Poor Old Girl Got the Shaft

Calliope

During this past week the paddlewheel shaft of the AMERICAN QUEEN developed a crack in her shaft. This means that the boat will not be able to use her paddlewheel until the crack is repaired or the shaft replaced. There will be a towboat along side and the Z-drives will be used until the boat goes into layup after the 2012 season ends next month.

During the old days of steamboating the Steamboat Inspection Service allowed broken shafts to be repaired by thermolyte welding, depending on the seriousness of the break. More than likely the U.S. Coast Guard will insist on a new shaft being forged. This is the second time that the AQ has broken her shaft. The first time during 1995 the whole shaft was replaced.

During this past week the paddlewheel shaft of the AMERICAN QUEEN developed a crack in her shaft. This means that the boat will not be able to use her paddlewheel until the crack is repaired or the shaft replaced. There will be a towboat along side and the Z-drives will be used until the boat goes into layup after the 2012 season ends next month.

During the old days of steamboating the Steamboat Inspection Service allowed broken shafts to be repaired by thermolyte welding, depending on the seriousness of the break. More than likely the U.S. Coast Guard will insist on a new shaft being forged. This is the second time that the AQ has broken her shaft. The first time during 1995 the whole shaft was replaced.

(Sigh) More bad luck plaguing their inaugural season. Combined with low water in the lower Mississippi, a hurricane and other more minor setbacks, this has not been the smoothest possible start. The saving grace is the fabulous manner in which the company has responded to these situations. I wish them well in the new year.

Sorry to hear that. Had lunch with one of our clients early December from ABS (American Bureau of Shipping) and he was one that was classifying the AQ back when it was built. He told us that in 1995 the shaft completely cracked because of the weight of the water when the wood soaked it up on the wheel. They had not taken that into consideration. Weren't used to classifying a Steamboat! I'm sure she will have a better 2nd season. It is worth the $$$. I'd go again.

I seriously doubt the gentleman's diagnosis as to why the AQ's shaft broke the first time. If he were a doctor, I would be looking for another physician. On Steamboats dot Org there is a conversation going on about this very issue with an entirely different hypothesis as to what caused the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived