Waitangi Day - Auckland??

bazzaw

Just realized it will be Waitangi Day in Auckland when we are there on VOS. Last time we were in NZ it was Waitangi Day in NZ - and everybody seemed to be in fancy dress (especially the young ones)

Just wondering what happens in Auckland on this day that would be interesting/enjoyable from the point of view of older Aussie tourists (eg not necessarily family oriented things). I think we would enjoy historical/cultural activities better :o

Barry

Just realized it will be Waitangi Day in Auckland when we are there on VOS. Last time we were in NZ it was Waitangi Day in NZ - and everybody seemed to be in fancy dress (especially the young ones)

Just wondering what happens in Auckland on this day that would be interesting/enjoyable from the point of view of older Aussie tourists (eg not necessarily family oriented things). I think we would enjoy historical/cultural activities better :o

Barry

Now as an American you have to tell me what Waitangi Day is???? :(

Now as an American you have to tell me what Waitangi Day is???? :(

Hi Waitangi Day celebrates the signing of the treaty between the maoris and the english in 1740. It gave the Maori population the protection of Queen Victoria and the english and stopped New Zealand being invaded by the other colony seeking nations...france, holland, etc.

Its unique in that most countries were invaded by the english (and others) and the native populations were subjugated, australia, india, etc where as here the english offered an equal partnership and theoretically didnt invade.

for the celebration of such....Think 4th of july...without the fanfare......

Barry

Just watch out for the spears flying, Barry old son. LOL. The Kiwi Natives get excited doing the Haka.

Just watch out for the spears flying, Barry old son. LOL. The Kiwi Natives get excited doing the Haka.

Les

Those BIG Maoris don't frighten me!! I come from a long line of Sinclairs!!

Barry

Archived