Help Deciding - NCL Sky or RCCL Monarch or RCCL Majesty

LJenning5

-NCL Sky (Miami) - Cheaper, Balcony available, flight to MIA more than Orlando

-Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas (Port Canaveral) - Pricer than NCL, No Balcony available, flight to Orlando cheaper than MIA

-Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas (Miami) - Pricier than NCL, No Balcony available, MIA more expensive flight than Orlando

I have cruised a RCI many years ago and we just cruised NCL Pride Am together last year. We experienced many of the cons associated with NCL on our cruise together but HE had nothing to compare it to. BUT it was the only inter-island Hawaii cruise and worth the NCL stuff you have to put up with.

We had a balcony cabin for NCL Pride of Am cruise and loved having a balcony but that was a long and tiring cruise. This is such a short cruise but we really enjoyed our nightly relaxing on the balcony with wine in our pjs. BUT again this is such a short cruise. We are foodies and were slightly disappointed with the quality of food on NCL Pride of Am. We ate at 4 specialty restaurants because the quality of food at buffet and standard dining rooms wasn't good at all.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thanks!

We sailed the Majesty in October and monarch in December. The Majesty had an updating sooner the the Monarch so it seems newer. If I remember correctly the majesty had flat screens and the monarch had the older types, just a few small things like that. Yes, transportation for us flying from Chicago was Way better into Orlando than into Miami. We ended up flying into ft lauderdale. The Majesty had many Spanish speaking people on board so all announcements we repeated in Spanish and English.....I thought it was annoying. But both a great value for a few day getaway!

and connivence the best, all are about the same over all quality and cruise ports. The Monarch one of my favorite ships will be the oldest, but the best service but no balcony and she is leaving the RC fleet.

If you are looking for warmer weather the ports in South Florida the best. You might try the Jewel out of Tampa great ship.

I have been on Majesty twice and we sailed the Sky this past August. Majesty we had a outside and on the Sky we had the Grand Suite..I enjoyed both.....but to be honest even with the suite, I prefer Majesty....there are a lot of similarities between the 2 short cruises, I am just so comfortable with the RCCL way. Check out flying into Ft. Lauderdale it can be a couple hundred $ cheaper.

I can't believe I didn't think to check Ft Lauderdale Airport! It is $250 cheaper to fly in to FLL. I am so thankful for these boards!

How does everyone get from FLL airport to the cruise ship terminal? What kind of prices did you find?

and connivence the best, all are about the same over all quality and cruise ports. The Monarch one of my favorite ships will be the oldest, but the best service but no balcony and she is leaving the RC fleet.

If you are looking for warmer weather the ports in South Florida the best. You might try the Jewel out of Tampa great ship.

I looked in to that one but the dates don't work for us. We need to go over Easter weekend and utilize our Good Friday holiday so we only have to take off 1 day from work. Tampa would be a great port to leave out of and easy to fly in to. I really wished the dates had worked out.

Thanks for all the info! I really appreciate it.

Can I get some opinions on Great Stirrup Cay vs. Cococay Islands?

HUGE difference. Coco Cay has several beaches that span the entire east and south sides of the island. If you wish, you can find a beach with no other people, and hammocks are everywhere. GSC has one main beach that gets packed with people. Plus, there is only one bar on GSC, but several are set up around Coco Cay. The 2 aren't even comparable. Coco Cay is leaps and bounds better.

HUGE difference. Coco Cay has several beaches that span the entire east and south sides of the island. If you wish, you can find a beach with no other people, and hammocks are everywhere. GSC has one main beach that gets packed with people. Plus, there is only one bar on GSC, but several are set up around Coco Cay. The 2 aren't even comparable. Coco Cay is leaps and bounds better.

Thats kind of what I am seeing in photos.

I have been to CocoCay with RCCL about 23 yrs ago and remember it having plenty of room. But that was so long ago that I am not sure I can count on my memory.

The photos I am pulling up on the various sites of NCL cruisers at Great Stirrup Cay look SO CROWDED.

The Majesty offers Key West and the other ships don't. I enjoy the port a day with the Majesty. Coco Cay is fantastic. Just visited and she is beautiful. Lots of quiet spaces around the island, plenty of beach opportunties. We also fly into FLL(less money) and take a shuttle down to the pier but Royal offers their own transfers (bus) from the airport.

Only thing I would add to what has been said here is that you can get a room with a balcony on Majesty and Monarch. You just have to book a Jr Suite or above. My personal opinion is that doing so isn't worth the extra money on short cruises, but that is just me. We did a Jr Suite on Majesty once and it was like being on a different ship. Majesty was my first cruise, so she has a special place in my heart. :) As does Key West.

I have been on all 3. I'm not sure if you are planning a 4 day or a 3 day, but either way, I think they are more alike than different.

To be honest, I think I like the Sky better, but it might have been because I have been on a Sovereign class ship 4X (Sovereign, Majesty 2X, Monarch) and the Sky was "different" with new things to explore.

The atmosphere is the same on both ships and similar service. I do prefer to not get dressed up on a short cruise so NCL works for me so I can eat in the dining room and not be banished to the buffet, if that is a consideration for you...

That being said, Monarch and Majesty are great ships. Majesty has JR's now and I believe a few other venues that were added since I have sailed on her.

Difference between Coco Cay and GSC are as noted. Coco Cay has more beaches and easy to find a spot by yourself. I also like the snorkeling better on Coco Cay with the submerged plane. Although GSC has some rocks to snorkel around that are pretty good too. If I recall correctly, there is a light house you can walk to on GSC and some other things not available on Coco Cay. I personally would go back to either (I've been to Coco Cay 4X and GSC 3X). They have both changed significantly over the years as the cruise lines have upgraded the islands (some for better, some for worse). You won't have a bad day on either island.

I think I would choose out of Miami and then just decide between Majesty and Sky. Itinerary may be the deal breaker. I enjoy Key West and have not stopped there since 2006. I think if I were sailing a short route, I would choose the one with KW. But then again, I do love my sea days. Ahh...good dilemma to have!

I can't believe I didn't think to check Ft Lauderdale Airport! It is $250 cheaper to fly in to FLL. I am so thankful for these boards!

How does everyone get from FLL airport to the cruise ship terminal? What kind of prices did you find?

Are you going to sail the Majesty? If so we stay at the BOcean in Ft lauderdale......let me know I'll set you up with the reservation supervisor (get a great discount) and they sent us to port on Miami in an escalade suv for 30 bucks a person......it's a 20 cab ride from the airport to hotel

Archived