Traveling from Pitt to Norfolk

Doggin

I will be traveling soon from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Norfolk, Virginia to catch my cruise...

I was wondering if anyone familiar with making this trip or even familiar with the Washington DC area could give me some suggestions on the best route to take...Do I want to use I-95/I-495 or is there a better route to bypass the DC area?...

Thanks!!! :)

Taking 70 - 270 - 495 - 95 is the most direct route... Probably the quickest depending on the day and time... You could take 15 south from Frederick, MD past Leesburg to VA234 (near Manassas) to 95 (Dumfries) but as one who goes between DC and Pitt. frequently, stick to 95. Just avoid DC Thurs and Fri from 2pm - 7pm, and Sat (south 95) 9a-12p. The whole trip should take you appx 6 hours.

Oh... Please pardon Northern VA drivers... Most of them can't drive and would let there own mother merge in front of them.

Hi, doggin. When are you sailing? Once you get outta the Washington, DC area and are motoring down Interstate 95,(don't stop at King's Dominion - you won't have time) the next route change is at Richmond, VA. You'll want to follow the Interstate 295-EAST signs to Williamsburg, Norfolk, Virginia Beach. This is a left exit from Interstate 95. From there, just follow the above referenced signs to Interstate 64 (same cities/destinations). Do your homework as to the directions to the cruise terminal from Interstae 64, once you pass thru the Hampton Roads Tunnel, it's not difficult, but you have to be on your toes. ENJOY!

Taking 70 - 270 - 495 - 95 is the most direct route... Probably the quickest depending on the day and time... You could take 15 south from Frederick, MD past Leesburg to VA234 (near Manassas) to 95 (Dumfries) but as one who goes between DC and Pitt. frequently, stick to 95. Just avoid DC Thurs and Fri from 2pm - 7pm, and Sat (south 95) 9a-12p. The whole trip should take you appx 6 hours.

Oh... Please pardon Northern VA drivers... Most of them can't drive and would let there own mother merge in front of them.

Having driven from 270 to Norfolk, I can honestly say this: STAY AWAY FROM THE 495/295/95 mixing bowl!!!!! What should have taken us 4 hours took 10!!!!! We sat and sat and sat on 495 trying to get on 95. Coming back, we went up the Eastern Shore coast of Maryland and cut across MD rt 32 to 70. I would highly recommend doing the 15 south route. It may take you a little out of your way, but you'll save loads of time and traffic hassles (plus some very nice scenery).

Happy Sailing :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Doggin,

Great advice irt routes... the traffic around DC & the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel are both very unpredictable... at times gridlock, but then can also be smooth sailing. There is NO rhyme or reason (other than predictable gridlock during rush hour). Where are you staying in Norfolk? I live here, so if you need any assistance, please holler!

Cheers,

Nancy

Archived