Cruise Help Advice Needed

momofcandj

Okay we, hubby & I, went on our first cruise almost 5 years ago without the kids & had fun. The kids stayed with hubby's parents & had fun. This time though we want to go as a family. It looks like my parents may be joining us. Right now we are thinking Alaska on Carnival either this summer or next. We were thinking we need a balcony room... we do want one cabin for the 4 of us and one for the 2 of them. Not sure if we should book across the hall so we can go between rooms for the best views or side by side. Also do any balconies have connecting rooms, that would be nice too.

If we go this summer the kids will be 12 and 14 so they will be in the same club onboard, but if we wait til next year they will be 13 and 15... anyway they would let my 15 yr old hang with the younger kids, he is not very mature so it would be ideal unless he suddenly ages about 3 years in the next year or so.... lol. I think they would be more comfortable together, they are pretty quiet & shy and they do not easily make friends.

Any general advice on cruising with the kids or the parents? Oh do they have any kind of on board radio thing so we can be in touch with the kids? Otherwise we would have to say be at X place and Y time for check ins. If they dont have something is there something we could buy and bring with us? Im sure it would come in handy at other times, we really do not want to use the cell phones if we can help it on the ship.

Thanks

The kid clubs stick to ages pretty strictly, so they likely won't let your DS be in the club for younger kids with his sister.

If you get 2 balconies...one on each side of the ship...you will have to go down a hall and over and around as there will be inside cabins in between. You may want to be near elevators where you can go across more easily. There are connecting balconies too but not many and maybe not many with a 4 person and a 2 person combo. You should check out the deckplans. There are easy deckplans to look at on vacations to go dot com website.

Edited to add: there are no on board radios on Carnival...just get some walky talkies and sticky notes (to leave on doors).

Okay we, hubby & I, went on our first cruise almost 5 years ago without the kids & had fun. The kids stayed with hubby's parents & had fun. This time though we want to go as a family. It looks like my parents may be joining us. Right now we are thinking Alaska on Carnival either this summer or next. We were thinking we need a balcony room... we do want one cabin for the 4 of us and one for the 2 of them. Not sure if we should book across the hall so we can go between rooms for the best views or side by side. Also do any balconies have connecting rooms, that would be nice too.

I'm a little confused by your request, but I'll do my best to answer. Balcony cabins are along both sides of the ship (port/left and starboard/right). Directly across the hall from most Balcony cabins are interior cabins with no veiw at all.

If you are wanting your family and inlaws to both have a balcony then side by side would be best. A cheaper option "might" be to get side by side balcony cabins for you and the inlaws, with a cheaper interior cabin directly across the hall (you would just have to check the 3rd and 4th person rates)

There are a few balcony cabins that connect to an interior cabin that is actually located on the exterior side of the ship. Just look at the deck plans they can usually be found toward the very front of the ship, where balconies end and interiors begin.

Most balconies can have the divider open between them so you and the inlaws could have an extra wide balcony to enjoy.

If we go this summer the kids will be 12 and 14 so they will be in the same club onboard, but if we wait til next year they will be 13 and 15... anyway they would let my 15 yr old hang with the younger kids, he is not very mature so it would be ideal unless he suddenly ages about 3 years in the next year or so.... lol. I think they would be more comfortable together, they are pretty quiet & shy and they do not easily make friends.

There is not "for certain" answer here. It is evaluated on a case by case basis while on the ship and can't be arranged in advance. I have heard the the rules between those two age groups are enforced more strictly, due to the more mature life experiences of the 15 to 17 age group, and they wouldn't want anyone going up or down a level. But certainly ask, Most of the kids in the Club02 age bracket spend more time independently out and about on the ship.........Most parents are very comfortable with this, and on almost all of my 27 Carnival cruises I've seen that age group (and even a bit younger) being very well behaved but not directly supervised.

Any general advice on cruising with the kids or the parents? Oh do they have any kind of on board radio thing so we can be in touch with the kids? Otherwise we would have to say be at X place and Y time for check ins. If they dont have something is there something we could buy and bring with us? Im sure it would come in handy at other times, we really do not want to use the cell phones if we can help it on the ship.

Thanks

There is a family cruising board that you should visit and I'm sure most of your questions or concerns can be answered. They do rent walkie talkies, but I've heard they don't work very will....

Absolutely do not use cell phones on the ship. Any time you are out away from a port you will be on cellular at sea which most carriers charge $2.49 per minute (ATT, Verizon, T-Mobile). Your unlimited plan has no value unless you are in San Juan or St. Thomas....Texts are generally .50 each........be sure and either turn your smart phone off or keep it in airplane mode to avoid data charges that can easily reach hundreds into thousands of dollars.

Given your kids' ages, I doubt they can move up or down in age groups. However, there is nothing to say either of them has to participate. This is a way for them to meet other kids on the ship. They can choose to participate or not, and if they are close, your kids may just want to hang out with each other and their family.

Almost any combination of rooms could work for your family. We have done three to a room and it works out well. But if you decide to have four in a room, the bathroom could pose some logistical issues. We have found the showers in the spa area to be a great way to allow all of us to get ready at the same time.

Good luck deciding.

Archived