mississippi rivers you have to go through a lot of locks which is pretty interesting. Activities in port also depend on the itinerary of course.

steamboats

Elaine,

Thank you for your update on the AQ's service, and the improvement in the dining room. I will be going on her in late July for the third time while under the American Queen Steamboat Co. banner.

Frank

Elaine,

Thank you for your update on the AQ's service, and the improvement in the dining room. I will be going on her in late July for the third time while under the American Queen Steamboat Co. banner.

Frank

You are going to be pleased with the improvements, I am sure! Have a great trip and please report back to us! :D

Archived