can anyone recommend best snorkeling in Eastern Caribbean?

For myself and my two kids (ages 8 and 11). They are pretty good snorkelers though. Just wondering where the best water / fish / escursions are for snorkeling. Any advice, thanks?

We can't really compare to much, but we loved the snorkeling in St. John's, U.S.V.I. If your ship doesn't stop there, it's a fairly easy trip from St. Thomas. The beaches there are gorgeous, and it shouldn't be too tough with the kids. We plan on taking our 10 & 12 year olds next year.

Let me recommend a snorkeling excursion is St. Thomas. It is called Buck Island Sailing & Snorkeling. You board a private yacht which holds only 6 people (including yourself) sail for about 45 minutes out to uninhabited Buck Island and anchor for some amazing snorkeling. The fish were amazing and better than any I have ever seen on my numerous scuba and snorkeling trips. They even provide a light snack and beverages on the 45 minute sail back to the ship. A wonderful excursion and I will definitely book it again on my next cruise to St. Thomas.

Last year when we stopped at St. Thomas, we took the water taxi over to St. John and went to Trunk Bay and this year we took the same water taxi to St. John and went to Cinnimon Bay. Both were beautiful and well worth the trip. The fish and coral look like something out of the pages of National Geographic! Both you and the kids would love either! I would be happy to answer any questions if you like.

what is the routine for getting to trunk or cinnimon bay. Taxi to water taxi and then taxi to trunk bay, etc... Also, is there snorkel equipment rented there on the beach?

Yes - taxi to Red Hook, then water taxi to St. John and then taxi to Trunk Bay. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's well worth it and it's a relaxing, beautiful ride!

The taxi drivers on St. Johns are great! They will wait until you are ready to go back. They make sure you are well taken care of!

Yes, they rent equipment at both. We brought our own to Cinnamon Bay, so I'm not sure about the quality of their equipment, but I saw that they were renting stuff. We rented at Trunk Bay last year.

Both places have a little snack bar.

Trunk Bay is more visited, and has the underwater signs. Cinnamon Bay is quieter and less crowded. (But either one is a lot less crowded than Megans Bay!)

Wish I was there! Enjoy!

We have our own snorkel equipment now, but when we did rent in St. John it was fine - although that was a while back. And, as Dreamin mentioned, the taxi routine there was very easy. I don't know if it's still the same, but they were open air taxis - fun to ride in. We used them almost every day during our trip there, going to all kinds of places, including some remote beaches and always had someone waiting for us when it was time to leave.

Archived