Skagway Yukon Tour

eh0101

Can anyone reccomend a tour from Skagway that travel to the Yukon? Ideally we would like one that travels by both bus & train and visits Emerald Lake.

I looked into a 7.5 hour tour with Chilikoot Tours, but as we are on the Radience we cannot take that. There only other option is a 3.5 hour tour, but I am not sure of this will be rushed? Can anyone share their experience?

It is just my DH and I traveling so I think a private charter would be too expensive.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Can anyone reccomend a tour from Skagway that travel to the Yukon? Ideally we would like one that travels by both bus & train and visits Emerald Lake.

I looked into a 7.5 hour tour with Chilikoot Tours, but as we are on the Radience we cannot take that. There only other option is a 3.5 hour tour, but I am not sure of this will be rushed? Can anyone share their experience?

It is just my DH and I traveling so I think a private charter would be too expensive.

Why can't you take it being on the Radiance ?

Since the Radiance is doing one ways in 2013 the day and time in port changes between NB and SB - going North they stop on a Wed from 7-4:30, SB they arrive on a Monday and are there until 8:30 PM.

Even on the Northbound trip the Chilkoot excursion returns by 3:00 PM which gives you an extra hour of cushion.

On the SB trip you are there for Steam Monday where the RR runs a RT steam train from Skagway to Fraser - 3-4 hrs.

I took the Chilkoot 9hr Train to Carcross (via Bennett) and bus return and had a great time. The 7.5Hr tour is Train between Skagway and Fraser and bus to Carcross. Emerald Lake is about 5 min out of Carcross and takes a few minutes to snap some photos.

Another tour operator is Dyea Dave who also operates the same size mini buses - Dave will drop off/pick up at Fraser - but you have to arrange your own train tickets. Chilkoot handles it all for you. Dave also does not provide lunch - but does stop at some yummmy sounding places.

We are on a NB cruise and according to Chilikoot tours the Radience departs Skagway to early to take any of their 7.5 hr tours. Has any one done the 3.5 hour tour to the Yukon? What did you think?

Don't think the 3.5 hour tour gets to the Yukon - there just isn't enough time. Think that would be the train to Fraser, British Columbia and a van back down. I've done that (not with Chilkoot, altho I've also done the longer tour to the Yukon with Chilkoot) and the shorter one is good, just not as good.

We are on a NB cruise and according to Chilikoot tours the Radience departs Skagway to early to take any of their 7.5 hr tours. Has any one done the 3.5 hour tour to the Yukon? What did you think?

The 3.5 hr tour would just get you to the summit and back by train. I would check to see what the ship tour is .

Your other option is to rent a car and drive to the Yukon yourself. Then you are on your own time schedule and see the things you want to see. Unfortunately it would mean skipping the train.

Getting to Emerald Lake and returning to Skagway in the time available to pretty dicey. Emerald Lake is about three hours from Skagway (6 hr round trip) . That doesn't leave much time to visit Carcross , Cracross Desert and other points of interest.

We are on a NB on the Radiance and will be in port from 7-430. Chilkoot tour is 730-3pm. Did Chilkoot say that there was not enough time if you are on the Radiance? We figured we would be fine if we booked this excursion through Chilkoot.

Anyone have any personal experience with this?

There are lots of variables to the van ride back - including traffic and weather. On any given Wed there are three other ships in town - two NCL and one Princess so there are lots of large tour buses on the road with ship excursions - Chilkoot and the others with the smaller vans and busess try to avoid the big guys by trying to go where they are not. But they are not always successful and you can end up at an attraction at the same time as two or three of these large buses. Or worse yet, being trapped behind one on the road :). If you are lucky you might get held up by wildlife on or near the road - we had a bear on my trip. All of the independent tour operators face the same problem - they must get you back to the ship on time - a 4:30 sail time means that you must be back by 4:00 so your hour window is now down to 1/2 hr - which is way too tight given the variables.

Driving yourself you also face the same problems - including the vans from Chilkoot and Dyea Dave :D. It is about 65 mi from Skagway to Carcross and another 5 mi or so to Emerald Lake.

I would suggest that at least on this trip you forgo trying to see Emerald Lake and stick with something closer to town. Perhaps the train to Fraser with bus return - you still can get your photo at the entering Alaska sign, see international falls, and other sights on the way back to town.

FYI the Radiance usually docks on the far end of the Railroad dock and therefore is the farthest ship from downtown - so be prepared for a hike if you decide to get dropped off in town on the return. On a similar note if you plan on doing any shopping have the van driver drop you in town - that way you only have to walk one direction.

I used to live in Whitehorse, Yukon and we would take day trips to Skagway quite often. It usually took us about 2.5 hours to drive one way from Whithorse to Skagway. If I recall correctly, Emerald lake is about half way or so - maybe 1.5 hours from Skagway. It can easily be done with a rental car. If you go, keep in mind that you will have to go through customs and Yukon time is 1 hour later. Emerald lake is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen. The train ride is nice too, but I think the scenery is nicer on the drive. JMO though.

• 2 months later...

Take a look at frontierexcursions dot com They have a 6 hour yukon trip that goes to emerld lake

We rented a car last summer, thru Avis and had a great time. We got in line at 7:30 got our car at 8:15 (they open at 8A), headed out. We went to Emerald Lake stopped at Carcross and made it back by 3. We stopped where we wanted and had no issues at all. I am sure we did not see everything there was to see because we kept on driving but our goal was Emerald Lake and we achieved that. There were three if us so it was the cheapest way to go. But the scenery was Awesome, saw a few black bears along the road and stopped to watch. We took some munchies with us so we did not stop for lunch. :)

If you do the car rental, be sure to pick up a copy of Muuray's guide to the Klondike highway. It points out all the POI on the way to Emerald Lake. That aw you can go at your own pace. Murray's guide can be found on line.

Archived