What Are You Reading?

tuggers

In my humble opinion...much better! Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the movie versions...I have the DVD of the first set of 4 as well as the 2 additional later movies. The movies were very well done, but the books are so much more descriptive of the characters and the settings that you can live out the movies yourself.

Not to mention, the book series goes much deeper into those first 6 episodes you saw in the movies, and extends far beyond, to Horblower's ascension to Admiral! Very gripping, enjoyable, and easy reads. Having seen the films, you'll already be tying faces to the characters in the book.

Dear zackiedawg,

Just wanted to let you know got first books and I am really enjoying it, very close to DVDs thanks for the recommendations, I plan on reading the whole series

Plumeria

That's great to hear! The movies did very well to stick to the books, with the obvious exception of having to cut a few things out for length. I think that's why you'll thoroughly enjoy when you get past the last movie - the characters are well entrenched in your head, yet the adventures are all new and hold much more surprise and excitement.

I've almost completed my Richard Sharpe rifleman series...the third multi-book series about the British military during the Naopleonic wars that I've read and enjoyed (Hornblower and Aubrey being the other two)...one book to go on Sharpe...then I'll have to leave the Napoleonic Wars and begin a new subject.

I think I'll clean my palate with Brian Haig's latest, then go into the New Madrid earthquakes, and follow it up with 1776. I'm trying to hold off on some of these until my cruise in late September, but it's hard to go that long without reading them!

New out is "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea". This is a blow by blow history of how the Florida cruise lines (NCL, RCL, Carnival) came to be in existence. Many, many interesting tidbits about how Carnival acquired all those cruise lines. (They really do serve the cheapest food!) For a real eye-opening experience see this book.

I heard that is really great read I think I will get that for cruise, I will finish Horn blower series before sailing, I just finished reading Far Pavilions second time I have read it if you like British military stories this book is about India and British, about two clashing cultures

Thanks

Lynne

Boring history lover (as my family label me)

Hi,

I have just read thru all the posts regarding books and no one seemed to mention one of my favorite authors:

Jodi Picoult- Most famously for "My sister's Keeper" but my favorite of hers is "Plain Truth" about an Amish family. She also wrote, "Mercy", "The Pact" and many others. What I like about her writing is that each book is a completely different topic than the one before. She has written about teen sucide, murder, illnesses, religious fanatics and so many other topics.

Have visited the barnes and noble book clubs, one where Harlan Coben was the featured author and he would send threads to the site with all his comments about our comments about his book. He is a truly great writer and very down to earth person.

Thank you for all the suggestions, I now have a few more titles to take withme on "Century", Sep 02.

My brother-in-law tells everyone it is not what Di has seen on vacation, it is how many books Di has read.:rolleyes:

I do sightsee as well as read on vacation!!

Di:)

Love to discover new authors. Here are some recent finds:

Demolition Angel - by Robert Crais

Conflicts of Interest - John Martel

Small Town - Lawrence Block

Old favorites include mostly legal thrillers and crime fiction. I love to go to a used bookstore with a huge thriller/mystery section and browse. Here are some old favorites I've read in the last year or so.

Personal Injuries - Scott Turow

The Last Juror - John Grisham

Mr. Paradise - Elmore Leonard

I'm hoping this thread stays alive.

Faith

My husbands choice of reading. Since I do not read Science Fiction, I have no idea if there are any new good ones. I would love to surprise my DH with a new book for our upcoming cruise.

Carol

Since I have to proofread daily for my job, i don't get to read for pleasure like I once did, so it REALLY needs to be worth it.

Some books I LOVED:

ANGELA'S ASHES

THE POISONWOOD BIBLE

MEMOIRS OF A GEISHA

PILLARS OF THE EARTH

THE HAJ

THE KITE RUNNER

Those spring to mind. I just finished THE UNWANTED. Excelent book. I am trying to get through right now "A FINE BALANCE." I'm having a rough time. Wonderful writer. I don't know what the problem is. Next up is I KNOW THIS MUCH IS TRUE.

Jeffery Deaver's The Vanished Man was great, my husband loved it too. Dean Koontz's Christopher Snow books, Fear Nothing and Seize the Night were so good that I can't wait till he finishes the third novel in the trilogy. And if your looking for something kind of different, Kim Harrison's books on the bounty hunter who happens to be a witch, Rachel Morgan are a lot of fun to read. The first in that series is Dead Witch Walking.

Maura

New out is "Devils on the Deep Blue Sea". This is a blow by blow history of how the Florida cruise lines (NCL, RCL, Carnival) came to be in existence. Many, many interesting tidbits about how Carnival acquired all those cruise lines. (They really do serve the cheapest food!) For a real eye-opening experience see this book.

I usually prefer fiction, but I loved this book! Really fascinating read! Anyone who enjoys cruises should enjoy this book.

Terri

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to those who have taken the time to add their favorite reads. I just finished The Big Stone Gap series, by Adriana Trigiani thanks to this thread and really loved all three books. They reminded me of the Mitford books by Jan Karon, charming with complex characters.

I'm saving the Kite Runner and Middlesex for my cruise next week, based on recommendations. Keep adding to the list, it's great!

• 4 weeks later...

I have read all four books in the series, if you enjoy early man type stories, including man taming the first horses, domesticating first wolf, new ways to start fire, etc all in the background of one woman's life, you will enjoy this series,

I would like some recommendations on historically accurate romance novels, I love learning how people lived in early days, or in different events in history

Thanks

Plumeria

I have read all four books in the series, if you enjoy early man type stories, including man taming the first horses, domesticating first wolf, new ways to start fire, etc all in the background of one woman's life, you will enjoy this series,

I would like some recommendations on historically accurate romance novels, I love learning how people lived in early days, or in different events in history

Thanks

Plumeria

Loved Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett, set in the years 1123 through 1174.

I recently read "If Only It Were True". It was a really good read.

My sister had trouble finding a copy of the book in VA---

Just today I went to the movies and saw "Just Like Heaven"......

I do believe it is the same story......in any event----

both the book and the movie are worth the time.

Just finished reading The Distant Land of My Father by Bo Caldwell. It's mainly a story about life in Shanghai between approximately the 1930's and 1950's. Entwining that story is a great story about a father/daughter relationship. Either way it's a good read, particularly for those who have recently been to Shanghai or those going soon.

I liked The Kite Runner too.

Archived