Need shopping help please!

sprint180

Hi all I was wondering if you all could tell me what some good online places to shop are. I will tell you a bit about myself.

First of all, I absolutely hate to shop for clothes. After the first outfit I am about in tears and ready to go home. I am 5'1" tall, about 175 lbs. I would like to say that in 6 mos when I go on my cruise i will be thinner but I am also realistic, I won't be. I live 110 miles from my local Walmart and the mall in that town is pretty sparse. Herbergers, JC Pennys and the like. And, not much selection in those. Any suggestions? forgot to mention I am 43 years old.

thanks

Vicki

I like Coldwater Creek and JC Penney's and even Forever21, but I'm a serious bargain-hunter and only shop these online stores when they are having great sales. Coldwater Creek pretty often has 50% off everything and free shipping which then makes them affordable. Forever21 is not very good quality but is VERY inexpensive when on sale and a good place to try out fun trendy stuff, although when you're older than a teenybopper you have to comb carefully through their stuff for things that are age-appropriate!

I find that ebay is a great place to get some wonderful deals.

I love the clothing on QVC and often find brand new QVC brands at bargain prices.

I am picky that they have to be new...tags optional...and that the seller will take returns if the sizing is not right. So far everything I have bought has been just as described on the listing. I had one problem recently where the size M was sent instead of a L but they found a L and sent it right out with a label to return the wrong one at their cost.

Just make sure to check the seller's "reputation" in the feedback score.

Hope you can find things that you like and are affordable

Are you looking for casual or dressy clothes?

For casual, I like Lands End. You can almost always find %off coupons and free shipping over $50. They have very nice (affordable) cashmere sweaters and offer petite, regular and plus sizes. I wear a large, the sizes are generous, it would be equal to an XL at most places. The best part is that you can return them in person to Sears!

422230_4Q12_LS_O53?$ix_img_v3$

For nice slacks, I love Bremerton slacks from Eddie Bauer. We have a local store that takes returns, but the slacks can only be ordered online. They fit very true to size and come in a variety of lengths, including petite. They have a hidden stretch in the waist. :p

EB99IA_0113983_526M1?$category$

I avoid dressy clothes. I have a black "tuxedo-style" outfit from Chicos that has lasted me forever. Formal wear doesn't fit our casual, beachy lifestyle, so we tend not to buy a lot of it. :rolleyes:

I think a lot depends on how much you want to spend, and what styles you like.

Kohls, JC Penney, Target, Walmart, Sears will all have the least expensive clothes. I buy a lot of stuff at Kohls, but other than the Dana Buchman line, most of it is pretty basic stuff. Maybe check out that particular line on-line. Sizing is pretty accurate.

If you want to spend a bit more then look at Lands End, Coldwater Creek, Talbots, Ann Taylor, Loft, and Chicos. In my opinion, Lands End & Coldwater Creek's stuff can often be a bit matronly ... but there are often some really cute tops & jackets. Chicos and Coldwater Creek are more likely to have clothes that are cut to be a bit more forgiving ... so easier to purchase online.

Edit to add ... maybe check out JJill. Easy to buy because the style is more relaxed.

If you decide to spend more then try Nordstrom or some of the better department stores. That said, most of those stores have clothing lines that are more "fitted", so it's tougher to buy stuff online.

Good luck!

I agree that Coldwatercreek is great for online shopping. Right now they have 50% off some stuff, 30% off and free shipping as well. Their return policy is also very easy to use. You don't pay for return shipping, so no loss if you don't like something.

Visit your local Thrift Stores, and try on anything that you like.

While I am a big fan of shopping in thrift & consignment stores, if her local Walmart is 110 miles away, I'm guessing there aren't really thrift or consignment options available either.....

For online shopping, my favorite sites are Lands End and SierraTradingPost.com (both will send you emails with discount coupons regularly if you sign up) STP started out with outdoor type gear but they also regularly have European fashion - especially high end woolens & cottons - and work appropriate clothing. Everything from Gramicci & Teva to Johnston of Elgin's cashmere.....

My sister is slightly taller than you , but around the same weight. When we were shopping for her casual cruise clothes. The best fitting clothing we found was Coldwater Creek, the petite plus sizing.

I always look for sale pricing when shopping at Coldwater Creek as I find the quality marginal.

You are right, my local good will is also 110 miles away, There is a local one but I think it specializes in vintage 1980. Thanks for the suggestions, I am glad someone mentioned the sierra trading post one bc i found it a while back but didn't remember the name again. I will take a look at these and see what I can find.

You need to "try on" clothes....every label is sized differently. Just suck it up, and go shopping. Try things on...look in the mirror (yes, I know the mirrors are "fixed", too)....but buying online, and having to return ship...that sucks more than going to the store and trying stuff in person.

Also try the cc clothing swap thread. It's been dead lately but I have some plus size stuff to put up when I get unpacked (just off Fascination today) and usually when one person post there's a small flurry of activity. I've picked up a couple really nice pieces that way, just for the cost of the postage.

Going by info given, www.torrid.com may be a good option. Not expensive but some trendy stuff.

Torrid is pretty much a junior-mid twenties store. But there are good basic 'all age' pieces to be found. The jeans fit a plus size body well.

OP- You'd probably be a size 1 (or 2) or 14 (or 16) in their two sizing systems.

You are right, my local good will is also 110 miles away, There is a local one but I think it specializes in vintage 1980. Thanks for the suggestions, I am glad someone mentioned the sierra trading post one bc i found it a while back but didn't remember the name again. I will take a look at these and see what I can find.

I agree with Kohls. They have every style..every size...for every occasion. Everything is on sale this week (great prices) free shipping if you spend over $50 and an ADDITIONAL 20% off with the code WREATH. I buy everything on line with them for 5 years now. Good luck to you..:o

Torrid is pretty much a junior-mid twenties store. But there are good basic 'all age' pieces to be found. The jeans fit a plus size body well.

OP- You'd probably be a size 1 (or 2) or 14 (or 16) in their two sizing systems.

I'm 48 and like a lot of their stuff. Some of it's too big, but some of it fits.

ok sierra trading post isn't the store I thought it was. What ever sight I went on and found a some really nice clothes wasn't pennys, macys, herbergers type, I wish I could remember what it was though.

ha it's a good thing I spend my days with 3 and 4 yr olds and there is only one person in the building. No one cares if I am stylish!

Guest maddycat
I have a black "tuxedo-style" outfit from Chicos that has lasted me forever.

I also have a black Chico's outfit (Travelers) that I have had for years and wear for formal nights. My outfit consists of a jacket and pants. Chico's has a wide range of sizes and short length pants , comparable to petite length. I have 3 different tops that I wear with this outfit, all bought at Macy's on sale. I always get compliments on my "formal" outfit..........it's comfortable, stylish and wrinkle free. What more could you ask for.

I also have a black Chico's outfit (Travelers) that I have had for years and wear for formal nights. My outfit consists of a jacket and pants. Chico's has a wide range of sizes and short length pants , comparable to petite length. I have 3 different tops that I wear with this outfit, all bought at Macy's on sale. I always get compliments on my "formal" outfit..........it's comfortable, stylish and wrinkle free. What more could you ask for.

It was the best $100 I ever spent!!!! :)

Wish I knew how to post pics. i found a dress on Kohls that I like. Here is the address http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/PRD~1090568/Chaps-Ponte-Sheath-Dress.jsp Would this be fancy enough on princess for the formal nights or does it need to be long

Can't speak about the Princess but with some bling-y type jewelry and some dressy heals I think it could be fancy enough or at least to me.:rolleyes:

Wish I knew how to post pics. i found a dress on Kohls that I like. Here is the address http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/PRD~1090568/Chaps-Ponte-Sheath-Dress.jsp Would this be fancy enough on princess for the formal nights or does it need to be long

Gorgeous. So few women wear gowns anymore. My husband doesn't even wear his tux either. Not too many men wear those anymore. He will only wear it if we cruise on Celebrity or Holland. Carnival, NCL, Royal and Princess has eased up over the years.

Archived