Bernard's Tour St Maarten

johnsak123

Bernard's Tours Drivers know where all of the public bathrooms are and tell you when they make any stop. As far as Orient Beach with kids and what's the problem-The Right side of Orient Beach is a nude beach. Many parents are very cautious about taking children there. Occasionally on the left hand side, you will have topless bathers. St. Martaan in half French and half Dutch. The French side beaches are all at least topless if not totally nude bathing. Be warn entering any beach area on the French side.

If you want to see Maho, hire a private tour of the island with a drop off at Maho. I took my 14 yr old to Orient Beach when we did Bernard tour. We stayed on the left side. He noticed a couple women walking on the beach but they were the ones at home wear floor length coverups ;) (or you hope they are). It was not sleazy or even something you want to ogle. St Maarten isn't that pretty of an island. The French vs Dutch side is interesting. The cab drivers have to carry two cell phones. Calls from Dutch side to Netherlands are "local". I turned my phone on in port and it showed up as Netherlands.

Why is Orient beach a problem with kids? Ours are boys 11 & 13. We want to do the tour with the planes landing. Which is the best for that?

We did the tour that had the brief stop at Orient Beach, and had the longer stop in Marigot - but it also had the stop at Maho Beach for planes - we were only at Orient Beach for maybe 20 minutes - just long enough to hop out of the bus and look around and get a quick drink - and the stop at Maho was a little over 30 minutes, but he had timed it so that we got to see several big jets land, and saw one take off as well! It was plenty of time for us!

We did Bernard's in 2010 and loved it. We had a question our cruise next week. Our driver stopped at a huge "cheap" souvenir shop on the way back to town after the Maho stop. We loved it for kids stuff and would like to stop again but can't remember the name of it. I can't find reference to it anywhere. Does anyone know what the name might be. This was late in the day and several adult beverages later which is why we can't remember the name of the place!!

Thanks,

Mike

We did Bernard's in 2010 and loved it. We had a question our cruise next week. Our driver stopped at a huge "cheap" souvenir shop on the way back to town after the Maho stop. We loved it for kids stuff and would like to stop again but can't remember the name of it. I can't find reference to it anywhere. Does anyone know what the name might be. This was late in the day and several adult beverages later which is why we can't remember the name of the place!!

Thanks,

Mike

I think it is called Rima Beach World? Nobody on our bus wanted to stop, so he passed it - but it was HUGE and had big yellow flags out front -

Dang, I wish I'd have gone in now!

Edited by wrcjr98

Thanks,

Mike

We're sailing on the Silhouette leaving on 1/20. Which day are you going to be in St Marten. If we're on the same tour we will definitely want to stop at Rima to do some shopping

Just back from Benards tour last week. Had a good tour just not as special as first two. We ask for mailman he was not available so we had someone else for a tour guide. Guide did a just ok job, did not talk to much and also only had one bottle of rum punch. Did not stop as much for photos as last time. Still a great tour, just nothing like having the Mailman for a tour guide...

Just back from Benards tour last week. Had a good tour just not as special as first two. We ask for mailman he was not available so we had someone else for a tour guide. Guide did a just ok job, did not talk to much and also only had one bottle of rum punch. Did not stop as much for photos as last time. Still a great tour, just nothing like having the Mailman for a tour guide...

Well that's a little disappointing to hear. Sort it didn't live up to your previous experiences. I'm going to stay positive that we will have a good time with them next week.

Do you remember who your guide was? We had "Sexy", and he was great!!

:confused:

We will be on the Ruby's January 27th sailing. Since you took the group tour can you tell me something about the transportation used? Was it a van, or a mini bus? Was it comfortable? How crowded was it? My DH is claustrophobic so I have to check it out in advance. Thanks :)

Did this tour last year and he had several types of rides. He used regular bus, mini bus and large van. We rode in the mini bus. Great fun!

We're sailing on the Silhouette leaving on 1/20. Which day are you going to be in St Marten. If we're on the same tour we will definitely want to stop at Rima to do some shopping

We are there on Tuesday. Not doing a tour this time though.

We did the tour that had the brief stop at Orient Beach, and had the longer stop in Marigot - but it also had the stop at Maho Beach for planes - we were only at Orient Beach for maybe 20 minutes - just long enough to hop out of the bus and look around and get a quick drink - and the stop at Maho was a little over 30 minutes, but he had timed it so that we got to see several big jets land, and saw one take off as well! It was plenty of time for us!

We just did Bernard's Tour on Jan. 9th. We signed up for Tour #2 and spent a little over two hours at Orient Beach. It was wonderful...such a gorgeous beach! We were able to get lunch at La Playa (where Bernard's drops you off), but it was expensive. They wouldn't take our VISA card because their charges were in Euros, so take cash if you want food or drink there. Rented 2 beach chairs and and an umbrella for $20. There are also restrooms at La Playa. We were only at Marigot for 30 minutes; there is a wonderful French pastry shop (Sarafinas) at Marigot. We were at Maho Beach for 30 to 45 minutes and saw multiple planes land...something I've always wanted to do. Along the way we also went to an iguana farm and stopped to see a little guy on the water who let us hold a sea anemone and a live sand dollar; he had multiple conch shells which he would just let people take. Of course, he expected a tip. We had DJ as a tour guide, and he was good. He offered to let us off at downtown Phillpsburg to shop at the end of the tour, but everyone was exhausted and no one took him up on his offer. It was an extensive tour of St. Martin/St. Maarten. We were pleased.

How far out did you book Bernard's Tour? We are on the Oasis on June and want to book soon but we want to wait to see who is going to go with us on our group. BUT I want to make sure I get a spot while we are there. What are your thoughts?

I booked with Bernard in October for a cruise in mid-December - I originally booked for 4 of us, but then emailed him and added three more people to our group like two weeks before the trip, and he was very accomodating - (so jealous of your upcoming Oasis cruise - I have never cruised Royal Carribean, and I like the looks of the Oasis & the Allure!) Have fun!!

Have a question I am cringing about asking, but anyone who had 2 or 3 year olds, did you take a carseat? Do the mini buses have seatbelts to install a carseat? Or did you just not worry about it?

Just asking about your experience, not looking for a debate please. Thanks. :)

Have a question I am cringing about asking, but anyone who had 2 or 3 year olds, did you take a carseat? Do the mini buses have seatbelts to install a carseat? Or did you just not worry about it?

Just asking about your experience, not looking for a debate please. Thanks. :)

If you're on the mini bus, there are no seatbelts. If you're in the van, there might be. They are very lax with car seat use on the islands. I saw people driving with babies on laps all the time.

I'm a big car seat freak and honestly, I would just not worry about it. You're not going very fast at all and the drivers are very good. Also, it's quick in and out at some spots and it would be a big hassle.