My one complaint about QM2

bazzaw

So it has to be the right sort of noise, a bit like Network Rail's snow. David.

You got the clue. Somtimes it's just the wrong kind of leaves (i.e. horse chestnuts) on the track to get a train delayed, or an unapropriate joke to spoil the dinner on the neighbors table in the MDR.

To us every day on a Cunard vessel was special with all the interesting company one has to talk about different things in life and also putting the world rigt. On the other hand it is sometimaes really sad to see couples sitting just together on a small table for two, not speaking a word during the whole dinner process. I wish them good conversation in the future.

You got the clue. Somtimes it's just the wrong kind of leaves (i.e. horse chestnuts) on the track to get a train delayed, or an unapropriate joke to spoil the dinner on the neighbors table in the MDR.

To us every day on a Cunard vessel was special with all the interesting company one has to talk about different things in life and also putting the world rigt. On the other hand it is sometimaes really sad to see couples sitting just together on a small table for two, not speaking a word during the whole dinner process. I wish them good conversation in the future.

My wife and I always have a table for two, and despite being married for 45 years I never have nothing to listen to!:rolleyes::D Phil

We used to be nearby #89 (next to the Commodores) and had such great fun with 2 Brits and 4 Aussies on the WC in 2011. And yes our table was quite a noisy one, with the advantage that Commodore Warner came over not just once to share our fun.

This rings a bell! (I hope not a noisy one). Remembering that Commodore Warner had retired, I have often been asking myself what Captains do after their retirement :confused: ....

Is this not a boring life after having spent so many years at sea and seeing the world, being confronted to numerous different situations and challenges, sometimes even adventurous ones? Would anybody know?

Thanks! :)

My wife and I always have a table for two, and despite being married for 45 years I never have nothing to listen to!:rolleyes::D Phil

We have been on cruises where couples sitting at a nearby table almost became part of our six sitter. One of them even said on the last evening how they had enjoyed joining in with our table banter.

Would be interested as to why you choose a table for two rather than a shared one.

David.

Only one complaint is pretty good for the realists! We were once sat at a table for eight. Right at the back of Britannia restaurant and adjecent to the "club" section. The waiters had about 2 inches to slide past our backs:rolleyes: Most of that dining room is impossibly crowded. By the third day we had all changed.

We had a table for two on our recent QM2 voyage, and unfortunately ended up near a very noisy wait station. What's with that? Well, after I got to know the ship I didn't find it that surprising as most of the ship isn't laid out well at all.

We moved after the first night to another table - a four-top that wasn't shared. Of course it was on the other side of the dining room - near another wait station.

By mid-sail we had been befriended by one of the speakers on the ship and his partner. They really made our trip - and we had a lot of fun joining their table after their conservative Republican co-diners took leave (this was right before our election).

All in all the Brittania experience was a bit lacking - how hard is it to coordinate your wine steward with the waiter? They were always out of sync and wine was always showing up far too late into the meal. Food was good though.

This rings a bell! (I hope not a noisy one). Remembering that Commodore Warner had retired, I have often been asking myself what Captains do after their retirement :confused: ....

Is this not a boring life after having spent so many years at sea and seeing the world, being confronted to numerous different situations and challenges, sometimes even adventurous ones? Would anybody know?

Thanks! :)

My friend, Roland Hassell is an ex-Captain of the QE2, now retired. He is now an active and keen astronomer and will be on the QM2 Canaries voyage next year, purely for pleasure!

Archived