Bringing Wine & Beer Onboard

sjmbruce

Don't you wonder how much of the US$12 a day service charge actually goes to the person making the decision on the wine policy?

I don't believe any part of the service charge goes to the decision makers. The 'tip' is divided among the room stewards, table waiters, head waiters, bar staff and maitre d'.

No limit was enforced on our Dawn Princess cruise in May this year.

I appreciate first-hand recent information. So many of these posts are second and third-hand info and some doesn't even pertain to Princess.

Some of it, at times and IMHO, seems to be from people with an agenda. :mad:

Of course information on the Dawn is of particular interest to us as we are sailing it on our next cruise. ;)

We depared on the Island Princess from San Pedro on November 26th. Had a case of wine plus a 6 bottle wine carrier we got at a winery. Had our luggage tags on both of them. They were delivered to the room OK.

When we dropped our luggage off the porter assured us that HE would be bring everything to our room, so I gave him a big tip. He probable only took it to the security screening area as we only saw the ships personnel handling luggage on board.

We had little portable speakers, an ipod, a walkman disk player and CD,s plus the AC adapters, for music on our balcony, in one suitcase. That suitcase arrived about two hours after everything else arrived. Plus it had been searched! So they do x-ray luggage.

That suitcase arrived about two hours after everything else arrived. Plus it had been searched! So they do x-ray luggage.

All luggage is x-rayed by port security personel (not Perincess personnel) just like at the airports. Just like the TSA, if anything looks like it might be a danger, the luggage will be opened and contents checked.

Just returned home from a 10 day cruise on the Island Princess. I brought two bottles of wine, one in my checked bag and the other in my carry on. My husband brought 24 cans of beer, dividing them between his two bags. He also brought on beer at every port. No problems!

Just returned home from a 10 day cruise on the Island Princess. I brought two bottles of wine, one in my checked bag and the other in my carry on. My husband brought 24 cans of beer, dividing them between his two bags. He also brought on beer at every port. No problems!
Thanks for coming back to your thread to post your experience!

Seems to be the party line . @ families with kids should not be aproblem. I am on the Cribbean Princess next Saturday. Already have a case waiting in FLL. Any word from anyone on the size of bottles? 2 Magnums may be an idea for our party of nine!!

We sail on the Caribbean in February - please report back about how the case of wine went. We used to be able to do that on RCCL but can't anymore. We haven't tried it on Princess yet but would like to if we could.

Thanks,

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from the Crown Princess cruise Dec. 22-29 out of Galveston. I took 2 bottles of wine in my carry on, 2 in my suitcase and a box in my suitcase. All made it through okay. I don't think they paid a bit of attention as it was going through security. All soda and water was in a duffle bag and was delivered to our cabin just fine.

I am glad to hear of your husband bringing beer back onto the ship after visiting a port. We are traveling to Aruba and Curacao in February and may want to bring something back onto the ship.

Just back from the Crown Princess cruise Dec. 22-29 out of Galveston. I took 2 bottles of wine in my carry on, 2 in my suitcase and a box in my suitcase. All made it through okay. I don't think they paid a bit of attention as it was going through security. All soda and water was in a duffle bag and was delivered to our cabin just fine.

Great to know since we sail on the crown in February. How was your cruise?

Vino100:

Enjoyed the cruise very much! We had good service, food and plenty of entertainment to keep us busy. No complaints except for the hour long wait to get the 25 min. tender to Belize. (faster coming back).

Enjoy your cruise!

Lynne

Thanks for the info and the heads up on the tender.

Thanks for the info and the heads up on the tender.

The tender process will always be slow when the ship first arrives. Most passengers want to get off right away, but it takes one to two hours to clear the backlog. If you do not have priority, you need to get a ticket. The non-priority passengers are accommodated as space permits in the order they get a number. The passengers with the high numbers will be eaiting.

On our first cruise in July/2007 - Coral Princess to Alaska leaving from Vancouver . . . smuggled our hard liquor in covered golf water bottles + 2 bottles of wine in checked baggage. No questions; no problems.

On our second cruise in Aug/2012 - Sapphire Princess to Alaska leaving from Vancouver . . . hard liquor in golf water bottles + 4 bottles of wine carried openly in tote bag thru embarkation process. No questions; no problems.

For our most recent cruise (Dec/2012 - Coral Princess thru Panama Canal leaving from San Pedro), we did the following after I found more info on these Cruise Critic Boards: smuggled our hard liquor in covered golf water bottles in checked baggage + filled a case with 8 bottles of wine and about 8 cans of soda then taped a luggage tag to it. Beverage case showed up in our stateroom with other baggage. No questions; no problems. For this 14-day cruise we also bought bottles of wine with dinners in Sabatini's + various beers, cocktails & Cokes from the Princess bars so we felt no guilt whatever and very much enjoyed having the wine to enjoy in our cabin/balcony. Our room steward kept us supplied with clean wine glasses always! Princess has the Rules/Details in place to forbid all this (in case they need to enforce them) but seems to operate under a Don't Ask/Don't Tell actuality.

we did the following after I found more info on these Cruise Critic Boards: smuggled our hard liquor in covered golf water bottles in checked baggage + filled a case with 8 bottles of wine and about 8 cans of soda then taped a luggage tag to it. Beverage case showed up in our stateroom with other baggage. No questions; no problems. Princess has the Rules/Details in place to forbid all this (in case they need to enforce them) but seems to operate under a Don't Ask/Don't Tell actuality.

Not all of this.

Princess rules allow some wine to be brought on board and unlimited amounts of soda.

We sail on the Caribbean in February - please report back about how the case of wine went. We used to be able to do that on RCCL but can't anymore. We haven't tried it on Princess yet but would like to if we could.

Thanks,

Barbara

RCCL recently changed their rules and now allow one wine bottle (750 ml) per person (adult) to be brought on during embarkation.

We took a case of wine with us on the Emerald last spring out of FLL. I put a luggage tag on the box and turned it in along with our other checked luggage and all made it to the stateroom without any problems. We love Total Wines in FLL.

We will be embarking in Beijing in May. Has anyone encountered any issues there with bringing wine onboard?

We boarded in Beijing May 2011 - the first to use the new Tianjin Port. We took 6 bottles of wine - 2 in each check in luggage and carried one each onboard. No problems at all then.

We just returned from 14 days on the golden. we took 8 bottles of wine, 1 bottle of champagne, a bottle of Kaluha and a bottle of Gran Marnier. All carried on openly. Had no problem what so ever. Did pay corkage as needed.

We boarded in Beijing May 2011 - the first to use the new Tianjin Port. We took 6 bottles of wine - 2 in each check in luggage and carried one each onboard. No problems at all then.

Sounds good.

Thanks Billy and Charlie's Mum!

Do you recall if there were there any places to do shopping around the port area?

Sounds good.

Thanks Billy and Charlie's Mum!

Do you recall if there were there any places to do shopping around the port area?

There's a shop inside the new port building in Tianjin. Alcohol and duty free and souvenirs. Just buy it and walk back onto the ship.:)

kind regards & happy cruising!

Archived