Cane Bay Beach

hipster1

This is a local beach, i dont remember ever renting anythign here. We always sat on our towels. They have a dive shop there, not much else, but it is one of the best beaches for diving and snorkeling in St Croix. If Cane Bay plantation is still there it was a great place to eat

We will be in St Croix this coming January. We were thinking of hitting Cane Bay Beach. Can anyone tell me if there are chairs and umbrellas to rent?

Thanks!

I have heard that there are chairs to rent and a few places to eat. One guy on my roll call said if you go to the dive shop at the end of the pier they will bring you there give you a chair and bring you back for 25$ add snorkel equipment for 35$. I have not confirmed this, he also said it would cost 18$pp for a taxi to Cane Bay.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We are headed there too and have set up a day of diving through Cane Bay Divers . I have made some phone calls and they provide transportation from the pier. They said just walk off the pier and there secondary shop is right there If you dive they give you a chair for free but other than that it is 25$. Not sure about if you get a chair if you snorkel. Hope this helps. We are looking forward to the day there! They have a shuttle that brings you back to the pier at 2 3 or 4pm.

Shuttle to Cane Bay was $18 pp for a round trip. Walk to the end of the dock, you'll find the taxi dispatchers there, pay in full at the table and get a ticket for the ride back. They will wait till they have a full van.

Our driver came back for us at 2:30 as we arranged and was a little upset when 4 of the people who rode out with us had already gone back in another taxi. I'm guessing that he only gets paid for the complete ride when he turns in the tickets so that was 4 fares he wasn't going to get. Just keep this in mind when you're arranging your pick-up time.

We were there on a Monday and Eat was open.

We just got back.

My 3, 20's daughters loved Cane Bay. It is were the locals hang out. Sunday is their busy day there with band. It is very small, but beautiful. Good for the afternoon.

Rent a car and go to Sandy Point US National Seashore in the morning. It is tuly one of the most beautiful spots on earth and only a 15 minute drive from the port. One couple on our ship even walked there. Stay for 2 hours, then head north to Cane Bay for a memorable day.

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Cane Bay Beach. It was a nice enough beach, nothing too spectacular but it wasn't terrible. The little dining place, Eat was amazing though. I had the "best burger of the year" and it was delicious. I'd go back to that place for that lunch lol

• 2 weeks later...

We were there last week and it's not that nice unless you either snorkel or dive. Chairs were filthy, no umbrellas, and the beach is full of broken coral. There is large rock outcroppings that make part of the beach unusable and dangerous. As soon as I finish downloading all our pictures I'll post them. The entery into the water has a gravel ledge that you must get past to reach the sand bottom, once in the water it is nice. There is no pier as someone had heard, but there is a dive shop a few hundred yards up the road with another bar/food venue. We ate across the stret and it was very good, stay away from the food and drink shack on the beach where you can rent the filthy chairs as the kitchen looked like the chairs!

Try Sand Castle Beach as all we heard back on the ship were good things.

Hal & Barbara

We were there last week and it's not that nice unless you either snorkel or dive. Chairs were filthy, no umbrellas, and the beach is full of broken coral. There is large rock outcroppings that make part of the beach unusable and dangerous. As soon as I finish downloading all our pictures I'll post them. The entery into the water has a gravel ledge that you must get past to reach the sand bottom, once in the water it is nice. There is no pier as someone had heard, but there is a dive shop a few hundred yards up the road with another bar/food venue. We ate across the stret and it was very good, stay away from the food and drink shack on the beach where you can rent the filthy chairs as the kitchen looked like the chairs!

Hal & Barbara

I didn't think it was that bad. I didn't rent a chair though. I have some pictures of the beach I'll post later.

Hal & Barbara

I would have to agree with you. The snorkeling was pretty good, but Cane Bay is probably the least favorite beach we have visited on our cruises in the Caribbean. No desires to return to St Croix.

• 1 month later...

Wow. We absolutely loved Cane Bay and loved the food at EAT. Yes, there is an orney guy rented crappy lounge chairs but just move on.

The snorkeling was awesome. My son and I saw a sea turtle amongst all the other fish and coral.

It is a not casual sunbathing and swimming beach. Only go if you are looking for great snorkeling.

We rented a jeep for only $75 for the day. A great deal for 4 of us. We drove thru the rain forest to get there...worth the rent.

Wife and I feel we could spend at week on St. Croix.

Edited by smithsonga

• 9 months later...

Please can someone give me more information about this beach. Is this the closest place to snorkel near the cruise ships? Where do you rent the jeep from? I understand this is not a beach but a nice place to snorkel.

I would love more information,

Relax and enjoy life.

• 3 months later...

Well I have to disagree with the posts about good snorkeling, we thought it was some of the most boring and barren we've seen. You might stumble across a turtle or something, but the water gets deep and there really isn't much to see in the water. As someone else said, Cane Bay is NOT the place to go if it's just for a beach, it's not that great a place to just hang out compared to most Caribbean beaches.

• 1 month later...
Well I have to disagree with the posts about good snorkeling, we thought it was some of the most boring and barren we've seen. You might stumble across a turtle or something, but the water gets deep and there really isn't much to see in the water. As someone else said, Cane Bay is NOT the place to go if it's just for a beach, it's not that great a place to just hang out compared to most Caribbean beaches.

So which beach would you suggest for beauty & good snorkeling?

• 1 month later...