Another "Sad" Early Saver Question

1tuckersmom

I did a search and could not find an answer.

Hoping someone here might know.

A dear friend and I are booked on the Miracle to Hawaii in October 2013.

We booked ES. The sad part of the question, she passed away suddenly last evening.

With a very heavy heart our group of course will be sailing without her.

I have insurance, she did not. My DH has offered to go with me in her place.

My question? Does anyone have any idea how this will be handled?

I have read a lot of Early Saver post in the past, but none dealing with the death of a cabin mate.

I do have a call in to our TA but she has not returned my call as yet.

Thanks.

C'mon people... yes, this is sad, and I am SO sorry for your loss OP. But unless she was in direct relation to you or she had insurance, then you're out of luck. Carnival "MAY" have pity on you and help you out, but don't count on it. They aren't in the business of covering people for covered insurance reasons without having said insurance. Think of it along the business line... if you cover one guy because he has a "sob story", then you'd have to cover everyone else that had said "sob story".

Hate to say it, but unless this person had insurance, or you had insurance enough to cover them, you'd be out of luck.

Still, sorry for your loss.

Hate to say it, but unless this person had insurance, or you had insurance enough to cover them, you'd be out of luck.

Wow. Cold. OP didn't ask if they'd be in or out of luck. They asked if anyone here had an idea of how it might be handled while they wait for a return call from their travel agent.

Bobbie, thinking of you during this difficult time.

~Denise

C'mon people... yes, this is sad, and I am SO sorry for your loss OP. But unless she was in direct relation to you or she had insurance, then you're out of luck. Carnival "MAY" have pity on you and help you out, but don't count on it. They aren't in the business of covering people for covered insurance reasons without having said insurance. Think of it along the business line... if you cover one guy because he has a "sob story", then you'd have to cover everyone else that had said "sob story".

Actually, it is the deceased whose reservation is in question. Carnival generally believes it is good business to not charge a dead person to cruise.

You sound pretty sympathetic, the person is deceased, not trying to weasel out of the cruise. So even if you want to use the business side of it, wouldn't two people in the cabin spending money on the ship be more profitable ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The travel insurance that I have used covers this possibility; i.e. the insurance will reimburse you for whatever Carnival charges you now that you are travelling solo (e.g. the 100% single occupancy upcharge). Hope your insurance does the same.

Wow. Cold. OP didn't ask if they'd be in or out of luck. They asked if anyone here had an idea of how it might be handled while they wait for a return call from their travel agent.

~Denise

Then they should wait for a call from their TA until they post.

My point stands... although harsh, it's honest. It sucks to be in their spot right now, and my heart goes out to them, but the reality still slaps us all in the face... unless they have insurance, don't expect any reimbursement.

The worst scenario since the cruise is still a year out is that both of you (you and her estate) loose the $50 deposit and you will rebook with your husband. You, though, will have to pay current rates...but if you rebook ES you are still entitled to any price breaks (though I understand the Hawaiian cruises rarely go down in price).

My condolences to you on your loss...losing a good friend is always hard especially one who has proven to be a good traveling companion...they are often hard to find.

I wish I could find where I read that in the event of death, name changes are allowed.. Personally, if I was Carnival ,and I said no way, I would feel awfully bad about that. I would be willing to bet that in this case , they will help...The OP is facing enough as it is, so why would a huge cruise line, that wants to keep their customers happy, not help in this situation ?

Thank you all for the kind words of sympathy and for thoughts on how this might be handled.

Even to the one who felt the need to flame me for asking the question, thank you too for expressing that you are sorry that I lost a dear friend.

bonnys I will report back here as to how this is sloved when all the dust has settled and I hear back from the TA.

Somehow I am wishing after the flame that I received I had just waited for the call that still has not come to begin with.

I did a search and could not find an answer.

Hoping someone here might know.

A dear friend and I are booked on the Miracle to Hawaii in October 2013.

We booked ES. The sad part of the question, she passed away suddenly last evening.

With a very heavy heart our group of course will be sailing without her.

I have insurance, she did not. My DH has offered to go with me in her place.

My question? Does anyone have any idea how this will be handled?

I have read a lot of Early Saver post in the past, but none dealing with the death of a cabin mate.

I do have a call in to our TA but she has not returned my call as yet.

Thanks.

Sincere Sympathies to you and her family....

I had a similar situation back in April, a client has passed away ( suddenly and Unexpectedly ) she was to attend her niece's wedding on board the Paradise.... She passed less than two weeks before the wedding and did not have insurance...She wsa booked as an early saver in a suite....

Carnival was fabulous to work with, they asked for a Death Certificate, and a copy of the obituary.... Waived the cancellation fees, and substitute her son in her place without charge........... NOW having said that, she was paid in full, a wedding was being attended etc....

I am sure your friend wasn't paid in full, so she will be out the deposit, and you shouldn't have any issues adding your husband to the booking, please come back and let us know what the out come is....

Just my take on this.. I think people here may be being a little harsh on Mom2JJandJ. I did not read this reply to be an attack at all on the OP, yes calling it a 'sob story' was perhaps insensitive to the situation, but I am sure everyone here is sympathetic to your story. However the point that I got out of Mom2JJandJs post is that while we all HOPE Carnival will be sympathetic to this situation and act in good faith to accommodate you with as little fuss as possible, I am sure we have all read on this board situations, particularly in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, where Carnival have been less than accommodating with life changing events that ARE out of anyones control and unfortunately DO impact on planned holidays.

While maybe not expressed as supportive as it could have been , I think the point was that you do need to be realistic about the fact that Carnival may not play ball with this (and that is not to say that you weren't being realistic.. I know you were just asking for advice), and you may end up out of pocket.. nothing more.

Again, just MY interpretation on it, it did not to me appear to be intentionally offensive to any of you, particularly the OP who is obviously dealing with a very emotional situation.

My sympathy to you and everyone else who is grieving this loss, and I sincerely hope that Carnival do show some understanding with this, just be aware that they may not.

OP said the cruise is Oct 2013, a year away.

Insurance should not be involved .....this is a question of a substitution of one passenger for another on the booking. I would think that under the circumstance, Carnival will work with the OP on this.

First, let me send my heartfelt condolences on the loss of this lovely lady.

My FIL passed away a month after we had all booked a cruise on ES. They had travel insurance. None of us sail without it.

Carnival was wonderful about it after I spoke to a supervisor. First person I spoke with was sympathetic but unwavering. He made a few strange comments and i knew I was going to need to speak to someone with more authority.

My MIL did not want to sail alone no matter how much we tried to convince her. :(. They rest of us did sail, had a wonderful time and I am glad we went because my youngest brother passed away suddenly three weeks after we returned.

Carnival refunded both deposits and the cost of the insurance even though they did not have to. It took awhile as we had to send the Death Certificate to them. Once they had it, the refund was posted pretty quickly.

Good luck, please let us know how this turns out.

Archived