Movenpick Hotel Amsterdam City Centre

stretchcruz

Our cruise on the Avalon Affinity leaves on April 15, we are arriving on April 14, and I just booked the Movenpick on Priceline for $85. I think that is a pretty fair price...does anyone have any experience with this hotel? I believe that last year Avalon used it for its gathering point, which would be extremely convenient. Others have said that we could walk to the dock from there. Anyone know?

Thanks!

The Movenpick is a fabulous hotel! We stayed here before leaving for a Baltic Cruise on the Constellation, a Celebrity ship. Staff was wonderful - I had my checked bag "lost" by the airline (got it 4 days later) and they were very helpful making follow-up phone calls. Also there's a shuttle from the airport (can't remember the price) that goes to a number of hotels and the Movenpick is now (as of 2011) one of them. We bought tickets at the counter in the airport and it took us right to the door. Its also possible to go by train - but a hassel with lots of luggage. Then the hotel has/had a shuttle that'd pick up at the train station.

I believe that River Cruises leave from the area between the Movenpick and Central Station so it sould be easily walkable. (I can't remember the specifics but I do know that DH and I walked from the Movenpick to the station area at one point during our stay. It was a lovely walk along the River and there's sidewalk which helps since the roadway is very, very active.) $85 sounds like a great price for the Movenpick - maybe April is cheaper since we were there in July.

There's also a tram stop just across the road from the Movenpick and the trams in Amsterdam are great!!! Its a very walkable city but the trams make it even easier to get to the museums, etc. We've been to Amsterdam for two cruises and love the city!

Don't know where your cruise goes but I'd check out when the Tulip season starts. Not sure if its April or May or June - were missed it but found the Flower Market (Bloom-something) fabulous! Its not too big but was colorful and lovely in July!!!

Have a great cruise!!!

Nice modern hotel

The breakfast is very expensive but a short tram ride to Damtrack will get you some good deals

Yes an easy walk to the river cruise dock maybe 10 min or ask the concierge at the hotel if their shuttle will drop you there

We were on an ocean cruise so the PTA is right next door

We stayed there 2 nights before our cruise

I think the shuttle is this one

http://www.airporthotelshuttle.nl/site/toonhotel.asp

We booked a private taxi it was about 48E one way

http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/SchipholTravelTaxi.htm

Thanks both of you for your input and the links. I'm happy to hear such positive things, I think I got a great rate on Priceline. We are planning to go to Keukenhoff Gardens on Monday morning before boarding the river cruise ship, which overnights in Amsterdam (I think, I better check).

They do have a few shuttle (or at least they did) from the hotel to train station just ask the doorman for the schedule

We lucked out & got a room upon arrival at 8:30am so dropped our bags & went exploring

Enjoy

Lyn

We've only stayed at one Movenpick (Frankfurt) and were very pleased. It had a modern motiff and a wonderful breakfast included. Also we got a kick out of the little yellow ducky in the bathtub.

Hope your stay is as good as ours was!

We also got the Movenpick on priceline for 2 nights. We are going on Viking September 8th so I was very excited when we got this hotel. It sounds like

it is very convenient and we can walk all over from there.

Our cruise on the Avalon Affinity leaves on April 15, we are arriving on April 14, and I just booked the Movenpick on Priceline for $85. I think that is a pretty fair price...does anyone have any experience with this hotel? I believe that last year Avalon used it for its gathering point, which would be extremely convenient. Others have said that we could walk to the dock from there. Anyone know?

Thanks!

Please let us know what your experience with the hotel as we are considering it for our Sept river cruise...post cruise for 2 nights.

Enjoy your trip and I look forward to reading about the hotel!

I'd like to get the Movenpick on priceline for a good price. Was this "name your price" where you didn't know the hotel name, but learned it afterwards? If so, what did it say were the amenties before you bid....4 stars? etc. I may try to bid. Thanks for any help.

I'd like to get the Movenpick on priceline for a good price. Was this "name your price" where you didn't know the hotel name, but learned it afterwards? If so, what did it say were the amenties before you bid....4 stars? etc. I may try to bid. Thanks for any help.

If you bid ( NYOP) on PL look for 4* zone 2

Check Better bidding site to see what others are getting for the same time frame ..you may not get the hotel you want

You will not know the name of the hotel until your bid is accepted ..we got Barbizon Palace this year ... it was fine as well ...good location for walking

Please let us know what your experience with the hotel as we are considering it for our Sept river cruise...post cruise for 2 nights.

Enjoy your trip and I look forward to reading about the hotel!

We stayed at the Movenpick in November. Was a little skeptical at first because of posts I read regarding the location. It is not a far walk from Dam Square at least we didn't think so. The staff at the hotel couldn't help you enough. We really enjoyed the restaurant as well. I know people posted about the restaurant being pricey but living in the New York area we found the dinner to be comparable to any good restaurant here. We were fortunate to get a room looking at the end of the floor with a great river view. I really don't think you will be disappointed with the Movenpick. I would definitely book it again.

Maryann

Thanks!

How did you get the Movenpick for $85?

Did you name your own price? If so, I, too, would like to know what would make me know that it is the Movenpick.....as that is the one I would like. Thanks.

I checked better bidding before, and decided to bid on a 4 star in the City Centre area, hoping for the Movenpick since it seemed to be walking distance to the river cruise. I would have been happy with any of the other ones too, but I'm glad it is the Movenpick. I bid $85 and was accepted right away. It was the name your own price.

Archived