What is your favourite cheese?

altiva

I never knew that you could buy and import a whole wheel of cheese.

How did they manage to bring it back home? Cheese is food, and there

are strict regulations on what food you can bring or not. And, it

would be classified as "perishable".

The cheese sealed in wax is permitted to bring back, and it lasts just fine for the cruise. We got one of the large wheels from Curacao and we got smaller wheels in varied flavors in Aruba. There is a cheese shop in Aruba everyone goes to, but I went to a market off the beaten path and just picked it from the standard deli section. It was all very good and I was glad I brought it home!

Most Favorites:

Maytag Blue

Gorganzola

Parmigiano Regianno

I also actually like Montery Jack...I shred it on top of my delicious chicken tortilla soup :)

Least Favorites:

Velveeta

Cheeze Whiz LOL!!!

I don't like most Swiss cheeses

Along the lines of the inmate named "Velveeta", I'm a R.N. and we had a prison inmate give birth at our hospital and she named her newborn girl "Febreeze". No joke. The state showed up the next day to take custody of the child, but not because of her name.

The cheese sealed in wax is permitted to bring back, and it lasts just fine for the cruise. We got one of the large wheels from Curacao and we got smaller wheels in varied flavors in Aruba. There is a cheese shop in Aruba everyone goes to, but I went to a market off the beaten path and just picked it from the standard deli section. It was all very good and I was glad I brought it home!

Thank you for explanation, murfturf. I hope the cheese was tasty.

• 3 weeks later...

So many choices -

Love:

Really good Parmigiano Reggiano - the kind with the crunchy bits throughout and wonderful nutty flavor!

Gruyere - 'specially on top of French Onion Soup!

Baby Swiss

Gouda

Oh Wow - I could keep going.

I have recently had a couple of salads where I have to admit the gorganzola crumbles actually added to the over all taste of the salad.

Can't even imagine why someone would put limberger in their mouth!

I have to admit the 5 yr old in still loves a grilled cheese on processed white bread with Velveeta and a bowl of tomato soup with elbow macaroni's! Pure Comfort Food!

Favorite is Brie. I haven't met many cheeses I don't love. Simple yet yummy is the Dark Chocolate Cheddar from Trader Joe's (I've only been able to find it once a year).

And thank you for telling me about Casu Marzu. I'll pass.

Pleasant Ridge Reserve from Wisconsin is an artisan Gruyere style cheese that is fantastic. It has won many awards and some consider it the best cheese made in the US. Very complex flavors and has some of the crystalline mouth feel of a great Parmo. Yum yum with a good Pinot Noir and a shaving of Proscuitto.

• 3 weeks later...
Manchego for sure. But then again, I love all things Spanish!

I just discovered Manchego a couple of weeks ago, thanks to a good friend. OMG it's heaven. With grapes, dried figs, roasted almonds, wine, or all by itself.

I have never liked cheddar, until I tried Tillamook Vintage White cheddar. DH loves cheddar and now he's so spoiled by this one he doesn't want to eat any other kind. I tasted it and finally "get" cheddar!

I love almost all Swiss cheese.

Hate those cheese slices that taste and feel the same with or without the plastic wrapper.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you for explanation, murfturf. I hope the cheese was tasty.

I brought back 6 of the 1/4 wheels from Curacao:eek: They were vacuum packed. The reason that you can bring them back is because they are made from pasturized milk or aged longer than 90 days if made from fresh milk. I brought them right off the ship on my carry on and claimed them on my customs. No questions asked.

My favourites would be-

Roaring 40's Blue cheese

Blue d'Auvernagne

Drunken Goat cheese

Humboldt Fog(really anything made by Cypress)

Sage Derby

Freshly made Mozzarella

Bufalo d' Mozzarella(water buffalo mozzarella from italy)

Least favourites are mass produced american "cheeses" ie. Kraft or the stuff that they call Muenster but taste nothing like the real thing(although you have to catch me on the right day for me to eat real Munster as it is stinky).

One of the best cheeses I have ever tasted was a Smoked Cheddar from Tasmania. Have tried to find this in stores around here and all I get are quizzical looks from the chesse "experts" and questions like "why would you want that"?

I do enjoy Swiss Cheese and Jarlsburg.

• 4 weeks later...

Muenster.

Brie, with only a little of the rind on it for a whisper of ammoniac "bite".

Smoked Gouda.

Feta, eaten with black oil-cured olives, warm fresh pita or italian bread, sliced red onions.

Hirten, a subtle nutty/caramel-y alpine German cheese from near Switzerland. I actually found a quarter-round of this at my discount grocery store for an incredibly cheap price!

Boursin herbed cream cheese

Port Salut, semisoft French cheese which I first tried In Aix-en-Provence on my High-school French Club Field trip to France in 1975

Smoked cheddar.

Real, sharp Provolone, which makes heavenly Italian sub sandwiches and perks up other cheese dishes.

Fontina, which has a lovely flavor that would be a prime cheese for Macaroni-and-cheese.

As a home cheese hobbyist who is serious enough to milk her own cow 8 months out of the year to get raw milk to make cheese, I think that every "real" cheese is worth developing a palette for. (I realize some of you might disagree with that statement, as does my DH does who cuts the edges off his brie so I can eat it.) On the other hand there are those imposters who label themselves as "processed cheese food" which confuse me as to how a product made of chemicals, oil, and milk passes as cheese - but unfortunately it does. Yuck!

I have been thinking rather seriously lately about offering to be a lecturer for cruise ships on subjects related to cheese, sourdough, and ethnic cuisine since it seems more and more my speaking and cooking are intertwining themselves. :rolleyes: Who wouldn't love to know more about the cheeses (bread and food in general too) they eat, how the basic cheese making process works, and the cultural and historicalsignificance of different cheeses from various regions.

Peggy

I'll take any cheese that doesnt have bits of fruit in it.

My favourite is Stilton or Derbyshire sage

*snip*

Stilton is wonderful--it's not as ammoniac as other blues, and has a lovely rich nutty flavor!

I love Stilton and Double Gloucester when presented in the layered configuration.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.cheesesupply.com/images/P-16-160.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cheesesupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/184&h=365&w=300&sz=34&tbnid=-iBj9hKQMLq6_M:&tbnh=90&tbnw=74&zoom=1&usg=__9P5FcowtIQz5oQHFB4VTS6LAnYQ=&docid=pfO_jP3DGzP9jM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kZeJUa-kEZWu4AOGjIC4Cw&ved=0CEAQ9QEwAg&dur=50

My absolute favorites are Gouda, aged White Cheddar, and good Extra Sharp Cheddar.

Also think highly of Havarti, Edam, Jarlsberg and Gruyere.

Not a big fan of the really strong cheeses by themselves, although I can handle some of them when used in cooked dishes or salads.

• 1 month later...

Archived