Another reason why cruise cancellation policies need to change

mitsguy2001

A cruise line is NOT a charitable organization.

While Carnival may not be a charitable organization, they HAVE definitely gone out of their way to do their part in previous situations.

Does anybody remember when Katrina devastated New Orleans and Carnival pulled 3 of their ships (Holiday, Sensation and Ecstasy) and docked them in New Orleans for months to provide housing to response workers and displaced people? Thousands of passengers had their vacations cancelled and refunded by Carnival at the last minute to move these ships. Credits were also issued. Probably a costly move, but one that was warranted at the time.

While I agree that the Katrina's situation required a drastic response, I don't think that Sandy requires that type of response. Carnival (or any other cruise line) should NOT change their policy in this situation (as others mentioned, outside the 75 day penalty phase).

Cancel for any reason insurance usually costs about 30% more than a standard policy and only refunds 75% - 80% of the fare. You can purchase a "Required to work" rider for $25.00 per person with Allianz Travel Insurance that refunds 100%. You need to buy it within 14 days of deposit. It covers mergers, if the work place damaged or if your boss requires you to work. We usually don't get it, but are taking our son and his company won't give him final approval for a vacation in May 2013 until the end of March - after final payment is due. He has an approval from his supervisor, but that could get yanked. It would have covered these teachers.

For the cruise line to change their policy and offer refunds would require that they include the cost of such actions in their pricing policy. Basically, it would be the same as if they purchased an insurance. policy, or self insured, to cover the costs of cancellations in case of a disaster.

That would mean that all fares would go up. I would expect that such increase in fares for insuring would have a more negative impact then would their current policy.

Since they do offer insurance themselves, what you are basically asking would be the same as if they simply removed insurance as an option and made it mandatory and billed accordingly. Just think of all of the complaints then or the business that would go to other cruise lines.

Insurance is an option buy it or take your chances.

If cancel for any reason insurance that covers 100% really exists, then tell me what company offers it, since I will certainly buy it next time I book a cruise. But Ken076 seems to think it really does not exist.

I want to reiterate that I do NOT have a cruise booked in February, and I do NOT have any kids yet, and I am NOT a teacher. So I am not personally losing any money with this situation, just stating my own unbiased opinion.

If cancel for any reason insurance that covers 100% really exists, then tell me what company offers it, since I will certainly buy it next time I book a cruise. But Ken076 seems to think it really does not exist.

I want to reiterate that I do NOT have a cruise booked in February, and I do NOT have any kids yet, and I am NOT a teacher. So I am not personally losing any money with this situation, just stating my own unbiased opinion.

An insurance policy that is totally cancel for any reason that provides a 100% refund does not make sense as a commercial product. The calculations for such insurance would make it too expensive.

The closest that one can find would be the insurance offered by the cruise lines themselves. Those will provide cruise credits for an any reason cancellation, not a cash refund. Princess, for example, provides for 100% credit in their Platinum policy at a cost of 12% of cruise fare.

Not sure all of the options under Carnival.

But again if the companies were to provide refunds, they would have to include that into their cost structure and if they allowed it to be cancel for any reasons the cost of the basic cruise fares would go up considerably. The exact amount would depend upon their estimates of how often it would be claimed. Those that don't use it would be paying for everyone that would.

Passenger costs for such a system, would over time, consume more than an occasional loss of a trip fare or the cost of insurance, even with a loss of some percentage of cruise fare.

There is no such thing as a free lunch, someone would have to pay for the change.

I much prefer the lower fare and leaving the decision to insure or not insure to myself.

(For Specified Reasons)..........................Cash Refund Up to Total Cruise Vacation Cost

While I see jury duty as a specified reason, I don't see not having school break as one. So I doubt that would be covered.

I also believe a required to work clause wouldn't cover you unless you are a teacher. If you have to cancel because your kids have to go to school in February, you won't be covered.

The "cancel for any reason" insurance I've seen is usually only 75% max, and even then, you have to cancel more than 48 hours before scheduled departure date. Otherwise - nothing.

Hoping or wishing the cruise line will cover you if Something Bad happens is not a very good plan. They're not going to change anytime soon. Insure what you are willing to pay for, and understand there's a risk of losing if you don't.

Based on the situation you are describing, the cancel for any reason would provide reimbursement of any non-refundable payments up to 100%. I should have clarified my original statement to include such.

While I see jury duty as a specified reason, I don't see not having school break as one. So I doubt that would be covered.

I also believe a required to work clause wouldn't cover you unless you are a teacher. If you have to cancel because your kids have to go to school in February, you won't be covered.

The "cancel for any reason" insurance I've seen is usually only 75% max, and even then, you have to cancel more than 48 hours before scheduled departure date. Otherwise - nothing.

Hoping or wishing the cruise line will cover you if Something Bad happens is not a very good plan. They're not going to change anytime soon. Insure what you are willing to pay for, and understand there's a risk of losing if you don't.

I'm pretty sure the OP was referring more to the fact that the lack of break was caused by sandy, and that's why a refund should be allowed. And carnival does offer refund insurance, and there may be stipulations, but it is 100%

To the OP:

Carnival is not the one requiring these peple to work. Carnival did not cause the storm. Why are you insisting they be the one to pay for? Nothing you said is a reason for it to be Carnival's problem. Indeed, Carnival is a victim of the storm also, as they have lost money from the cancelled cruises and lower on board spending. Why should they have to pay more?

If the employers are requiring the employee to work on previously designated days off, that is between the employer employee (and perhaps their union, if they have one) entirely. Carnival has nothing to do with it. Shouldn't you be asking why the employer isn't willing to pay the non-refundable portion?

No one forced anybody to put a deposit down on a cruise. Carnival doesn't decide the dates for school testing. They did their best for people in the immediate aftermath of the storms, which is what all the examples you listed were. Nobody should expect anything more of them.

I had cruise insurance (not thru Carnival, though) that allowed refunds for situations like Sandy where your house was made "unihabitable by an act of God," etc. I got it thru a huge online warehouse travel dept starting with a "C."

What about the people who bought insurance but Sandy wasn't a covered situation? Shouldn't they get their premium back if someone like yourself who didn't buy insurance gets a refund? What's the point of buying travel insurance if cruise lines will refund regardless of whether you bought insurance?

The bottom line is sometimes circumstances are such that you lose money - period. Not everything in life is compensable out of someone else's pocket.

To the OP:

Carnival is not the one requiring these peple to work. Carnival did not cause the storm. Why are you insisting they be the one to pay for? Nothing you said is a reason for it to be Carnival's problem. Indeed, Carnival is a victim of the storm also, as they have lost money from the cancelled cruises and lower on board spending. Why should they have to pay more?

If the employers are requiring the employee to work on previously designated days off, that is between the employer employee (and perhaps their union, if they have one) entirely. Carnival has nothing to do with it. Shouldn't you be asking why the employer isn't willing to pay the non-refundable portion?

No one forced anybody to put a deposit down on a cruise. Carnival doesn't decide the dates for school testing. They did their best for people in the immediate aftermath of the storms, which is what all the examples you listed were. Nobody should expect anything more of them.

I agree with this. I wouldn't consider the people that are required to be at work in Feb are not victims of the storm, but victims of their employers policy.

Based on the situation you are describing, the cancel for any reason would provide reimbursement of any non-refundable payments up to 100%. I should have clarified my original statement to include such.

What company offers such insurance? If it really exists, I will use it for my next cruise.

At the end of the day the responsibility for our choices rests with ourselves.

If people don't like the policies of refunds, cancellations and the rules imposed by any business, the recourse is not to give that business your custom. More bluntly stated, don't cruise, find some other vacation option that will allow a refund upon the conditions you want. The cruise lines are not going to change their policies unless it results in greater profits for them.

What company offers such insurance? If it really exists, I will use it for my next cruise.

Would you agree the situation that you are speaking of is that of someone withing a 25% penalty?

Here are some companies that have plans that offer 100% coverage if you are within 25% penalty: CSA, Global Alert, Travel Safe.

By my count, as of today, the 23 of November, there are more than 76 days until the second week of February. And comments were made that the week of President's day is the week that is now the non-break week. So there are 85 days until a possible sailing. Still plenty of time to cancel.

And only an ES deposit is non-refundable. It is in the Terms and Conditions.

Cancel your cruise.

Ok, so my work has a no borrowed PTO policy. That means I use my 28 days in the calendar year, and when it's gone, it's gone. Keeping things fair (something outside of my control that would prevent me from being able to cruise), say I get sick and require an unexpected week off prior to my cruise later in the year. I am not allowed to "schedule" time off that I don't have, so then it becomes Carnival's responsibility to refund me for not being able to go?

Yes, this is a far cry from a natural disaster, but where do you draw the line? If I can't go (for whatever reason), I can't go. It takes 30 minutes to get a live person on the line now - can you imagine the floodgates if they took 100% refund calls on a "case by case" basis? Additionally, as I said, it's not a disaster where I lost my house, but losing my job to go on vacation is definitely not an option, so what's the difference?

I suppose it is idealistic for the cruiseline to merrily pass out refunds, but i don't guess it's terribly smart from a business perspective. We all feel for the victims of Sandy, so I get where your heart is.

The others are quite right though, it is neither the cruise lines' fault or responsibilty to make ammends to people affected by the hurricane. Put it the other way. What if all the companies who lost revenue because of Sandy forced their employees to make up the lost work days in free overtime? We'd all be quite horrified. The truth is, ish happens, and you just gotta deal with it and move along.

Me, I've been on several cruises with no insurance. The gambler in me likes the odds of not needing it. If I DID happen to miss one of my cruise and lose my money, I wouldn't be mad since I knowingly assumed the risk. Life is short. I got bigger fish to fry than missed cruises.

(Now I'm going to run before the vacation gods notice that my next one is in 7 days and decide to mess with me for saying that.)

I suppose it is idealistic for the cruiseline to merrily pass out refunds, but i don't guess it's terribly smart from a business perspective. We all feel for the victims of Sandy, so I get where your heart is.

The others are quite right though, it is neither the cruise lines' fault or responsibilty to make ammends to people affected by the hurricane. Put it the other way. What if all the companies who lost revenue because of Sandy forced their employees to make up the lost work days in free overtime? We'd all be quite horrified. The truth is, ish happens, and you just gotta deal with it and move along.

Me, I've been on several cruises with no insurance. The gambler in me likes the odds of not needing it. If I DID happen to miss one of my cruise and lose my money, I wouldn't be mad since I knowingly assumed the risk. Life is short. I got bigger fish to fry than missed cruises.

(Now I'm going to run before the vacation gods notice that my next one is in 7 days and decide to mess with me for saying that.)

Very well said.

I still think the cruiselines should make the info on insurance part of the online check in/contract or whatever...

I have long felt that they should have info/prices of their insurance, link to other insurance companies and a CLEARLY WRITTEN NOTICE THAT CRUISERS WOULD HAVE TO READ AND "INITIAL" OR CHECKOFF>..

Sort of like what rental car companies do : make you sign a waiver if you don't want extra insurance etc

or the way your car insurance company will make you sign and initial things

I think people should be informed and make intelligent decisions.

They should get insurance or "sign off" to refuse it, some may wish to refuse it that is ok too...and the cruiselines should hold them to that and stop with any "case by case" stuff which only results in higher fares or other cut backs in the long run IMHO

By my count, as of today, the 23 of November, there are more than 76 days until the second week of February. And comments were made that the week of President's day is the week that is now the non-break week. So there are 85 days until a possible sailing. Still plenty of time to cancel.

And only an ES deposit is non-refundable. It is in the Terms and Conditions.

Cancel your cruise.

I do NOT have a crusie booked!!!!!!!!!

My significant other is a teacher on Long Island and we have a cruise booked for February break. His district has cancelled February break and we are currently dealing with this issue. His union actualky did a survey of employees who have nonrefundable deposits. Teachers get sick days and personal days but must vacation only when school is out. He's used all his sick days, so fudging isn't even an option. He can't afford to take a week off without pay even if allowed to do so. We are dealing with a mess we never anticipated.

The couple we planned to cruise with is pulling their son out of school and taking the cruise. Easier for them.

It's a massive problem created by Sandy. Carnival would earn considerable brownie points from me if they'd make it easy for us to cancel and rebook. I'd be more inclined to cruise with them again.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

My significant other is a teacher on Long Island and we have a cruise booked for February break. His district has cancelled February break and we are currently dealing with this issue. His union actualky did a survey of employees who have nonrefundable deposits. Teachers get sick days and personal days but must vacation only when school is out. He's used all his sick days, so fudging isn't even an option. He can't afford to take a week off without pay even if allowed to do so. We are dealing with a mess we never anticipated.

The couple we planned to cruise with is pulling their son out of school and taking the cruise. Easier for them.

It's a massive problem created by Sandy. Carnival would earn considerable brownie points from me if they'd make it easy for us to cancel and rebook. I'd be more inclined to cruise with them again.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

You had plenty of time to cancel without penalty.

If you booked early saver, that was YOUR risk, and you lose $50 per person and can rebook another cruise with the rest of your deposits/money.

I hope Carnival doesn't bend at all on this JMO

It is unfortunate for the people that will not be able to go on the cruise due to the storm messing up the winter break however it is unfortunate and not the responsibility of the cruise line to compensate.

As stated earlier in the thread the teachers have to work I believe it was 180 days per year which leaves them 185 days per year to vacation. If I were in their place I would schedule vacations during the time I am sure I would not be working not try to squeeze one in during a winter break

The other question would be is where could you draw the line on who gets a refund.

How about contractors that work in the Middle East and can't get a flight out due to sandstorms grounding everything

How about military who get injured in the line of duty and are not able to go

People that have emergencies at their home or with family members.

I grew up in New England and winters as they were and the fact that snow days had to be made up and often was done during breaks my family did not plan vacations during that time we planned them during summer break. I also live in Florida which is a major place for hurricanes and cruise during hurricane season. If I miss it or they change ports I suck it up and go on. I am one of the people that don't get trip insurance and very well know thjat I could lose my money on a cruise however we have balanced it by the amount we would have shelled out for the insurance and didn't will very well pay for a cruise if forced to miss

Archived