RCI vs. Carnival

Mary&Jim

Since I am a Diamond Member with RCL and a often Carnival Cruiser (8 so far), let's compare the my last two cruises: Mariner vs. Glory

1) As mentioned, RCL does have conceiges lounge
2) Carnival has a waterslide
3) RCL has mini golf, in-line skating, and a rock wall. (Cool if you use it!)
4) RCL had two speciality restaurants (or is it three with Johnny Rockets), Carnival had one.
5) Glory had lots of places to eat outside, Marnier None.
6) Carnival had laundrettes, Marnier nothing.
7) Marniner had RANCH Steak, Carnival had Filet.
8) Mariner - Full size basketball, Carnival - Smaller than half court
9) Carnival - More self serve ice cream stations
10) In my opinion, the food is a toss up. But Carnival has more free speciality stuff (Fish & Chips, Deli, etc.)
11) In my opinion, the activities and entertainment go to Carnival.
12) In price comparisons, CCL is generally less expensive. I guess this makes RCL more upscale.
13) Glory left on a Saturday and the Mariner left on a Sunday - Same embarkation port. Could make a difference to some people.

Hope this helps.

Host Terry

Host Terry you gave the BEST advice. Peter you need to stop reading negative posts and stop being small minded. I am no Carnival or RCCL fan but I do hate it when people continually knock something with no real basis.

Yes Carnival has some old ships that aren't very good. These are reserved for mini cruises and by this they reach a market of people who cannot afford a nicer cruise. RCCL also does this-RCCL just does not have as many older ships doing mini cruises. RCCL also had the voyager class ships-since these are like still 25000 tons bigger then even the Carnival conquest ships-Carnival does not really have anything to compare with this. Does that make these ships better? Yes if you want to go to ice skating shows, putt-putting and rock climbing.

Host Terry calling Johhnny Rockets a "specialty restaurant" is streching it.(by your comment though I think you realize this) We have this at our local mall. It is hamburgers, hot dogs, onion rings, chili, milkshakes-pretty much a glorified MacDonalds with a 50's twist. Why ANYONE would prefer that to the main dinningroom is beyond me.( maybe some finky children) Now I might would go there to order a choc. shake but that is about it. The food is so rich it tends to make me nauseous.

I have taken 4 Carnival cruises and 2 RCCL. I have plans to book Marnier as I would like to try a voyager class ship just because I want that experience. (Not for JR's though-I have had THAT experience as I have already mentioned) If I live long enough though I am sure I will take many more cruises both with Carnival and RCCL and hopefully I do more Princess too;my one Princess cruise was my absolute favorite. Maybe I will try Norweigan and Celebrity too. I just hate flying so that limits my choices.

By the way Peter I do shop at Walmarts-but I also shop Parisan and Riches-Maceys. Depends on what I am going to buy as to where I go. I may not wear Walmart clothes but their deodrant and soap is as good as anywhere else. I see nothing wrong with Walmarts-you get good value for your money there. Helps me to save for all those cruises I take. Now K-Marts is a different story you get cheap quality for a cheap price.( My opinion though-some of you may feel differently)

I like trying different things.NO WAY am I going to box myself into one line.

Archived