Xmas gift from SS to Venetian Society members

zqtchas

We haven't received this "gift". So perhaps it's only the US-based guests who will receive it. But there again, we still haven't been advised of our Venetian Society membership numbers, despite asking SS London office for it three times. Our first SS cruise was in May 2011, and we've now done 30 days on SS, so I doubt we're ever going to get a membership number and hence will not receive this "gift". :D

From reading the posts this sounds like a very clumsy move on the part of SS. How to shoot yourself in the foot with a marketing ploy! As others have said, perhaps not enough to drive guests away but it certainly leaves a bad taste, IMO.

We received our "gift" today. Is Judith Ripka going to replace H. Stern on board?

Does anyone find it ironic that we can't get passenger lists because of confidentiality issues, but Silversea has no problem giving our names and full addresses to the folks at Judith Ripka?

Actually, Roberto Coin had replaced H. Stern on the Whisper when we were aboard in September. Not sure what the other ships have....

A few people mentioned that Judith Ripka had our names and addresses. I just want to mention that the envelope came from Silversea, not Judith Ripka.

Got my card today. Got the same one from Neiman Marcus.

Now this is interesting. I think Judith Ripka shopped this "gift card" idea around to certain premium brands. Silversea must have thought this would be a great goodwill gesture but clearly didn't think it through from the recipient's perspective, or have the creativity to figure out how it should have been positioned.

I am willing to give the new Prez a get-out-of-jail-free card on this one. She was on her Whisper cruise, after all! So maybe the head of marketing committed this faux pas rather than her. ;)

Now this is interesting. I think Judith Ripka shopped this "gift card" idea around to certain premium brands. Silversea must have thought this would be a great goodwill gesture but clearly didn't think it through from the recipient's perspective, or have the creativity to figure out how it should have been positioned.

I am willing to give the new Prez a get-out-of-jail-free card on this one. She was on her Whisper cruise, after all! So maybe the head of marketing committed this faux pas rather than her. ;)

I doubt that the new prez knew nothing about this; all marketing correspondence had to go through her.😱

[QUtheOTE=Herman The Cat;36323273]Actually, Roberto Coin had replaced H. Stern on the Whisper when we were aboard in September. Not sure what the other ships have....

A few people mentioned that Judith Ripka had our names and addresses. I just want to mention that the envelope came from Silversea, not Judith Ripka.

Although the envelope was from Silversea, it was mailed in Atlanta. Usually with this sort of promotion, the "beneficiary" meaning Ripka assumes the cost and handling of the mailing. While I would like to think Silversea didn't give out our names, I am doubtful.

As others have said, we love the onboard experience because of the staff and our fellow passengers, but the corporate office keeps doing foolish things which hurt the product.

Official response from Keith Spondike, Vice President of Marketing at Silversea. DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER!

"Ellen Bettridge has gotten several calls and emails this morning thanking her for the card, and we know of similar programs with Judith Ripka that have been well-received. On the issue of store locations Jessica Stark, Vice President of Communications, The Judith Ripka Companies, Inc. has advised us: 'Should your clients not live near a store, please let them know to call me personally or email me personally at jessica@judithripka.com and I will connect them with a VIP Sales Consultant who will help them personally with a purchase via phone. We want every client to have a positive experience!' "

Cruise Critic members should contact Mark Flager, Venetian Society Manager, at markf@silversea.com for any other assistance or information. Nigella, this looks like your best bet.

while we're at it...is that charity deduction still in place?
As of November, it is. But, SS makes it very clear in the materials we were provided on-board that if you prefer not to make a donation, then you can easily opt-out by contacting the Registration Desk. I realize some (many?) folks would prefer to be asked to opt-in, but it only takes a moment to ring Registration if you'd like to have the donation removed.

...we still haven't been advised of our Venetian Society membership numbers
Nigella, I don't think I understand the intent of your post.

What's the need of a membership number? We've cruised roughly the same # of days as you and don't have a membership number either. But, we've never had a problem without it. We're recognized as members on-board and extended the same privileges when booking.

When we attended the VS event on-board the Whisper in November, I remember the Cruise Consultant announcing SS was approaching 300,000 members now. Pretty impressive.

Is Judith Ripka going to replace H. Stern on board?
No idea. But, I doubt it since Roberto Coin just recently replaced H. Stern on the Whisper.

Speaking of the new Coin boutique, we spoke with the representative and she indicated the store has exceeded their expectations so far.

You know what I would have loved? A short DVD presentation by Ms. Bettridge, introducing herself.. thanking us for our loyalty.. outlining her vision for Silversea's future.. touring the ships (including results of recent drydocks).. and providing a preview of the new Galapagos ship. I think we'd all truly appreciate this kind of gesture.

Yes, it's still self-serving, but there's a big difference: it acknowledges our devotion to Silversea and our interest in what the company is doing. It reaches out in a very personal way (as does service on their ships) and speaks to each and every one of us. I think this gift would have been received with great interest and warmly welcomed as yet another way to strengthen our relationship with Silversea in the years ahead.

(I also like Goldens4's suggestion of providing an OBC as a gift. That, too, is something everyone would look forward to using with pleasure, and isn't that the key to successful gift-giving?)

Nigella, I don't think I understand the intent of your post.

Well the intent of my post wasn't to cause any trouble. I was more making the point that since SS doesn't seem to realise we're VS members, in addition to the fact that we're in Europe, we're therefore unlikely to receive the much coveted "gift".

I would like a VS membership number because my husband has asked SS 3 times to provide it, mainly in order for us to access the 'Venetian Society' Login area of the website. Maybe that area of the site is no different to the rest of the site, but since it requires VS membership number to login, I'm rather curious as to what delights are to be found there ;) and kind of feel like I'm potentially missing out on something.

Well the intent of my post wasn't to cause any trouble. I was more making the point that since SS doesn't seem to realise we're VS members, in addition to the fact that we're in Europe, we're therefore unlikely to receive the much coveted "gift".

I would like a VS membership number because my husband has asked SS 3 times to provide it, mainly in order for us to access the 'Venetian Society' Login area of the website. Maybe that area of the site is no different to the rest of the site, but since it requires VS membership number to login, I'm rather curious as to what delights are to be found there ;) and kind of feel like I'm potentially missing out on something.

Totally understand.

I didn't even realize there was a special section of the website dedicated to VS members. So, since I didn't have a number, I just rang SS at 877-276-6816, selected Option #2, and the gentleman that answered the telephone provide my VS#. The process took him less than a minute. Hopefully, you'll have the same luck as me.

And, don't worry about the gift. We didn't receive it either and we're in the US.

Happy holidays to you and your family!

Those VS members that travel as singles apparently received "only" a $1000 "Gift" versus if you travel as a couple you received a $2000 "Gift".

I would conclude that somewhere in the inner sanctums of Silversea they actually thought this was a "Gift".

If I could respectfully make a suggestion .... I would suggest that in the future Silversea have a member of their team that actually relates to VS Guests!

Marketing promotions that mirror the mass market promotions of the likes of AMEX have risks. The present mischaracterized "Gift" is such an example.

Too bad the new North American Prez began her tenure with this fiasco....

Hopefully Silversea will recalibrate their approach on customer loyalty and do better in the future....

Those VS members that travel as singles apparently received "only" a $1000 "Gift" versus if you travel as a couple you received a $2000 "Gift"...

Oh well, guess we were shortchanged! We only got $1000. Like many others, we figured we couldn't use it and tossed it. Sorry to be deprived of the chance to toss a second one! ;)

Totally understand.

I didn't even realize there was a special section of the website dedicated to VS members. So, since I didn't have a number, I just rang SS at 877-276-6816, selected Option #2, and the gentleman that answered the telephone provide my VS#. The process took him less than a minute. Hopefully, you'll have the same luck as me.

And, don't worry about the gift. We didn't receive it either and we're in the US.

Happy holidays to you and your family!

Unfortunately us poor Brits have to call the London SS office, where customer service is an english term for total inaction.

Archived