Roatan Help?

TN-CruiseGirl

Roatan is a new port for us. We are a family of four (10 & 12 year old kids). We cruise a lot, but will be on Holland America for the first time. We love the beach. I have heard cruise goers say that this port is their favorite, but then a friend of mine disliked it. Any suggestions on how to make this a good port for us?:)

Roatan is a new port for us. We are a family of four (10 & 12 year old kids). We cruise a lot, but will be on Holland America for the first time. We love the beach. I have heard cruise goers say that this port is their favorite, but then a friend of mine disliked it. Any suggestions on how to make this a good port for us?:)

What did your friend dislike?

The port being good or bad is going to be about your family and expectations.

Do a bit of research on West Bay Beach, it is the premiere beach on the island..if nothing in that research appeals to you.. stay on the ship. :)

Only 3 cruises but ranks high as amongst my favorite ports. It is a very lush hilly island with awesome culture.

My wife, 7 year old daughter and I cruised there January 2012.

Had a private guide (20 pp). In a nice clean a/c van we toured the whole day, but Carnival's stop here is short.

What we all did:

Hiked some trails and visited some great vistas.

Visited a local grocery store and bought local coffee from the mainland

Bought some local beer to consume (Port Royal/Sala Vida?)

We ate balleadas and I drank some guifidi

Visited local orphanage for an hour/ daughter played and delivered gifts

Visted local school for daughter to see

Looked at but drve by West End beaches...beautiful but oh so crowded!!!!

Avoided ziplines/atv, we have that kinda thing at home.

Avoided playing with non native monkeys imported for tourists.

Avoided Carnival's man-made beach

Loved there was no Margaritaville/Senor Frogs type place.

Great place.

I would say fo friendly locals, beauty and culture it is great. As far as culture and friendly people, it ranks hgih, along with Belize and Ensenada as our favorite ports to date.

Thank you Askimdog! How did you manage to do so much in that amount of time?

My friend must have gone to the "Carnival Man-Made Beach." She acted like it was the only option at this port. I imagined a Labadee type of beach. She said it was like a private island with no buffet. It made me imagine that Carnival owned ships may be docking at a different spot than other lines. It is nice to know that does not seem to be the case.

My friend must have gone to the "Carnival Man-Made Beach." She acted like it was the only option at this port. I imagined a Labadee type of beach. She said it was like a private island with no buffet. It made me imagine that Carnival owned ships may be docking at a different spot than other lines. It is nice to know that does not seem to be the case.

Goodness no, there are all kinds of options on things to do and see. I am not at all sure where your friend was but even the Carnival excursions offer food. There are several cays, Maya, Fantasy Island come to mind but they both offer food as well. Hard to say where she was.

Coxen Hole is a small town.

Mahogany Bay is a fair sized cruise complex with a beach they made.

If you like, click about the "Roatan Tour" operators web sites, they list all the fun things to do. See what appeals to ya and go from there.

If snorkeling is the goal have a visit to West Bay Beach..yes there are other people about but the beach is worth a look and the reef is steps from the sand.

Enjoy your visit. :)

Always kinda sad when people go to the "cruise line complex" and then come back and report it wasnt much.

Roatan has tons of stuff to do. Even if you just drive around it is pretty nice !

Gumbalimba park. Zip lines, Monkeys and other wildlife. Stupendous beaches and gorgeous turquoise water and amazing reefs right onshore. Hikes. Gorgeous brand new golf course (Black Pearl @ Pristine Bay) Neat little villages (West End Village) with shopping, restaurants, bars and more. If one or both of the kids are girls - get their hair braided with beads. Parasailing, kayaking, mangrove tours........

You need to "look around" - do a google for Roatan and then add any of the above. See what comes up.

We are headed back for our third visit. First was cruise stop, second was a week stay at Infinity Bay. We are taking our grown kids back for Christmas week and plan to dive dive dive !!!!!!!

Thank you Askimdog! How did you manage to do so much in that amount of time?

This is probably why your friend didn't like Roatan. Yes, Carnival owned ships all dock at Mahogany Bay which is a man-made port area. On this island, I can't even imagine why anyone would stay at Mahogany Bay. Roatan is such a beautiful island and not as developed as some of the other Caribbean ports. To me, this is the charm of Roatan. In no way do you have to stay in Mahogany Bay if you are cruising a Carnival owned ship. I do not understand why anyone would stay at Mahogany Bay while in Roatan.:eek::eek::eek:

Definitely, get out and about and see this beautiful island. Not sure what you like to do but if you post some things you have in mind perhaps we can all post some suggestions back to you. We toured with Victor Bodden's tour company and had Tex as our tour guide. It was an amazing, amazing, amazing day. Unlike any tour I've done in that it was so personal. I can't imagine ever having a tour like this again.

We were there last week. We got off the ship early and paid a cab to take us around to some gift shops. He waited on us each stop and it cost $20 total. We had a 4, 7 and 15 year old with us.

Then we went back to the ship to change for Maya Key (excursion). Unfortunately it started to rain and it didn't end. We took a short boat ride there, ate some lunch, prayed for sun and then went back to the ship. It is too bad because it looked like a great place. I would definitely try it again if we ever went back. It had a restaurant, pool, beach, VERY CLEAN bathrooms, small animal reserve (for injured animals). I think you could even pay a little extra and swim with sting rays or sharks.

Archived