Grand, Golden or Star to Hawaii

USVIcruizer

Happy New Year everyone! Having only sailed once with Princess on the Caribbbean Princess, wondering if those of you with more experience can advise which of these 3 ships you'd select and why...looking at 2013 Hawaii cruises. Thanks in advance!

My 1st consideration would be which has the best dates & price; all things being equal I'd choose the Golden because the wonderful husband & wife performing duo Elua are onboard to run the Hawaiian program. They exude the Aloha Spirit & are the hardest working performers I've experience on any ship.

Here's a link to the things available with the Princess Aloha Spirit Program:

http://www.princess.com/learn/destinations/hawaii/cruises/aloha_spirit/index.html

Wow...thanks for that link! We're on the Golden on Jan 30th and had no idea about the enrichment classes!

It is a wonderful program & one of the things that was lacking on our 2004 cruise on the Regal to Hawaii. They will also have some Hawaiian-style food selections but don't expect it to be just like in Hawaii. If you want some great local-style grindz you'll have to get it in port which is something we always do. ;)

If you're onboard during the late evening in Honolulu, I'd recommend the performance in the Princess Theater by a local Hula Halau consisting of keiki (children) dancers with adult musicians & singers...excellent show.

I agree with AstroFlyer - all things being equal choose the Golden. All three ships are basically the same. What sets the Golden apart is David and Leialoha (together they are known as Elua). All Princess Hawaiian cruises will have ukelele lessons, hula lessons, etc. - but David and Leialoha do it so much better.

I don't know exactly when but they will be transferring to the Star when their contract is finished (the Golden will no longer be doing Hawaii runs after this season). David is a regular on CruiseCritic and I'm sure he will post here to tell you when.

Here is another thumbs-up for the show in the Princess Theater the night you are in Honolulu - it is excellent!

Enjoy your cruise - you can't go wrong with any of the three!

Aloha Kakou,

As usual, mahalo for the really nice things that you are saying about us and about the program on the Golden. But, as I always say, I don't think you can go wrong with any Princess ship to Hawai'i. If you love the sea days as well as the islands, it is a great way to go.

As far as us transferring to the Star, that should happen next season which is the 2013-14 season. We just had a meeting last turnaround with Princess and were told that we will be going there. We hope to see as many of you as possible on the Golden for this season and the Star for next.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.om

DH and I have been on all three ships and the Star wins hands down. I loved the covered pool for cooler days. I also loved the waffles and omelets served poolside in the mornings. IMHO the Golden is too small and the Grand lost their Skywalker's club (it's still on the Star). Also, the 4/23/13 Star cruise is stopping in Kona instead of Hilo. I just booked the Star on an inside guarantee for less than $1000.00 per person. Life doesn't get any better.:D

We loved the Golden both cruises to Hawai'i, probably most of all due to Dave & Leialoha of Elua. We would travel on Star if they were onboard.

(Note to Dave...we aren't stalkers, it only might seem that way)

Steve & Pete

I'm not sure if you considered it, but the Sapphire Princess, the newest of the ships you mentioned, is also going to Hawaii early this year. Prices for the February 23rd cruise that I selected are now starting at $900.

The Star, Grand and Golden are the same size, except for the Grand loosing skywalker and replacing it with a new nightclub on deck 5. Do not understand why one poster mentioned that the Golden is to small. The Sapphire is a bit larger and has a somewhat different layout with their dining rooms. Whichever ship you chose you will love the Hawaiian cruise, but I also would prefer to be on a ship with Elua,they are great and put you in the island spirit.

DH and I have been on all three ships and the Star wins hands down. I also loved the waffles and omelets served poolside in the mornings.

The waffles and omelets are available on all of these ships, if not at a poolside stand, then inside the buffet area.

Golden and star are nearly identical. I like them both. However, my favorite ship is the Sapphire, slightly different design. All three ships are nearly identical, however. You can't have a bad cruise to Hawaii!

Aloha Kakou,

As usual, mahalo for the really nice things that you are saying about us and about the program on the Golden. But, as I always say, I don't think you can go wrong with any Princess ship to Hawai'i. If you love the sea days as well as the islands, it is a great way to go.

As far as us transferring to the Star, that should happen next season which is the 2013-14 season. We just had a meeting last turnaround with Princess and were told that we will be going there. We hope to see as many of you as possible on the Golden for this season and the Star for next.

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

Dave ... your link wasn't working ... I think you just forgot the .com at the end:

http://www.eluaworld.blogspot.com/

Aloha Kakou,

Malama Pono,

Dave

(of Elua)

We just got off the Golden where we sailed with Elua. They were great and really made the experience fun. If you play Liar trivia with them, beware they are surprising good liars.

DH and I have been on all three ships and the Star wins hands down. I loved the covered pool for cooler days. I also loved the waffles and omelets served poolside in the mornings. IMHO the Golden is too small and the Grand lost their Skywalker's club (it's still on the Star). Also, the 4/23/13 Star cruise is stopping in Kona instead of Hilo. I just booked the Star on an inside guarantee for less than $1000.00 per person. Life doesn't get any better.:D

How can the Golden be too small? She is the same size as the Star.

We have been on all 3 of the "real" Grand-class ships, and are aware of some differences among them. However, I agree with those who have said "select based on your preferred date". If date isn't a consideration, the Grand does (in our view) have 2 or 3 small drawbacks relative to the Golden and Star: (1) the "Skywalkersectomy" (I liked the view from Skywalkers); (2) the lack of a passenger stairwell at midships above deck 7, resulting in occasional long waits for elevator, or long walks to the forward or aft stairwell. Also, (3) I believe that (in at least in some of the balcony cabins) the wardrobe is smaller on the Grand than on the later Princess ships, with a shorter railing. However, none of these things is a major consideration for us; we will happily go on any of these ships again.

John

Having never been on the Grand -- but hopeful with the 2 cruises I have planned on her - I would definitely go with the Golden or the Grand. I have sailed twice on the Star -- both being very disappointing.

We did the Hawaii roundtrip from LA on the Golden, loved it so much that we booked the Star from SF to Hawaii. It was a completely different experience or should I say, lack of experience. The food was awful and although we had pretty good service in some areas, other areas were completely lacking. Embarkation was a nightmare and entertainment / activity schedule was non-existent. All of these ships have an indoor pool area, which is great for sailing over to Hawaii. I was already past final payment date for my next cruise on the Star or would have cancelled that one. The 2nd experience on the Star was also disappointing. The embarkation was better -- but certainly not up to industry standards. The food was still pretty bad and again, entertainment was lacking big time!! This is the only ship in the Princess fleet I would steer clear of. Oh...and the internet ...such a joke. Never had it take 45 minutes to open one e-mail. We were in the middle of purchasing a home so did have to communicate online. We ended up not getting the home, partly because we couldn't get anything done timely while onboard. We had no such issues on the Golden which was also to Hawaii. This ship and crew were fantastic!!!

We recently sailed for the second time on the Caribbean Princess and this also shows how things should be done. I must say, however, on our first Star Princess cruise (the Hawaii one), our room steward was the best ever -- Alan. My second experience was in a mini suite and the room steward was in way over his head. He didn't have a clue on his duties. We really aren't that demanding -- he just forgot everything! The Star was just too disappointing twice and I usually think one could be a fluke, twice, things need to be looked at. I also think as lovely as it is to sail under the Golden Gate Bridge, the port of SF authorities need to get their acts together. Their staff is a bunch of angry power-hungry agents that shouldn't have those jobs. I never met a nice one out there -- EVER!! But once you get through that....maybe you can enjoy the Grand.

I have sailed twice on the Star -- both being very disappointing.

We did the Hawaii roundtrip from LA on the Golden, loved it so much that we booked the Star from SF to Hawaii. It was a completely different experience or should I say, lack of experience. The food was awful and although we had pretty good service in some areas, other areas were completely lacking. Embarkation was a nightmare and entertainment / activity schedule was non-existent. I was already past final payment date for my next cruise on the Star or would have cancelled that one. The 2nd experience on the Star was also disappointing. The embarkation was better -- but certainly not up to industry standards. The food was still pretty bad and again, entertainment was lacking big time!! This is the only ship in the Princess fleet I would steer clear of. Oh...and the internet ...such a joke. Never had it take 45 minutes to open one e-mail.

Embarkation is more related to the port personnel than the ship being boarded.

We were on the Star 43 days over the last 2 years and enjoyed the ship very much each time. We had no shortage of activities. Activities are scheduled by the Cruise Director, and a bad cruise director could end up on any ship you pick in the fleet as they are not assigned permanently to one ship.

Food is subjective, so I have no idea what I would have thought about the food on your Star cruises. This also can vary by who the Executive Chef is and who that is on a sailing also can change as the Chefs rotate among the different ships.

Thank you everyone for the informative replies, we've narrowed the choice down to the Golden (choice #1) or the Grand (choice #2). Although they leave only 2 days apart, it may come down to which one is better for my work schedule.

Grand prices right now significantly higher, even considering it's 1 day longer. Maybe due to the re-fit, any details on what was done?

Archived