Another reason why cruise cancellation policies need to change

mitsguy2001

My husband lost his job and we had to cancel our Disney Cruise 73 days before the sailing date. The Disney Cruise line policy is to require forfeiture of the entire deposit amount for cancelations that take place 74 to 45 days before the sailing date.

I had tried calling the day before but could not get through to their customer service line because they were having issues where the automated menu kept repeating itself over and over again. When you pressed '1' it would repeat itself over again.

I argued this point and was very upset. We really could use the money right now. Finally, they agreed to reschedule our cruise out one year, but if I cancel now for any reason, I lose the deposit amount. They also charged me $50 per person to change the date.

I find this to be completely heartless considering our financial situation. They will have no problem selling that stateroom that I cancelled, so they just profited from our misfortune.

I am so upset about this that I don't even want to cruise with Disney. However, I have no choice now.

That is really ridiculous, since you tried to cancel on Day 73, and it was THEIR fault that you couldn't cancel! I'm sorry to hear about that situation.

Could you have sent Disney an e-mail to cancel your cruise on day 74?

Everyone who cancels has a reason for it.

Someone had a heart attack.

Someone lost their job.

Someone got a divorce.

Someone suffered a death in the family.

Someone just decided they didn't want to go.

While we all feel awful to hear when someone loses their job, the cruise lines have to hold firm to their rules or everyone would be looking for them to 'have a heart'. Not to mention, how do they really know the excuses they are being given are true?

They sell insurance and make a lot of money on it.

Why should anyone buy the insurance if they keep hearing that people told the cruise line their story and got an 'exception' and they were able to get a refund? Who would buy the insurance? How would those who did spend the money feel to learn all they would have had to do was tell the cruise line a 'worthy reason' why they should get a refund.

I'm sorry I sound so harsh and please know I really feel awful to hear when someone loses their job but maybe you might see my point.

In any case, I sincerely wish you and your DH the best and hopefully he will find something very soon that will be the perfect position for him.

Good luck.

I can't beleive you would post defending the cruise line in this case! You are beyond heartless! She tried to cancel on Day 73, but the phone system was down. So it was the cruise line's fault that she couldn't cancel! So how is this her fault? That was 100% the fault of the cruise line! She wasn't even asking them to "have a heart" or make an exception to their policy; she was trying to cancel on Day 73, when she still would have gotten a refund!

I can't beleive you would post defending the cruise line in this case! You are beyond heartless! She tried to cancel on Day 73, but the phone system was down. So it was the cruise line's fault that she couldn't cancel! So how is this her fault? That was 100% the fault of the cruise line! She wasn't even asking them to "have a heart" or make an exception to their policy; she was trying to cancel on Day 73, when she still would have gotten a refund!

Never mind.

I don't know if the OP is confused about the cancellation penalty structure of if it's a typo or whatever but cancelling on day 73 is within the time period where the deposit amount is forfeit. From the Disney web site:

"74-45 days Deposit per Guest for Non-Suites/Concierge staterooms"

Day 73 falls in that time frame.

So either the OP is mistaken/confused and meant "day 75" or the supposed failure of the Disney phone system had absolutely nothing to do with the penalty situation. Even if, as she stated, she tried calling the day before (day 74) she's still in the penalty period. She would have had to call them TWO days before (day 75) in order to be outside the penalty period.

I think that the offer by Disney to only charge a $50 change fee when they were entitled to keep the full deposit amount is a fair solution to the problem.

I don't know if the OP is confused about the cancellation penalty structure of if it's a typo or whatever but cancelling on day 73 is within the time period where the deposit amount is forfeit. From the Disney web site:

"74-45 days Deposit per Guest for Non-Suites/Concierge staterooms"

Day 73 falls in that time frame.

So either the OP is mistaken/confused and meant "day 75" or the supposed failure of the Disney phone system had absolutely nothing to do with the penalty situation. Even if, as she stated, she tried calling the day before (day 74) she's still in the penalty period. She would have had to call them TWO days before (day 75) in order to be outside the penalty period.

I think that the offer by Disney to only charge a $50 change fee when they were entitled to keep the full deposit amount is a fair solution to the problem.

I was quoting the poster who was in that situation (she was not the OP), and I think she meant 75 days (not 73).

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas viewpost.gif

Could you have sent Disney an e-mail to cancel your cruise on day 74?

Everyone who cancels has a reason for it.

Someone had a heart attack.

Someone lost their job.

Someone got a divorce.

Someone suffered a death in the family.

Someone just decided they didn't want to go.

While we all feel awful to hear when someone loses their job, the cruise lines have to hold firm to their rules or everyone would be looking for them to 'have a heart'. Not to mention, how do they really know the excuses they are being given are true?

They sell insurance and make a lot of money on it.

Why should anyone buy the insurance if they keep hearing that people told the cruise line their story and got an 'exception' and they were able to get a refund? Who would buy the insurance? How would those who did spend the money feel to learn all they would have had to do was tell the cruise line a 'worthy reason' why they should get a refund.

I'm sorry I sound so harsh and please know I really feel awful to hear when someone loses their job but maybe you might see my point.

In any case, I sincerely wish you and your DH the best and hopefully he will find something very soon that will be the perfect position for him.

Good luck.

Yes, I am defending the cruise line.

My post explained why.

I'm not heartless but all the other examples are GOOD reasons for people to cancel their cruise and expect their money back.

Why should anyone book insurance if everyone can give a GOOD excuse for cancelling and get a refund?

I agree that if the cruise line had a telephone malfunction issue that day, it is pertinent but did that mean OP could not send an e-mail? There is a 'contact us' link on every cruise line website. Surely OP and/or their TA could have found a way, in this information age, to tell the cruise line, on time, in time to get a refund, that they were cancelling. People actually still use FAX machines, as well. IF they wanted to get cancellation notification to the cruise line sometime within required time span, it's hard to think it was not possible.

JMO.....

I know some do not agree but it is my opinion.

Again, I am very sorry, particularly this time of year, to hear anyone lost their job and wish them the very best.

My husband lost his job and we had to cancel our Disney Cruise 73 days before the sailing date. The Disney Cruise line policy is to require forfeiture of the entire deposit amount for cancelations that take place 74 to 45 days before the sailing date.

I had tried calling the day before but could not get through to their customer service line because they were having issues where the automated menu kept repeating itself over and over again. When you pressed '1' it would repeat itself over again.

I argued this point and was very upset. We really could use the money right now. Finally, they agreed to reschedule our cruise out one year, but if I cancel now for any reason, I lose the deposit amount. They also charged me $50 per person to change the date.

I find this to be completely heartless considering our financial situation. They will have no problem selling that stateroom that I cancelled, so they just profited from our misfortune.

I am so upset about this that I don't even want to cruise with Disney. However, I have no choice now.

I know you are new here and don't want you to feel 'unwelcome' but you asked and I have an opinion and wish to express it. Hopefully, maybe (?) , it might be helpful to someone else.

If the customer service telephone line was out of order, every cruise line has any amount of other numbers. In circumstances where there is a deadline that is going to cost you money, why not try every other telephone number and explain your problem to the department you reach. Surely someone you reach at Disney could have seen to it your cancellation was recorded and confirmed. They may well have been able to connect you internally to proper department and if not, they could have noted your call (or your TA's - did you use a TA) and you would have gotten your refund.

I would have called and called until I reached someone. If the entire cruise line was unreachable that day, we definitely would have heard about that.

And I once again mention e-mail. That could/would have served as notification of cancellation.

I was quoting the poster who was in that situation (she was not the OP), and I think she meant 75 days (not 73).

Well, when you posted the following castigating another poster:

"I can't beleive you would post defending the cruise line in this case! You are beyond heartless! She tried to cancel on Day 73, but the phone system was down."

you didn't express any doubts that the poster meant "75" rather than "73". Perhaps an apology is due.

Also, if the cancellation was reported to Disney on day 73 (as the poster maintains) do you think the offer of transferring the booking to another sailing date for a $50 change fee was fair?

I'll give everyone here a straight forward answer. Read the contract. If you fail to follow the contract it's your fault and has nothing to do about people having a heart.

If you have a mortgage and failed to make the payment on due date because there was a recession. do you expect the bank to just have a heart and not foreclose on your home? Come on. This is just stupid now. Think. You signed the contract live with the consequences. Life's a Bitch.

I'll give everyone here a straight forward answer. Read the contract. If you fail to follow the contract it's your fault and has nothing to do about people having a heart.

If you have a mortgage and failed to make the payment on due date because there was a recession. do you expect the bank to just have a heart and not foreclose on your home? Come on. This is just stupid now. Think. You signed the contract live with the consequences. Life's a Bitch.

When you can't argue your point of view say...... "Read the Contract"! Contracts can be invalid. Your example about mortgages......many mortgages have been ruled unfair, deceptive and relief has been given to those who hold them. Read the contract........ is a silly argument.

In my opinion the cruise lines cancellations policies are in general fair. It is a business that has to procur supplies in advance and procur staff in advance. Deposits are refundable and even after the final payment there is a certain percentage of fare refunded. Sure it would be nice if they had a more lenient cancellation policy but on this issue I don't blame them, I don't think their cancellation policies are unfair for the type of business they are in.

When you can't argue your point of view say...... "Read the Contract"! Contracts can be invalid. Your example about mortgages......many mortgages have been ruled unfair, deceptive and relief has been given to those who hold them. Read the contract........ is a silly argument.

In my opinion the cruise lines cancellations policies are in general fair. It is a business that has to procur supplies in advance and procur staff in advance. Deposits are refundable and even after the final payment there is a certain percentage of fare refunded. Sure it would be nice if they had a more lenient cancellation policy but on this issue I don't blame them, I don't think their cancellation policies are unfair for the type of business they are in.

Its not about arguing a pov, I am just providing a well known fact. "Read before you sign". Abide by what you signed. Yes, SOME contracts can be deemed invalid or unfair if it is drafted specifically for you (such as a mortgage or personal loan), however a cruise contract is a general contract used by every cruise lines for years (where not always, but almost always they have the same guidelines), if you believe it may be unfair or disagree with it do not sign the contract. From my experience on booking all my cruises through my travel agents they warned me about the cancellation policy and when I booked direct they also warned me about the cancellation policy BEFORE I put in my deposit. Also both travel agent and cruise line (if booked over phone) will read you the contract before you even put a penny on your booking. When you book online they require you to read and check I agree to the above contract and the cancellation policy is clearly marked. Therefore it is not a silly argument if you do not read before you sign.

The OP's complaint is that the cruise lines have no heart. My argument is simple, they do not need to have a heart, if you prefer to fly you may do so however they are offering you a vacation of a lifetime at a great price already. Not everything is always going to go our way. Just live and learn from your experience.

Its not about arguing a pov, I am just providing a well known fact. "Read before you sign". Abide by what you signed. Yes, SOME contracts can be deemed invalid or unfair if it is drafted specifically for you (such as a mortgage or personal loan), however a cruise contract is a general contract used by every cruise lines for years (where not always, but almost always they have the same guidelines), if you believe it may be unfair or disagree with it do not sign the contract. From my experience on booking all my cruises through my travel agents they warned me about the cancellation policy and when I booked direct they also warned me about the cancellation policy BEFORE I put in my deposit. Also both travel agent and cruise line (if booked over phone) will read you the contract before you even put a penny on your booking. When you book online they require you to read and check I agree to the above contract and the cancellation policy is clearly marked. Therefore it is not a silly argument if you do not read before you sign.

The OP's complaint is that the cruise lines have no heart. My argument is simple, they do not need to have a heart, if you prefer to fly you may do so however they are offering you a vacation of a lifetime at a great price already. Not everything is always going to go our way. Just live and learn from your experience.

Never had a travel agent read me the contract over the phone. Used to be that you signed the contract when you got to the dock. These days you usually see the contract when you are doing online check in. That is after both the deposit and final payment. So of course you are going to agree, you already made final payment! Like having a gun pointed at your head.

It would be nice if the cruise lines had a heart in unusual circumstances, good customer service, but I understand why they don't want to make exceptions. Some would take advantage and the revenue model needs occupied cabins. They need to discourage late cancellations. I can find fault with cruise lines but not with this particular issue.

Never had a travel agent read me the contract over the phone. Used to be that you signed the contract when you got to the dock. These days you usually see the contract when you are doing online check in. That is after both the deposit and final payment. So of course you are going to agree, you already made final payment! Like having a gun pointed at your head.

It would be nice if the cruise lines had a heart in unusual circumstances, good customer service, but I understand why they don't want to make exceptions. Some would take advantage and the revenue model needs occupied cabins. They need to discourage late cancellations. I can find fault with cruise lines but not with this particular issue.

I am surprised your agents have not read the contract to you, I had to listen to the contract with priceline, NLG, Liberty Travel, RCI, NCL and Princess. I personally never listen because I read the contract online and only call to book to see if I can get more obc or something extra. But I do agree that they could give leeway, however if they did people would abuse the systems. I live in Coney Island which was severely affected by Hurricane Sandy and I see people personally take advantage of the federal aid and local churches who are donating food, cash cards, and equipment. It is just not a viable idea for cruise lines to change their cancellation policies imo.

I am surprised your agents have not read the contract to you, I had to listen to the contract with priceline, NLG, Liberty Travel, RCI, NCL and Princess. I personally never listen because I read the contract online and only call to book to see if I can get more obc or something extra. But I do agree that they could give leeway, however if they did people would abuse the systems. I live in Coney Island which was severely affected by Hurricane Sandy and I see people personally take advantage of the federal aid and local churches who are donating food, cash cards, and equipment. It is just not a viable idea for cruise lines to change their cancellation policies imo.

Nope, never for 46 cruises booked from 1996 to date had the contract read to me. Never booked direct with the cruise line. Used a bunch of travel agents over the years. They did explain the cancelation policy if it were my first booking with them and all asked me if I wanted insurance. Of the 46 one is a future booking, of the 45 past bookings, I only canceled two cruises. Both for medical issues. One was before final payment so no loss there and the other medical issue happened the week before the cruise, had surgery the day I was supposed to be flying to the cruise. I had insurance (Travel Guard) and they paid my entire claim two weeks after it was submitted.

Since insurance is available both from the cruise lines and third party companies that is another reason I don't think cruise lines will change their policies. The only alternative I could see would be for them to have two rates, one a non refundable rate and the other a higher refundable rate. I think the current policies are not onerous. You can cancel two to three months in advance for any reason and not even lose the deposit. There are a variety of insurance policies with different options that are an optional purchase that cover cancellations and other issues that can occur on a trip.

Archived