Why do people queue for dinner??

bazzaw

Don't forget those little slots in the front of your cummerbund - which were originally used to store gentlemen's gaming tickets . They are ideal for dry wafer biscuits - and possibly even small cheese slices.

Barry

Cruachan’s standing at the door

For thirty minutes, maybe more.

He must be starving! Maybe, hey

He’s only had four meals today.

Waiting at the head of the line,

In good shape and feeling fine;

The chefs don’t know what’s in store

As if they did they’d have cooked some more.

On your marks, the doors fly back

He’s scuttled through the merest crack.

Soup, salad, entrée; that’ll do

Until they come with the oxtail stew.

Would you like some more? The waiter said,

Yes please J says and nods his head.

His wife sits by and her eyes narrow,

It’s her turn to push him home in the barrow!

Cruachan’s standing at the door

For thirty minutes, maybe more.

He must be starving! Maybe, hey

He’s only had four meals today.

Waiting at the head of the line,

In good shape and feeling fine;

The chefs don’t know what’s in store

As if they did they’d have cooked some more.

On your marks, the doors fly back

He’s scuttled through the merest crack.

Soup, salad, entrée; that’ll do

Until they come with the oxtail stew.

Would you like some more? The waiter said,

Yes please J says and nods his head.

His wife sits by and her eyes narrow,

It’s her turn to push him home in the barrow!

Bravo Cap'n, bravo! :o)

J

Based on my experience on QM2 (ten or eleven voyages)the side doors and the main door are all opened at the same time. No one "sneaks in" through the side doors, I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that ("sneak in", as you suggested) even it it was possible.

Yes Salacia, I put the word sneak in quotes to try to indicate that using the alternate doors was anything but. Sorry if my intent didn't come across clearly.

Yes Salacia, I put the word sneak in quotes to try to indicate that using the alternate doors was anything but. Sorry if my intent didn't come across clearly.

Hi Karl_nj. Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. Regarding the side doors, once one knows their table location, to me it makes more sense to use the side doors if your table is on the main level rather than walking up the stairs to the main entrance and then walking down to the main floor. It's only a few stairs up and down, but in a gown and high heels, every step counts :eek::) Cheers, -S.

Having worked in banquet service at large hotels and restaurants for many years, I can tell you, it is preferred when all of your guests arrive at the same time. It is much faster for them. The worst thing for a dining room waiter is when you have guests arrives 15 minutes after everyone else. This means more trips back to the table and more trips to the kitchen.

Do you know why the dining room waiters carrry those huge trays stacked with food! It's not because they are trying to become body buiders. It's because it is quicker and less work for them to carry 10 plates once then carry 1 plate ten times.

Nice to see another, who knows what it's all about. We're in the catering field & love chatting it up with the staff. We ALL know what it's like getting the unruly customers who think the world is there to serve them.

Based on my experience on QM2 (ten or eleven voyages)the side doors and the main door are all opened at the same time. No one "sneaks in" through the side doors, I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that ("sneak in", as you suggested) even it it was possible.

We were 2nd seating and would frequently go dancing in the Queen's Room before dinner. We would enter the dining room through the back door and walk to our table. No sneaking involved. It was just easier than having to go through the art gallery and around to the front door.

But I agree with the OP that it makes no sense to wait in line as you sit at the same table, and frequently in the same seats.

In general, if we saw a line for something, we would go do something else for a little while and then come back. It was much better to walk through the Chart Room or Golden Lion and see if there was anyone to chat with than wait for the dining room.

Very informative thread--thanks for raising the question, Bazzaw. Otherwise, I'm sure that if I had seen a line for dinner I would have simply gotten at the end of it without asking. :o Now I'll look like a savvy traveler, "sneaking" in the side entrances every night!

I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

- How and when do you find out your table assignment?

- Do the waiters start serving everyone else at the table if someone is late, or do they wait for the last diners at the table to arrive?

- What time do you need to be out of the Britannia from the early seating?

I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

- How and when do you find out your table assignment?

- Do the waiters start serving everyone else at the table if someone is late, or do they wait for the last diners at the table to arrive?

- What time do you need to be out of the Britannia from the early seating?

1) There is a card in your cabin when you arrive with the table number.

2) Usually not straight away, they will delay in case others arrive a little later, so your table will be served last in the order.

3) 8 ish, subtle pressure is applied if you linger too long. The waiters need to prepare tables for second sitting. (Another reason why they don't like diners swanning in late IMO.)

David.

Our first crossing coming up in August. Should we notify our waiter or Md' if we will be dining elsewhere one evening? I would hate to delay service to our table mates should the waiter assume we were running late. Thanks.

Harriet

I would normally advise my tablemates and the waiters if I was to be absent, I always think that it is just common courtesy.:)

• 5 weeks later...

Solo traveler, first crossing on Cunard scheduled for November 2013. Someone said something about "checking out" your table in the dining room when you board. If for some reason I was uncomfortable with the location, can I request a change? And do you do this right after boarding? Not sure how it's done, thanks!

Jane

Solo traveler, first crossing on Cunard scheduled for November 2013. Someone said something about "checking out" your table in the dining room when you board. If for some reason I was uncomfortable with the location, can I request a change? And do you do this right after boarding? Not sure how it's done, thanks!

Jane

Are you in Britannia or the Grills? Either way you may check your table(by the table number card in your room)you then go to the restaurant & check the location, table size etc. If it's not to your liking, see the Maitre D as soon as possible to change it. If you decide you don't get along with your tablemates(yes, it can happen)again see the Maitre D. The Maitre D can also help do reservations for alternative dining ares should you want to change it up a bit(Todd English, Tasting menus in the Kings Court)

Archived