Lets try to sort out the (complicated) ai drinks issues

Hi skioncruises

Yes the Dream consists of Heineken lager which is a hit or a miss taste wise and temperature wise depending on what time and what bar you get it from(best mid afternoon from the lido bar) or Boddingtons(I think) which I not likey.

Were always up till the wee smaw hours but dont go overboard if you pardon the pun but AI benefits us :D If it wasn`t a freebie as such I wouldn`t pay full whack for it and thats not because I`m a Scot just it ain`t worth it anymore.

slainte ;)

Last year on the Majesty was our first cruise since 2007.

One of our favourite memories from our previous cruises was enjoying a couple of cocktails when the ship was setting sail. I have to say the cocktails on the pool deck were very poor and seemed to have the alcoholic content of night nurse. In fact, I stopped drinking them and just had soft drinks to watch the sailing.

Sometimes things seem better when we look back than they really were. Others will be able to make more recent comparisons than I can and feel free to shoot me down on this, but to me they were not proper cocktails.

Another thing, I watched the woman pouring the spirits at the bar one night and the size of measures varied by quite some distance from drink to drink. They were poured straight out of the bottle with no measuring device. I would have to say, if I drank in a restaurant and bar at home, the number of drinks I drink on the ship, I would be transported to bed on a stretcher. I am not disputing the number of drinks, but the alcoholic content of the drinks. I have never been the worse for wear on a cruise and have always had AI. I have wondered in the past if AI pasengers get smaller measures, perhaps in an effort to avoid drunkeness.

I am rambling a bit here but my point is this. I enjoy a drink but not to excess. I like AI as I like to limit my onboard spend. With all the changes to AI and being less than impressed with the cocktails on the Majesty, I wouldn't bother with AI in the future. AI has been a factor (by all means not the only one) in my continuing to book with Thomson. I could get a cruise with another company at significantly less than I pay Thomson.

• 2 weeks later...

I will post images of the drinks menus from Majesty last week later.

Meanwhile

soft drinks by the can are FREE if you have a drinks package

not AI any more, your cruise card now has DP on it

I asked if i had a vodka and orange would I be charged for the orange. The answer was yes so so much for the Thomsons team saying it was sorted :rolleyes:

I will post images of the drinks menus from Majesty last week later.

Meanwhile

soft drinks by the can are FREE if you have a drinks package

not AI any more, your cruise card now has DP on it

I asked if i had a vodka and orange would I be charged for the orange. The answer was yes so so much for the Thomsons team saying it was sorted :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Dave.

Do you mean you would be charged for 2 drinks on AI, sorry....DP, if you ordered a vodka and orange?

If I ordered a Bacardi and coke in a can, do you think that is classed as 2 drinks.

In September they allowed me to get two drinks on one card in fact the waiter in the Jubilee lounge suggested it.

Jim, same here we had our AI as part of booking early,

I am happy with what I have seen on the Bar menu, although Mrs dissappointed that there is no Sangria! on the cocktail menu, as she enjoys one or two during the day when on holiday.

enjoy your cruise

Carrs:D

Hi Carrs,

Like you and Jim we booked early enough to get AI free so not bothered about the change to the drinks menu. Yes, there are changes from last year's but still plenty of free choices for me and if I decide to have something on a suppliment so be it.

We are on a week after Jim for 2 weeks and I have already asked him to leave some! I have left a couple of posts in the past for you Carrs and if you want to share some of the free AI drop me a line to jokecreosite@gmail.com and I'll get back to you.

Thanks for the info Dave.

Do you mean you would be charged for 2 drinks on AI, sorry....DP, if you ordered a vodka and orange? YES

If I ordered a Bacardi and coke in a can, do you think that is classed as 2 drinks. YES, but if you ordered a bacardi and coke the coke would be poured from a can at the bar for free.

In September they allowed me to get two drinks on one card in fact the waiter in the Jubilee lounge suggested it.

I managed to do do that on one occassion by accident. Maybe if you are a couple they just presume the second drink is for your partner

still complicated

Hi Carrs,

Like you and Jim we booked early enough to get AI free so not bothered about the change to the drinks menu. Yes, there are changes from last year's but still plenty of free choices for me and if I decide to have something on a suppliment so be it.

We are on a week after Jim for 2 weeks and I have already asked him to leave some! I have left a couple of posts in the past for you Carrs and if you want to share some of the free AI drop me a line to jokecreosite@gmail.com and I'll get back to you.

Ronjae

sorry not had any updates on this thread, until today so have not looked at the thread.

so appologies in advance if you thought me rude!

hope you are well, im counting the days, weeks and months away.

first holiday in years I can honestly say im excited about.

we booked Thomson as we wanted to not have any hidden extras at the end of the holiday, we also liked the AI idea and the TA gave it as part of the early booking.

Looking at bar menu there is more than enough to meet my taste, and Mrs likes to have a few cocktails, so job done!!:D:D:D

Last year on the Majesty was our first cruise since 2007.

One of our favourite memories from our previous cruises was enjoying a couple of cocktails when the ship was setting sail. I have to say the cocktails on the pool deck were very poor and seemed to have the alcoholic content of night nurse. In fact, I stopped drinking them and just had soft drinks to watch the sailing.

Sometimes things seem better when we look back than they really were. Others will be able to make more recent comparisons than I can and feel free to shoot me down on this, but to me they were not proper cocktails.

Another thing, I watched the woman pouring the spirits at the bar one night and the size of measures varied by quite some distance from drink to drink. They were poured straight out of the bottle with no measuring device. I would have to say, if I drank in a restaurant and bar at home, the number of drinks I drink on the ship, I would be transported to bed on a stretcher. I am not disputing the number of drinks, but the alcoholic content of the drinks. I have never been the worse for wear on a cruise and have always had AI. I have wondered in the past if AI pasengers get smaller measures, perhaps in an effort to avoid drunkeness.

I am rambling a bit here but my point is this. I enjoy a drink but not to excess. I like AI as I like to limit my onboard spend. With all the changes to AI and being less than impressed with the cocktails on the Majesty, I wouldn't bother with AI in the future. AI has been a factor (by all means not the only one) in my continuing to book with Thomson. I could get a cruise with another company at significantly less than I pay Thomson.

I have just been given a bar menu from friends who were on the Destiny in October 2011. Unfortunately my scanner is not working. Just wonder how it compares with the recent menu from the Majesty.

There was 12 cocktails @ £3.40 each. Only two, " Jumping Jack Flash and " Sex on the Beach " had supplements of £1.05..... Cocktail of the day was £2.95. Nine Virgin Cocktails @ £1.90...no supplements Whisky....£2.85.....supplement for some brands £1.05 Canned Colas etc. £1.25 Bottled water 1.5 L.... £1.45 with £1.30 supplement Coffee....£1.40 - £1.65 Irish Coffee, Calypso Coffee etc. £3.15 with £0.95 supplement.

We did not have the AI on the Majesty so don't know if it has changed much since 2011.

from majesty last week

purchasing the drinks package onboard cost £217

also available were:

10 virgin cocktails and 5 cans of soft drinks - £25

20 pints of draught lager - £49.95 (£2.50 a pint)

35 pints of draught lager - £79.95 (£2.29 a pint)

35 cans of boddingtons - £85.95 (£2.46 a can)

drinks 1.pdf

drinks 2.pdf

drinks 5.pdf

from majesty last week

purchasing the drinks package onboard cost £217

also available were:

10 virgin cocktails and 5 cans of soft drinks - £25

20 pints of draught lager - £49.95 (£2.50 a pint)

35 pints of draught lager - £79.95 (£2.29 a pint)

35 cans of boddingtons - £85.95 (£2.46 a can)

Thanks Dave

This sort of package would suit us better as we are not big drinkers ( due to medication, not from choice lol !!! )

Hi!

been on the dream 3 times and enjoyed their drinks package. We are now looking at a free A/I drinks package cruise. Is it similar? will the nice bits still be included eg bombay saffire and my decent caffine fix? Ta

The AI is now called DP which confuses things.

Yes, Bombay Sapphire is free

as for the coffee, not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have booked the A/I drinks package for our Dream cruise can any one tell me if they serve slush puppies and if so are these free on the A/I as I have viewed all the drinks menu's and can't see it there HELP please

• 4 weeks later...

ai available to purchase onboard dream

onboardpackage1.jpg

notice the 'value for money' statement??:mad: and the 'only £219' statement:mad:....not sure about the 'terms & conditions apply' bit??...i didnt buy it..for obvious value reasons:(

onboardpackage1.jpg

notice the 'value for money' statement??:mad: and the 'only £219' statement:mad:....not sure about the 'terms & conditions apply' bit??...i didnt buy it..for obvious value reasons:(

But still no beer/wine/hot drinks/soft drinks packages? :confused::confused: Can't they see this would be an attractive alternative to AI for many passengers - as have Louis on Spirit and Majesty?

onboardpackage1.jpg

I expect that means things like everyone in party has to book, no buying more than 1 drink at a time, no buying drinks for other passengers, the same T&C's you agree to when booking the AI before you go.

Archived