Chacchoben after Lamanai

Schmurg

Hi all. I am leaving in a few weeks for my 2nd western Caribbean cruise. My wife and I currently have an excursion booked to see Lamanai in Belize. I have also been to Tulum.

Currently we are booked with Native Choice for the Chacchoben Extreme tour. I am having 2nd thoughts wondering if going to Chacchoben is the right choice and if either of the other two sites might be better.

Will we find it 'blah' after being to Lamanai the previous day? Does Tulum make it pale in comparison.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Yes!

Chacchoben is a minor site that is popular because it is so close to the port.

Strongly recommend that you visit the other 2 inland sites. They are two of the best on the east coast. The are close to each other and and located in heavy tropical forest environment.

We used Native Choice.

Last December my wife and I were on Mariner of the Seas round trip from Galveston, TX.

We took the ship sponsored excursion to the Lamanai Mayan Ruins. It was great! It was out in the jungle so it seemed more like an adventure than seeing Chichen Itza or Uxmal which seems so "touristy." The masks on the ruins make it a very worthwhile excursion.

If you're interested, you might like to take a look at my wife's pictures. She posted highlights of our excursion which includes some pictures of the boat ride to the ruins and the wildlife we saw. There was a huge crocodile (or maybe it was an lligator) basking in the sun along the river bank. She got a great shot of it which is included in the slide show.

The link below will take you there. It's a slide show which plays by itself but you can also click through it if you prefer.

http://nancysoasis.com/belize/belize.html

We haven't seen Tulum yet, but hope to on our next cruise.

Happy Sailing!

Thank you Nola, Warmer and Jim.

Jim, saw your pictures the other day when searching the forum and have to say was impressed with your wife's photo skills. Also got me excited for the excursion. This is the one on the trip I told my wife we have to do. The rest I can take or leave

Schmurg

I'll tell my wife that you liked her pictures. Your compliment will mean a lot to her.

Happy Sailing!

Please thank her for us too. We greatly appreciate the work of putting together the slide show and comments for others to view and enjoy.

It has been added to my bucket list, will try to visit next spring.

Thanks

Here is where we went:

The Dzibanche and Kinichna Maya Ruins ruins located in the Savannah of the Quintana Roo. These less visited Maya Temples offer spectacular structures and perhaps some of the most beautiful masonry work in the region. The impressive Temples are enveloped in tropical forest and will enable your group to have a Maya City all to yourselves! We are not the only explorers to visit the Dzibanche and Kinichna sites, but on every single visit our excursion organizers are the only people visiting the site 95% of the time.

Boasting four of the most beautifully reconstructed pyramids of the region, the Dzibanche and Kinichna are an extensive 40sqkilometer City build during the Classic Period (400-800 A.D.).

Archived