What are those "Odd" things some of us would never think to bring?

dis2cruise

Here is one I haven't seen yet.

For 15+ years now I have been bringing a roll of my own TP. I don't care for the John Wayne TP in the bathrooms on ships. What do I mean by John Wayne TP? Rough and tough and don't take crap off of anyone.

Agree with this. Back in September we had 3 suitcases at 49 pounds. If we didn't have the scale, we would have been moving things around at the airport check-in counter.:o

Bob

I rarely pack a bag over 42 lbs if only taking one bag. Leaves room for extras.

Or pack a collapsable bag you can use as a carry on.

Or better yet, I take an extra carry on size suitcase, mostly empty.

Fill it up with drinks/sodas when in departing port. Drink them on board, then have an empty suitcase for extras on the return.

This is asuming you can get everything in the large suitcase and keep it under 50lbs, which I do.

Here is one I haven't seen yet.

For 15+ years now I have been bringing a roll of my own TP. I don't care for the John Wayne TP in the bathrooms on ships. What do I mean by John Wayne TP? Rough and tough and don't take crap off of anyone.

Isn't that a no no? Don't mean to make an issue. Just asking.

Edited by Gran3

I bring a canvas thermos six-pack holder. I ask the room steward to fill it with ice every day. A rum runner 32 oz. fits very nicely in the bottom of it and with ice on top, my white wine stays nice and cool. Before anyone gets on my case about smuggling, I bring it empty as I got comp wine being Diamond+ and have a Diamond+ friend who doesn't drink and gave me his. Now you can bring on two bottles of wine.

I keep it in the shower because it "sweats." It, also, reminds the room steward to fill it and I don't have an ice bucket taking up room on the vanity.

I had Royal take up a pair of my son's plastic, blunt nosed kindergarten scissors once! I had to bite my tongue not to ask the woman if she would prefer that I have those scissors or a steak knife from the dining room if I was up to evil against her.

I have dollar store poncho's, too. I never had to use them yet. I call them "insurance" and don't leave home without them.

Tucker in Texas

Not like I'm packing a weapon! Just TP. Nothing I've ever seen suggests that it is a problem for the plumbing systems. The stuff they use is just cheap TP and people also are flushing the tissues they have in the bathrooms as well. So I don't think any of it is marine grade stuff like you need on small boats.

One blank personal check for "just in case $$". After I get onboard, I usually just put it away in the safe with our passports. RCL will cash one personal check for $200 for you on the cruise (with driver's license/I.D.). Gives me peace of mind that I'll will always have cash available at the end of our trip for tips, gifts, taxis, baggage handlers when we debark or at the airport, etc. Most times I never use it, however a few times it has come in very handy!

Is there a charge for cashing a check?

I pack my leathermen along with a set of miniature screwdrivers,and some duck tape.

My hubby had his leatherman confiscated by port security... we weren't able to get it back until we returned to San Juan after the cruise. I really love them.

I also have Ziplocks on my cruise packing list... we started collecting shells from all of the beaches we've been to and we layer them in a giant glass vase. Better to put them in ziplocks than just having them roll around in the bags!

I also couldn't cruise without my mini antibacterial bottles. My husband puts one in his pocket and I put one in mine and we carry them with us all week. I don't know if they work or not, but they certainly psych us up to make us think we're doing something to protect ourselves!

Ann

Not like I'm packing a weapon! Just TP. Nothing I've ever seen suggests that it is a problem for the plumbing systems. The stuff they use is just cheap TP and people also are flushing the tissues they have in the bathrooms as well. So I don't think any of it is marine grade stuff like you need on small boats.

The tp they use is a marine grade. Using the stuff we use at home has a high probability of causing issues in the system down the line...

The tp they use is a marine grade. Using the stuff we use at home has a high probability of causing issues in the system down the line...

I ll second that, our last cruise there was a huge fuss made about only the ships toilet paper could be flushed down the loo,anything else had to be put in the garbage receptacle in bathroom ala Greek toilets.

No wonder folks have problems with plumbing on ships if this advice is not followed.

Your are correct, you should not use everyday household tp in marine or rv systems. It does not breakdown correctly and can and does cause havoc on the system. On a cruise is may not do anything to your bathroom, but can cause problems for others. That being said, not sure if OP is bring his own "proper" tp.

I always pack quart and gallon ziploc bags on every trip, cruise or otherwise. Someone always find a need for one.

Roll them up and put a rubberband around them.

Hi: In addition to the ziploc, we also take a larger white "garbage bag" for dirty clothes to keep in the closet.

I also ALWAYS bring plastic coated medium size, clothes pins, for securing small items on the line in the shower, i.e. bathing suit, undies, etc.

Also, travel size of Lysol spray, hand sanitizer, band aids, bacatracin, aloe vera (after sunburn), stick-ums and pen for notes in cabin, aspirins, etc...

If I forgot anything important, I'm sure another poster will help out:D

Safe sails!!!

t-shirts that U can throw away during the cruise, same for towels

Totally forgot! Last cruise we packed all the oldest rattiest holey underwear and at cruise end it all went in the trash can making room for purchases along the way. I even bought a pair of dress shoes for $4.95 at a discount shoe store (and with daughter-in-law's 50% store manager discount) and left them with note for cabin attendant to see if someone could use them - only worn 3 formal nights. We packed many items with intention of jettisoning them - and did!

Edited by Sequim88

Luggage tags!!

Last cruise DH's color tag had come off during debarkation, and they put it with the rest of the unidentified bags. Because he didn't have a luggage tag on the bag, they didn't want to give it to him when he finally found it - they wanted proof it was his bag first (I thought that was odd since the color tag pick up is kind of an unmanned free for all anyway). We usually have copies of our passport id page in our luggage, but for some reason this bag didn't get it's copy before we left. They finally gave his bag to him when he realized he had torn off an old airline luggage tag with his name on it and stuffed it in the side pocket. All our bags have those plastic tags now just in case.

If it has a hard place anywhere on the suitcase - I stick return address labels on it - normally ends up in the indent under the handle. Or one of DH's business cards in a few pockets if it is a duffel bag.

Noise machine /travel alarm clock--we are used to sleeping with the "white noise"... Magellan's has a nice "Sound Oasis" one, great for background noise and alarm. We also carry a light weight digital luggage scale..no more over 50 lbs.

!

iOS and Android have apps that work pretty well.

Pre printed address labels for postcards - just write out - stick- stamp - mail

Mini pharmacy including powdered Gatorade G2 (lower sugar ones) packets - not so much in the Caribbean - but trying to find something if you get ill in some countries can be a challenge.

Mini health history - allergies, medications (brand name and generic& dosage, for me copy of my latest blood work. latest status report from my doc, and the hospital at home's emergency contact info for my doc. Just goes in the folder with the rest of the paperwork for the trip