Condition of Maasdam

NJCruiser923

Just spent 42 days on her. She looked to be in very good condition. Aside from a few very minor things we noticed, it appears she has recently been thru refurb...but I aint sure about that. The beds, food and entertainment was great....but if you cruise her after Dec...don't expect to see the lovely adagio strings...:(

We were on the Maasdam October, Montreal to Fort Lauderdale. Outside cabin with absolutely no issues on the condition of the ship. Our room was relatively clean (had to have attendant reclean the bathroom as someone had used it after they had done inital cleaning). No crumbs, rings or sticky places in room. One of the cleaner ships we have been on. Food was the best we have had on many cruises. Cruise staff was the only downside. Apparently there was a problem with a couple who were dismissed from the ship before the end of the cruise.

We sail Maasdam a lot and find her in great condition. Sure, there is a ding or dent here or there and a bit of worn carpet but nothing worthy of worry or distress IMO

We have two more cruises booked on her. :)

Thanks for the "link." What I'm hoping is that HAL keeps some sort of chamber music on the longer voyage. I understand the changing demographic on board, but the passengers on the longer cruises really enjoy the Adagio Strings. On the Atlantic Adventurer (45 days) last October, I had to get into the Explorers' Lounge early if I wanted a seat. Passengers were standing in the hallway listening and enjoying.

regarding the 'changing demographics', our recent Maasdam cruise featured the talented adagio strings and a very youthful and upbeat solo guitarist named 'Brandy' (I think). I am sure she was very good.....by way of comparison, the adagio strings had packed houses most every night while Brandy warbled to an empty show lounge.....felt for her :(

Surly the ship's management took note of this fact..hopefully...

We are looking at the Jan 4th, 14 nights on the Maasdam. Since we never been on the HAL before, just have a few questions.

Do they have anytime dining like Princess?

How's the dance floor for dancing? large, small, crowded, dance music?

How many dance floors are on this ship?

How late is the buffet up at the Lido deck open? Are they open all night long?

I think that's it for now.

Thank you in advance for your help in answering these questions.

Do they have anytime dining like Princess? YES

How late is the buffet up at the Lido deck open? Are they open all night long? No. Usually dinner ends around 7:30 depending on late shore excursions etc. They have a late nite buffet in Lido, usually from 11:00 - 1200

I was aboard Maasdam in February, 2012 and I found it in very bad condition comparing to other HAL ship that I have been cruising (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Ryndam, Noordam). The lifts look very tired, scratched everywear. In some areas it was very very hot - problem with air-conditions. Toilets flush after 3-5 times of pushing the button, and maintenance used to come tou our cabin every other day. Also we had some problems with diesel generators, and ship was mooving very slowly for 6 days (so our time in ports was cut a lot). Condition of Maasdam make me not to go to Carnival in Rio cruise, as I am not going to sail on her anymore.

The Maasdam was our first HAL ship and it will always be our favorite ship.

We booked her before I discovered CC. Good thing too - as according to all the reports here in 2004 she was falling apart :eek: and everyone should avoid her. Well, we didn't cancel - but took a chance and sailed. We never found anything much wrong. We had a delightful time. Maasdam is a ship everyone should experience once - then make your future cruising decisions on her based on YOUR experience.

For us ... we are looking at schedules again for another chance to sail her. :)

Archived