Ocean Nova Air Cruise

dileep

Has anyone been on this cruise?

http://www.adventure-life.com/cruises/ships/ocean-nova-air-cruises-199/#deckplan

Ocean Nova Air Cruises

• Ship Highlights
  • Passengers : 68

Jumping over Cape Horn and the mythical waters of the Drake Passage and in less than 2 hours of flying from Punta Arenas to King George Island, the largest Island of the South Shetland Archipielago, you will be at the gates of the white continent.

The Ocean Nova (previously called Sarpik Ittuk) was built in 1992 at the Ørskov Shipyard in Frederikshavn, Denmark, to navigate the ice-choked waters off Western Greenland. The ship was upgraded in 2000 and significantly refurbished once again in 2006 to include a glass-enclosed forward observation lounge on the top deck – and to offer travelers an even more comfortable retreat after days of exploring ashore. Carrying up to 68 passengers and classified to operate in ice-filled waters, the 73-meter vessel is guided by Danish officers with deep experience in polar navigation. With outside cabins only (all with private facilities) and a spacious dining room, the Ocean Nova is a perfect expedition ship for discovering Antarctica.

The Ocean Nova offers unreserved seating, buffet-style breakfast with table service, table-service lunch and dinner with main course choices from a changing daily menu, and afternoon cakes. The lounge and bar are open all day with a wide selection of wines and spirits. The Ocean Nova also features a library with a collection of polar-themed books, exercise room, and a clinic with a licensed doctor.

New for the 2012 season is an onboard gym. Built in a space carved out of the aft lounge, this new gym features big, bright windows and a selection of modern exercise equipment including a cross trainer, two bikes, a small rowing machine, an exercise ball, two stretching mats, and a workout bench with weights.

Cabins and Amenities

* 37 outside cabins, all featuring private facilities.

* Spacious dining room with unreserved seating: buffet-style breakfast with table service; table-service lunch and dinner with main course choices from a changing daily menu; cakes served in mid-afternoon.

* Glass-enclosed observation lounge and presentation room.

* Lounge and bar, open late morning, afternoon and evening with a wide selection of wines and spirits; coffee, tea available all day.

* Library with collection of polar-themed books.

* Ship-to-shore communications via satellite.

* Clinic with licensed doctor.

* Exercise room.

* Dedicated single cabins.

* Please note: there is no passenger elevator between decks.

Ship Specifications

Staff & Crew: 38

Passengers: 62

Length: 73.0 m

Breadth: 11.0 m

Draft: 3.7 m

Propulsion: Diesel engines – 2,000-horsepower

Ice Class: 1B, EO (Hull Ice 1A)

Cruising Speed: 12 knots in open water

Dileep,

I spent two days in PA and I think I took a day trip to an Island [name?] with a lot of penguins. I enjoyed the boat ride out. Got on the tour at the last minute and had booked it with a local agency in PA. We had previosly gone to the Penguin Rookery Atway? via a van on a previous trip.

We could not get out of King George island on our return because of 15 cm ice on the field. They send the hercules in first to check the runway and if it goes OK, then the BA 146 flies in.

The insurance came in handy for rebooking which the ship guides took care of. While we spent an extra night on board the guides got together and got us a tour of King Sejong Korean scientific base to pass the time. Very nice visit.

What is nice about flying is that if the weather is not good you know ahead of time. If you are on the Drake and unexpected weather comes up you are in the Rake. Sometimes they do have to turn around and spend an extra day.

So two days on the drake going and two days back. When you fly you save four days that can be better spent in Antarctica.

We did not make it to the Antarctic Circle.

We visited Seno Otway in 2006 and it was very windy. I think the island is Magdalena. We get to PA in mid afternoon and will overnight before taking off the next day. On the return, we will not have much time to do much in PA other than lunch at Sotitos!

We hope the weather cooperates during the second week of December.

The Ocean Nova looks a little bigger than the Professor Multanovskiy. I hope they let you get to the bow when the Orcas come around. I was within 20 feet from one when he blew and scared me. I think he told his buddy, "Watch me scare this tourist" The Multanovskiy also had an open bridge policy.

One can get some rough weather quickly, so be careful if they say the ship will move. They mean a rocky run. One person was thrown out of a chair and another thrown against a railing on the bridge and broke some ribs. I was in the bunk cross beam and as the ship rolled I would slide to one end and then back to the other end. If I woud have been in the longitudinal axis I would have been thrown out of the bunk. A scopace tablet got me through the night. Stuff was flying off the table, but I just let it go. My razor was in the cabinet, but got thrown around so much it turned itself on and ran until the battery ran out. I learned to bring a charger for the razor on this trip. I got home looking like I had been to Antarctica.

• 2 weeks later...
Less than 48 hours before our flight from Seattle!

How long a ride is that going to be? WoW! Makes no difference it is going to be worth it. Have some gel inserts for your boots. If you have a waterproof camera bag, bring it otherwise when in the zodiac just put the camera under your jacket and don't fall out of the boat. Only if you have a rough ride and hit some waves head on will there be a big splash into the zodiac. Of course the sit down place will be wet, so be sure to have water proof pants. My best thing was the bottom of a rain suit with suspenders to hold them up.

Of course you have been already and don't need all this advice, but I just like to be part of your wonderful trip.

With 3 plane changes - SEA-SFO-Lima-Santiago-Punta Arenas it will be just over 24 hours!

We are all packed up at 105 lbs just over our 88 lb limit. May have to leave some stuff in Punta Arenas, but we are fine. Know exactly what we need!

I am sitting here at the Holiday Inn Santiago Airport waiting the long lay over from 4 am to 10 pm.

We had and absolutely fantastic cruise with our share of trauma and excitement. We are a day late returning, but that is part of a long story for later!

The ship, the staff, the sites they picked, and food were all great. This was a more exciting Antarctica experience than our last cruise in 2010.

We had fabulous weather for 4 days!

Will post a detailed review when I have more time. Highly recommend this cruise as long as you can deal with delays and uncertainty.

We arrived in Punta Arenas on Dec 7 after a 24 hour 3 stop flight from Seattle. At the 5 pm briefing we were informed that the pervious week´s cruise had to be cancelled due to bad landing condition on King George Island, and that there was a good chance that we would not fly out on Dec 8 either.

Sure enough, we got a half day Punta Arenas tour followed by a nice lunch at a hotel by the sea. Then the contingency plan went into play - a 3 hour ride to Rio Gallegos and a possible flight in the Argentine Air Force C-130 (Hercules) if the weather cleared. After a 2 hour wait for immigration at the border, we checked into a hotel 5 hours after we left Punta Arenas. No flight that night!

Then things got very exciting the next morning (Dec 9). Boarded the Hercules for a incredible experience (will post photos or videos) and land on King George Island just past noon. Antarctica XXI were very efficient. After the safety drills we set off for Half Moon Island to see Gentoo penguins!

All in all an unusual start! The exciting adventure had just begun!

there seem to be more weather related issues with the airplane landing on King George Island in late Nov and early Dec. Try to be late Dec or January cruise.

We planned on one extra day in Punta Arenas at the end to allow for flight delay from the island, but that was not enough. we missed afternoon flight by 3 haour. In hindsight, we should have booked 2 nights in Punta Arenas post cruise. The extra night i much cheaper that airline penalties!

Travel insurance is a must. we had it! That might cover the day room in Santiago that was needed during the unplanned 18 hour lay over.

Our original was:

Day 1: Fly into Frei Base

Days 2-5: Cruise Antarctica

Day 6: fly back to Punta Arenas

We were a day late flying in and so we had only 3 full days. But when we sailed into King George Island at 7 am on our Day 5, it was very cloudy and foggy. The BAE 146 cannot land in these conditions. We were told at breakfast that we would most likely spend one more night on the ship and have an excursion to Ardley Island in the same bay in the morning and a visit to the Russian and Chilean stations in the afternoon!

We flew back to Punta Arenas late afternoon on Day 6 and missed our flights home. We had to rebooked for the next day!

P1010056map.jpg

Archived