Are you just back from a stop at Pointe-a-pitre, Guadeloupe

ISellCakesforCruises

We just got back from a stop in Guadeloupe. Brilliance on 11/10. Just off the ship there were dancers to greet us and handing out free shirts. The vendors in the dock area were super friendly and helpful. We rented a car from an agency at the airport. Drove to the other side of the island to explore. Ended up stopping at a beautiful black sand beach in a small local town. On the way back to the ship stopped in a local bakery for the most delicious bread and they were super friendly even to us americans who didn't speak french.

Taxi drivers were nice just not much conservation going on.

I would love to stop back there again and explore more.

We were on Brilliance 11/17 stopping in Guadeloupe. We went to St Anne for the day. I speak a little bit of french and highly recommend that you speak some if you plan to venture out on your own. They don't speak much - if any - english and most folks we encountered there didn't seem inclined to try to communicate with us. Most of our time was spent at the beach in St Anne which is beautiful and we had a nice lunch though it was challenging to order the food in french and wonder what was going to show up! There were 10 in our group and we had an incident with a group of gang members (all in red & white) that picked the Ray Bans right off my brothers head and refused to return them. We only got them back when my other brothers approached and the waiter from the restaurant where we ate said something to them. If we do go back there on a cruise it's likely to be a "ship" day for us - not worth the 25 minute cab ride each way and too unsettling to deal with any type of gang, even if it did turn out ok. As you depart the ship there is a small market set up with spices and souvenirs and this seemed very friendly and safe - that's about my limit next time.

We just got back from a stop in Guadeloupe. Brilliance on 11/10. Just off the ship there were dancers to greet us and handing out free shirts. The vendors in the dock area were super friendly and helpful. We rented a car from an agency at the airport. Drove to the other side of the island to explore. Ended up stopping at a beautiful black sand beach in a small local town. On the way back to the ship stopped in a local bakery for the most delicious bread and they were super friendly even to us americans who didn't speak french.

What agency did you rent from at PTP airport? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We didn't reserve a taxi, they were at the port and we found a way to communicate.Worked well. In our group of 4 none of us spoke french.

We rented from Avis, paid in advance. To return to the port, Avis had a shuttle to the airport terminal and again just grabbed a taxi. Sorry I don't remember how much the taxis were. They drive like we do here in the states, so that was easy. Signs were easy to read. The drive back was great going through small sea side towns. Missed the exit on the way back to the airport but found it easily anyways. We did get stuck in some traffic and the way back to the airport about 3 pm (local time).

We did go to the mountainous side, where the volcano is. That was our original destination, but it takes to long to hike it and it was pouring rain on the mountain.

We had a nice time.

Tony,

How much was the car rental. Would the car hold 5 adults? Traveling with Wife and three grown boys. 17, 22, 24 all of them 6'2" or taller. Like to hit the beach for the day and I would like to find time to run.

Did you make the car reservation ahead of time?

On the Brilliance of the Sea arriving there on December 26.

Thanks,

Just return from Guadeloupe. We were sitting at the dinner table with a couple that live in Guadeloupe, they were so nice that they arrange a day trip with a taxi driver, a friend of their.

They called him, made the arrangement, he was waiting for us. We did a tour of basse terre and a bit of haute terre. It was beautiful, vegetation was great. We did stop by St Anne beach for 1 hour, it was a beautiful, very calm beach. We did feel very safe, a lot of little restaurant that seem very good.

The market just off the ship was very nice, thoug a bit expensive. We would love to go back for a longer stay

Hope this is helpful, have a great stay:cool:

Tony,

How much was the car rental. Would the car hold 5 adults? Traveling with Wife and three grown boys. 17, 22, 24 all of them 6'2" or taller. Like to hit the beach for the day and I would like to find time to run.

Did you make the car reservation ahead of time?

On the Brilliance of the Sea arriving there on December 26.

Thanks,

Sorry, the car we rented would not fit all of your boys. It was a subcompact. It fit the 4 adults in our group but my hubby is the tallest at 6'. The car rental was $40 US. I did make the reservation online and prepaid. You could see about renting a big car.

Have fun! Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

We found the exploration desk staff on board to be extremely helpful in deciding on a tour on Guadeloupe. We took the discover Guadeloupe tour through the ship. Although not particularly exciting, we did enjoy getting to see some of the island. The botanical gardens were very nice and well maintained. The best part was the visit to the rum distillery. You can taste all the different rums for free. The chocolate, orange, and passion fruit rums were very good. The guide spoke very good English and was very informative. We heard a lot of people saying St. Anne beach was very pretty and clean, although the taxi fare was very expensive and the language barrier made it difficult to negotiate a fare and pick up time for returning to the ship.

We would also recommend you sign up early in the week for ship sponsored shore excursions. We were wait listed for the first time ever and had to wait for a cancellation the morning of the tour.

Also, some of the duty free shops did not have American coins to make change so bring some coins and dollar bills. They do accept credit cards.

We were looking at the 2 all day tours; Panoramic Tour or the Classic Basse Terre Full day tours. Did you here from anyone on these tours? The first one visits the cemetery, Hell's Door, Souffleur Beach and sunset at Casties Pt. The second goes to the rum factory, a Banana Plantation and a Botanical Gardens.. I believe you booked the 1/2 day tour, Discover Guadeloupe which looks like a condensed form of the all day tour Classic Basse Terre. Can't figure out if the extra time and lunch is worth the 80 plus dollars more for the all day tour. What do you think and did you here from anyone who booked the all day tours? Thanks for your time and information.

Just return from Guadeloupe. We were sitting at the dinner table with a couple that live in Guadeloupe, they were so nice that they arrange a day trip with a taxi driver, a friend of their.

They called him, made the arrangement, he was waiting for us. We did a tour of basse terre and a bit of haute terre. It was beautiful, vegetation was great. We did stop by St Anne beach for 1 hour, it was a beautiful, very calm beach. We did feel very safe, a lot of little restaurant that seem very good.

The market just off the ship was very nice, thoug a bit expensive. We would love to go back for a longer stay

Hope this is helpful, have a great stay:cool:

Does this person do tours all the time or was it just a special thing he did for you? I have a group of 8 plus a toddler. I am having a difficult time finding something I feel safe with. If he is willing and could accomodate that many, I would love to get in contact with him.

I will let you decide if $80 to see a banana plantation and lunch is worth it. You would be eating lunch in a nondescript open air building where all the tour groups walk through to get the fruit punch they serve (free). Personally, the Discover Guadeloupe tour was perfect for us. We boarded the bus around 9ish and was back on the ship shortly after 2pm.

We seen the "smallish" crayfish falls - got a few good photos. The botanical gardens are some of the best we have seen in the Caribbean. Not a lot of flowers; but, plenty of greenery, exotic plants, and a koi fish pond.

The sugarcane fields/grounds at the rum distillery are very nice as well. We brought a bottle of the rum home as a souvenir.

We were told gas is $7.60/Liter US and that the island was "cost-prohibitive" for most Americans to visit.

To answer your other question: Only 4 people signed up for Panoramic Tour; So, I do not know if they cancelled the tour due to a minimum # of people requirement.

Whatever tour you decide on, remember to take a rainjacket/umbrella with you. Even if it is sunny in port, you will probably get some rain in the park/gardens area of the island (mountainous).

Happy cruising - Do keep in mind that the ship is due to be refurbished and some areas definitely need a little TLC (balconies in particular).

Wow, you really helped me, thanks so much. I had a good chuckle. My Dh is a bar manager and not much of a drinker. Do they offer soda or water on the tour you went on? Just wondering if we should bring drinks.

We also visted in November rented a car from Hertz before we left the UK we were collected at the port and driven a short distance to the car rental office near the bus stat and ferry port. Although it rained very heavy on the day we were there we still had a great time and in between the showers visted several beaches.

Once you leave PTP Guadeloupe is very beautiful I did post a few pictures on a previous thread.

Driving is very easy the roads are very well maintained we headed to the north end of Basse Terre which I prefer as its a lot quieter than other areas.

• 2 weeks later...

OC Pat:

No drinks were provided except a small cup of fruit punch at the botanical gardens and the free rum samples on the Discover Guadeloupe tour.

Also, the cold soups served onboard the ship were delicious. I particularly liked the chilled strawberry and the banana rum flavored soups.

Archived